What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jacksonville Axemen Rugby League Supports Local Rugby Union Clubs

spinnerhowland

Juniors
After reading some of the recent posts in regards to questions on the "War" between the two Rugby Codes in the USA, I felt a need express the Jacksonville Axemen stance on this issue.
The Jacksonville Axemen Rugby League Club is drawing players from both the Jacksonville Mens and the University of North Florida (UNF) Rugby Union teams, in addition to players from other sports. We appreciate their support and are fully aware of the struggles that they face as an emerging sport here in the USA, just like we do.
We also acknowledge the huge base of Rugby Fans that all Rugby Union sides in the USA touch. We DO NOT want to form a division between the two codes.
We have offered both the JAX and UNF teams partnerships to sell Axemen season tickets and allow them to keep 75% of the revenue as a way for them to raise funds for their clubs. The UNF club will actually have exclusive sales rights on the UNF campus for the first 2 weeks of tickets sales to help them raise as much money as they can. They are also working with the UNF Athletics department to help line the field and do some pre and post match work and will make additional dollars from that as well. We are allowing both clubs to display banners at our games and hope to include them in most of the game day operations. We are allowing them to share our practice field during our season so that we may attract some of their players AND when we get into the Fall Rugby Union season they may get some of our players to play for them.
The general USA public is not even aware that there are two codes, and although we DO want to see Rugby League become a great sport here in Jacksonville, we DO NOT want to do it at the expense of the local Union clubs.
Our seasons do not overlap so we hope to provide an avenue for the local Union guys to stay in shape during their off season by either trying to play League or at least join our practice sessions.
The Jacksonville Axemen are starting at a level of marketing and professionalism above both the Union sides. This is in no way because of the Union Clubs lack of commitment, but merely those people involved in the Axmen having more time and resources to put into the venture. We feel that because of the support they offer us, we should return the favor to them by helping where ever we can.
The Jacksonville Axemen Rugby League Team considers both the local Rugby Union sides as partners.

Lantana

Juniors
Spinner congrats.

What you probably don't know yet but will soon find out it that Rugby Union will become the way for your Rugby League guys to stay firt in their off season.
There is definately a step up in the levels of fitness required when playing league over union.
I actually see this as the way forward for the sport in the States.
correct me I'm wrong, Spinner, but Union is very much and old boys club type activity where Union is an excuse to get together for a drink.
If Rugby League's entry level to the market place is over and above that there is no reason the two can't co-exist. With Rugby League considered the fast-paced hich collision cousin of Rugby Union that is the social aspect of Rugby.

ali

Bench
Good stuff. Despite the past, there are many good joint League and union ventures going on in places such as Britain. Even dual code operations in Russia (of which I have no idea how cooperative and successful they are). But anyway, it would be great if League & Union work closely together in the States.

Lantana my brother has just started playing union in Augusta (due to no other decent options including no soccer). It sounds as though it's an extremely social pub type standard. But they play all over Georgia and the surrounds. He's never played either code of rugby before, and is not really a union fan, but even he can see they have little idea what they are doing. So the standard can't be too flash.

yankeerugger

Juniors
having worked very hard at promoting rugby both on the mens club, colegiate, and <19 levels.... I would think that League would be a much easier sell to the american public. Fewer 'intracasies' (sp?) and fine arts (contested scrums, rucks, mauls, lineouts), that and we are used to gridiron style "downs" anyways... I always have an easier time explaining RL rules to american newbies then I do RU rules.