What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jacob Host

getsmarty

Immortal
Jacob Host home at St George Illawarra Dragons

Andrew Parkinson
May 18, 2016, 6 a.m.
https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...01180/home-grown-host-lives-dream-at-dragons/http://twitter.com/share?url=http:/...Host lives dream at Dragons&via=theleadernews

It has been a whirlwind couple of weeks for young St George Illawarra forward Jacob Host.
The Renown United junior made his NRL debut for his boyhood club against the New Zealand Warriors before being selected for the Junior Kangaroos.

Host’s good month was almost capped off by realising a childhood dream – running onto UOW Jubilee Oval as a first grade player – against Canberra last Thursday night, the ground he grew up watching his Dragons with his family on the hill.
Host was originally named but eventually missed out on the final 17 that downed the Raiders in golden-point extra-time but told The Leader the last month had been a fairy tale.
“[Playing at Kogarah] is something I’ve dreamed about since I was a little kid,” he said.
“Being a fan since I can remember, growing up supporting the Dragons, coming to home games, sitting when there used to be a hill [at the northern end].
“We used to sit with the family on the hill before we had to move over to the hill that was left.
“I’d be jumping on the jumping castle and rolling down the hill before the game watching the boys run out.
“[I thought if I was able to be part of playing a game here] it’d be something I could tell the kids about when I’m old and grey.”
Host is hoping to remain part of the first grade squad, with the Dragons to play South Sydney at ANZ Stadium tomorrow night.
The 19-year-old sites Dragons legends Nathan Blacklock, Mark Gasnier and Matt Cooper as his childhood heroes but he is intent on creating his own history in the Red V.
Host said representing his family was the biggest thrill.
“Our whole family has been massive Dragons supporters our whole lives,” he said.

"They’re just so happy for me that I’m coming through the ranks and getting an opportunity.

“And playing for a team that they’ve associated themselves with for so long I guess there’s sort of a sense of pride for them.
“I think when I told my dad I was making my debut he was more excited than I was.”

His dad, Graham, was a St George SG Ball winning captain in the late 80s.
After a frantic phone call from son to father, Graham made his way to New Zealand to watch Jacob’s first grade debut.
But unfortunately not everyone made the game.
“My dad and my uncle went over but mum didn’t have a passport, she never really needed one so she missed out,” Host said.
“[Dad] was proud and happy, I think [he was] sort of happy I’ve come through where he left off.”
As good as this year has been so far for the 2014 Australian Schoolboy representative, Host isn’t done yet.

Maintaining his place in first grade and landing a NSW under-20s State of Origin jersey is already on the agenda.

“I’ve been saying it to family and friends that if you said 12 months ago I was going to be where I am today I would have laughed at them,” he said.
“But I’m definitely very happy with how I’m going this year.
“There’s just a few more boxes to tick as we go along, I’m progressing very well [but] I’m going to keep working hard.”

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...01180/home-grown-host-lives-dream-at-dragons/http://twitter.com/share?url=http:/...Host lives dream at Dragons&via=theleadernews

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/3901180/home-grown-host-lives-dream-at-dragons/?cs=3833

Bench
He is the type of player we need. One who wants to play for the dragons, someone whose ambition was to play with the bid red V, we need to sign him now and give him a run in the top grade

nrlnrl

First Grade
Please re-sign him, future leader. Anyone know when he's off contract? The buzzards from other clubs will be circling....

Forster Dragon

Juniors
We need more of this young guy.In all reality we do have the makings of a quality side from our own juniors playing for other clubs.When will the penny drop for the mob running the show that we must look after our junior strength.Jus a good broom through the current administration and football staff would be a start.Just please get someone with some kind of vision.

Uplifting

Juniors
I'm all for giving some of our untried lower graders a run in 1st grade. I'd like to see the emergence of atleast one of them as a top shelf talent, but that will only happen if Mary gives a few of the young boys a go (especially the backs where we need some instinctive talent to compliment Benji).

denis preston

First Grade
I'm all for giving some of our untried lower graders a run in 1st grade. I'd like to see the emergence of atleast one of them as a top shelf talent, but that will only happen if Mary gives a few of the young boys a go (especially the backs where we need some instinctive talent to compliment Benji).

Agree , it would give the club a better understanding of which young ones are likely to make it , but Mary is so insecure ( so he should be ! ) and is desperate to win the most possible games this year so you can kiss that goodbye.

Life's Good

Coach
shit go making him sit on bench not getting a run..wonder why our juniors dont come through anymore

So disappointing that the question of our bench usage is still unanswered. Funny thing is there wasn’t a lot said about Seibold & his bench use in the finals.
Looks like the media just like to focus on player d*ck pics & not analyse the game.

denis preston

First Grade
So disappointing that the question of our bench usage is still unanswered. Funny thing is there wasn’t a lot said about Seibold & his bench use in the finals.
Looks like the media just like to focus on player d*ck pics & not analyse the game.

Yes for Host personally he has to make this year his best from the bench. If he doesn't get a go he will have to instruct his manager to make feelers out for a job elsewhere. It's up to him. The irony is he runs the best lines of any of the second rowers ( why does Frizzell come inside all the time ? ) but doesn't seem to get the passes to take advantage of this.
As I said on other posts very big and defining years for Dufty, Host , Field & Lulia. If at least two of them make it than our side will be stronger for it.

possm

Coach
Yes for Host personally he has to make this year his best from the bench. If he doesn't get a go he will have to instruct his manager to make feelers out for a job elsewhere. It's up to him. The irony is he runs the best lines of any of the second rowers ( why does Frizzell come inside all the time ? ) but doesn't seem to get the passes to take advantage of this.
As I said on other posts very big and defining years for Dufty, Host , Field & Lulia. If at least two of them make it than our side will be stronger for it.

It is not a complex problem, just pick the best performers during the off-season for round 1 and then the form players for each round after that. The only exception being selecting a particular player to use a particular skill required in a well thought our game plan lol.