What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackson Hastings

Gareth67

First Grade
What a waste , although I have only seen a few snippets of his play he must have had some ability for the Rorters and Silvertails to go after him . Any young bloke who was working at a ' hard-yakka ' job would kill for the opportunity that these young players have and all due to their rugby league skill .

Now it would appear that he himself is also headed into the real world where you must work to earn a living and if you have an arrogant mouth you could expect it to be closed very quickly in no,uncertain way . Can never understand why they behave this way when they have the world at their feet ?

Old Timer

Coach
What a waste , although I have only seen a few snippets of his play he must have had some ability for the Rorters and Silvertails to go after him . Any young bloke who was working at a ' hard-yakka ' job would kill for the opportunity that these young players have and all due to their rugby league skill .

Now it would appear that he himself is also headed into the real world where you must work to earn a living and if you have an arrogant mouth you could expect it to be closed very quickly in no,uncertain way . Can never understand why they behave this way when they have the world at their feet ?
Me and you were born, did the chores around the house for pocket money (sometimes), went to school and had a part time job in the holidays, left school and went to work for hard task masters who would sack you for small indiscretions, so we learnt quickly who was the boss.
People like Hastings and others are born, do minimum schooling, signed up at an early by RL clubs and put into full time development squads and have never had a real job in their life.
They live in a closed society much like gladiators and they are fawned upon from a very early age.
We create this problem by allowing to happen.
Imagine if a full time RL contract was contingent upon you finishing high school or having a trade certificate or completing 2 years work experience for early leavers you wouldn't have any players.

ouryears

Bench

Young yobbos
Not many brains
Maybe some drugs
Up themselves
Ungrateful brats

I have seen kids raised in very good families with lots of love and discipline still turn out like this.

Damn shame

Some turn it around, depends if he has any one around him who can set him straight....that HE is willing to listen to.

ouryears

Bench
Me and you were born, did the chores around the house for pocket money (sometimes), went to school and had a part time job in the holidays, left school and went to work for hard task masters who would sack you for small indiscretions, so we learnt quickly who was the boss.
People like Hastings and others are born, do minimum schooling, signed up at an early by RL clubs and put into full time development squads and have never had a real job in their life.
They live in a closed society much like gladiators and they are fawned upon from a very early age.
Imagine if a full time RL contract was contingent upon you finishing high school or having a trade certificate or completing 2 years work experience for early leavers you wouldn't have any players.
Spot on mate.
So very true.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
No matter how many rising young stars there are (Cleary, Cotric, Ponga to name a few), there is always a handfull that fall like lead balloons.
Sport has always had it this way, tennis, soccer, basketball etc.
Players like Hastings with loads of talent but with mental demons they cannot control no matter how many courses they attend or how many counselling sessions they do. It just hits the wall and never gets through.
I hope just for the fact he is a young man that he can at least find something that will fulfill his life and not end up in jail or something worse

denis preston

First Grade
I watched an article on him and his dad and his dad (Kevin) said he wasn’t around when Jackson was growing up! Maybe this is a factor no father figure!i thought when him and bird coming through we would have a tandem for the next decade fast forward to today one is overweight and over rated and the other has been run out of three clubs due to personality and attitude issues

Very good point. He left us on a great deal from the roosters that MAYBE included paying off his mothers gambling debts. His playing problem all along was speed , a factor that stopped his dad ( who was a very very good player ) from playing for Australia. Much more suited to playing in England and that's where he will probably end up.

Gareth67

First Grade

True, ever so true , worked at the fruit shop on afternoons and then Flemmings supermarket on the Saturday until noon . Still went to school with the cardboard cut-outs of breakfast cereal packets in the soles of my shoes and wore hand-me-downs . Was fortunate enough to be part of a family of 8 , we never had much , certainly no holidays like some families did , but our parents gave us all the love in the world and that as we all know is ever so precious.

Today's generation is different , good on their folks for providing them with whatever they can , as they work hard enough, however decency and common courtesy also goes a long way in life . Perhaps it was indeed that Hastings never had someone to guide him in his younger years , but he is now past the age of excuses and as a young man should have realised by now that a bit of dignity is also what is required.

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
Thing is, most NRL players are in their early 20’s, full of testosterone and big egos, yet most manage to have successful careers. There are plenty of wankers playing NRL, in fact there was a whole other thread about it

Don’t know what is up with Hastings and I don’t want to know.

He must be a whole new level of dickhead to have a a whole squad not want to play with him.

Saintsified

Bench
Look he is only 22 making massive mistakes, however I wouldn't be totally casting him off. If you can rehabilitate drug offenders like Sharks then this kid has potential. Big deal character clashes, he will mature and come out the other end a better person in the end.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Look he is only 22 making massive mistakes, however I wouldn't be totally casting him off. If you can rehabilitate drug offenders like Sharks then this kid has potential. Big deal character clashes, he will mature and come out the other end a better person in the end.

Your probably right Saintsfield.
I think his best bet it to go to England and away from his bad influence and people who tell him he is great

Saintsified

Bench
Your probably right Saintsfield.
I think his best bet it to go to England and away from his bad influence and people who tell him he is great
Yeah I wouldn't hold this against him for the rest of his life. He will wake up to himself, for God's sake he didn't do a Matt Lodge or fall asleep in front of a police station or something. Means he could still end up coaching NSW when he is in his 40s one day. Everything is possible.

ouryears

Bench
At least choc could actually play
Choc must have been fairly popular with guys he played with, I went to 2 of his fights and both had almost the full grade teams at both......and they WERE cheering for him, not for the good guy!

FlameThrower

Bench
Seems to be getting worse Ch 9 reports Cheery Evans and Hastings involved in punchup and not 1 st time that has occurred...I think he is on the long walk off the short plank...

Latest posts