What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackson Hastings

Dannyboy80

Juniors
I know a fella who absolutely idolized Kevin Hastings growing up, massive rorters fan. then got the opportunity to play touch footy against him and Jackson a while back. Reckons by the end of the match he wanted to punch them both out.. Said Jackson was very much a chip off the old block, Kevin maybe just came from an era when personality clashes and fistfights among teammates never really saw the light of day..

Chappells

Juniors
Below article posted around the time when Hastings went from Roosters to Manly

Why Dragons backed away from Carney, Hastings bids

Foxsports.com.au
-
October 9, 2016 - 8:36 pm

St George Illawarra have put a red line through troubled Todd Carney and Jackson Hastings joining the Dragons.

The club was initially keen to negotiate with both playmakers as replacements for Benji Marshall next year but has made an abrupt about-face.

It is understood the Dragons were warned off signing 30-year-old Carney by the NRL, while they decided not to pursue 20-year-old Hastings due to concerns about whether his personality would fit into their squad.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...b/news-story/2b243fb28729b1dd461f130dd1a3f3d8

slippery5

Juniors
Kevin hastings was on Sterlo on the couch ( i think ) & he was talking about his own mental health & suicidal thoughts he had been dealing with. Maybe seeing his father go through some tough times, has turned him into a angry man.

Bench
Kevin hastings was on Sterlo on the couch ( i think ) & he was talking about his own mental health & suicidal thoughts he had been dealing with. Maybe seeing his father go through some tough times, has turned him into a angry man.
I think any son or relative dealing with mental illness would have emphaty for the person, not angry.
Hastings need to be reminded that he is playing in a team. It’s not all about him.
He is wasting the talent he has. Sad but hope he finds a home. I doubt whether any team would risk signing him.

ouryears

Bench

DCE is a wanker.
Hastings was not necessarily all at fault. DCE previously fell out with Stewart and Watmough with his smart arse attitude.

There is another side to the story with Manly considering suspending DCE too.

We need to remember DCE is a dick head as well.

Story below.
"It’s not the first time Cherry-Evans has fallen out with his teammates.

"DCE" famously fell foul of former stars Brett Stewart and Anthony Watmough, but emerged as the man the club wanted to build around.

The club has addressed the issues with Hastings, his manager and the Rugby League Players’ Association in an attempt to work through them, as well as provide welfare support.

But the relationship has broken down to such an extent that he won’t get a call up to the NRL side, despite the club’s injury and salary cap dramas.

Cherry-Evans cut an equally lonely figure as the last man off the training paddock at the Sea Eagles' Narrabeen headquarters on Thursday, staying behind to work on his goalkicking as the rest of his teammates wandered off earlier.

But the vexing issue of whether Manly players actually don't want to play with Hastings was no laughing matter.

Aked whether the Sea Eagles squad had made it clear they don't want to play with Hastings for the remainder of the season, winger Brad Parker stressed:

"That's NOT true. No, that's not true.

"Baz [Trent Barrett] has talked to us and it's not up to the playing [group] whatsoever, it's all up to Baz. He's talked about it and it's his decision

. We've talked about it and all we can do is play our best footy individually and as a team

Brad Parker
"I like Jackson, everyone likes Jackson, he's a good kid. I'm not going to talk about it too much more."

It was a sentiment quickly supported by Addin Fonua-Blake.

"That's definitely not the case [That Hastings teammates asked not to play with him]," Fonua-Blake said.

"We're all mates with Jackson and it's unfortunate what happened to him.

He's a good bloke.

To me, he's a good bloke.

I can't speak on behalf of anyone else, [but] I've found him really good and it's unfortunate what happened to him."

Cherry-Evans was at his peerless best in the Sea Eagles' record
54-point drubbing of Parramatta last month, yet he will be under even more scrutiny as Manly try to emerge from a mini funk which has seen them toppled by the Titans and Tigers.

"He's going to work even harder and lead us in the next game," Parker said.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ch...n-over-hastings-incident-20180419-p4zaik.html

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I think the point is he's been away from the Dragons for three years, through two NRL teams and still not cemented a first grade spot.
Maybe he's not as good as everyone thinks he is, he's definately not as good as HE thinks he is.

I'd say off to the ESL, find a calm place in his head, concentrate on improving his skills and making a name for himself. There are so many players who have moved to the ESL during troubled times only to come home a few years later to pick up an NRL contract.

I'd say off to the ESL, find a calm place in his head, concentrate on improving his skills and making a name for himself. There are so many players who have moved to the ESL during troubled times only to come home a few years later to pick up an NRL contract.

I haven't seen much of him play, but someone said lack of speed was his problem, ESL being a slower game may suit him.
I'd be surprised if any NRL team would give him a chance at this stage.

hewi

Bench
I’ve never met Hastings however he strikes me as a FIG JAM. F##k I’m good, just ask me. Life in many ways is all about choices, if he had made a different choice he might well have ended up as our first choice half. I watched him play a number of games for the Roosters and IMO he isn’t a scratch on Hunt. So, thank you Jackson for making that choice.

Below article posted around the time when Hastings went from Roosters to Manly

Why Dragons backed away from Carney, Hastings bids

Foxsports.com.au
-
October 9, 2016 - 8:36 pm

St George Illawarra have put a red line through troubled Todd Carney and Jackson Hastings joining the Dragons.

The club was initially keen to negotiate with both playmakers as replacements for Benji Marshall next year but has made an abrupt about-face.

It is understood the Dragons were warned off signing 30-year-old Carney by the NRL, while they decided not to pursue 20-year-old Hastings due to concerns about whether his personality would fit into their squad.

While I'm not a fan of Carneys, this is a disgrace.
It's ok to have a player who spent time in prison for stomping on a guys head, it's ok to have a player who should have spent time in prison for a drunken drug fuelled rampage in New York, it's ok to have numerous players that have beaten thier wives or girlfriends.

But a player peeing in his own mouth, hurting no one, is a step to far?

Brutalitops

Juniors
While I'm not a fan of Carneys, this is a disgrace.
It's ok to have a player who spent time in prison for stomping on a guys head, it's ok to have a player who should have spent time in prison for a drunken drug fuelled rampage in New York, it's ok to have numerous players that have beaten thier wives or girlfriends.

But a player peeing in his own mouth, hurting no one, is a step to far?
Carney's rap sheet is like 7 or 8 offences long. Now I agree none are as bad as lodge, but let's not pretend it's a simple as getting fired for peeing in his mouth

Saintsified

Bench
I think the point is he's been away from the Dragons for three years, through two NRL teams and still not cemented a first grade spot.
Maybe he's not as good as everyone thinks he is, he's definately not as good as HE thinks he is.
I think he is better than he thinks he is, raised his profile ten fold. Very smart.

Saintsified

Bench
Carney's rap sheet is like 7 or 8 offences long. Now I agree none are as bad as lodge, but let's not pretend it's a simple as getting fired for peeing in his mouth
He actually didn't piss in his mouth, was a perception picture. Either way give the man his contract let him play. NRL make out like they are God or something. Plenty players did worse things and still play on.

SBD82

Coach
Just as a caveat, I think we hold our sportspeople to unrealistic expectations, and the media loves a story. Honestly, if you are seeking moral guidance for your children from rugby league players, you've got bigger issues than your kids idolising a drop kick.

As I understand it, carney's issue is that he shows no contrition. When other players have f**ked up, the NRL has set them tasks (counselling, rehab, community work) and if they complete them, they are welcomed back. Because Carney wasn't willing to play the game, he wasn't given another chance.

Gareth67

First Grade
Without having to say - " but back in the old days " However I believe that the leniency shown today by the games administrators are just so relaxed compared to what they were 50 years ago .

The Sydney rugby league premiership was the showpiece of the sporting calendar and as such it's image was 'squeaky clean ' . None of the shannegians that occur in today's game , or should I say outside of the game would be tolerated , all players had to toe the line or their careers would come to a screeching halt .

I am not referring to the all-in brawls that were quite common but more so to the behind the scenes of some-down- right unlawful actions by some , that would have a lesser person facing a man wearing a curly white wig. Enough said on the score , but getting back to young Hastings , it now seems that the chap has been the victim of some rather dubious pranks and also that the blame should be shared by other parties in the team .

If this is indeed the case , then one can only hope that each takes their share of the load rather than have it all rest on the shoulders of one whom appears to know any better .

ouryears

Bench
Without having to say - " but back in the old days " However I believe that the leniency shown today by the games administrators are just so relaxed compared to what they were 50 years ago .

The Sydney rugby league premiership was the showpiece of the sporting calendar and as such it's image was 'squeaky clean ' . None of the shannegians that occur in today's game , or should I say outside of the game would be tolerated , all players had to toe the line or their careers would come to a screeching halt .

I am not referring to the all-in brawls that were quite common but more so to the behind the scenes of some-down- right unlawful actions by some , that would have a lesser person facing a man wearing a curly white wig. Enough said on the score , but getting back to young Hastings , it now seems that the chap has been the victim of some rather dubious pranks and also that the blame should be shared by other parties in the team .

If this is indeed the case , then one can only hope that each takes their share of the load rather than have it all rest on the shoulders of one whom appears to know any better .
Gareth, not really mate.

The players did much much worse things 30, 40, 50 years ago, BUT there were no mobile phones, no walking cameras everywhere, no internet, no social media and no instant news.

The kangaroo tours where players walked nude through the local streets and fields, it was reported but was laughed off as Aussies having fun.

No consequences.

Today you would get your contract torn up.

Players drinking until 4am on the morning of the game, it was reported but laughed off as what a bloody legend they are!

Our own boys.. Langlands, Raper and Smith were the worse for drinking till the morning of the match.

Or some might say the best at it, LOL

No consequences.

Today you would have a torn up contract.

Players meeting behind sheds to settle a square with another player, punching each other out.
Reported but accepted as a get square was Aussie.

There are hundreds of examples, far far worse than Hastings or Carney.

But today everything is banned.

And social media keeps it running for weeks.

A punch up between DCE and Hastings, Gee whizz.

I wish Davey Warner played league, then we might see a real punch up.

Last edited:

Latest posts