What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jacob Liddle

Brutalitops

Juniors
Just thought Liddle deserved a thread for his impact. A signing many criticised, I often thought unfairly. One game but his impact was clear. Dangerous, plenty of speed and improved those around him.

I liked Macca for what it was worth but it's obvious he needed to hang them up. Excited for Brisbane but I just want to see them turn up again regardless of win or lose

possm

Coach
Just thought Liddle deserved a thread for his impact. A signing many criticised, I often thought unfairly. One game but his impact was clear. Dangerous, plenty of speed and improved those around him.

I liked Macca for what it was worth but it's obvious he needed to hang them up. Excited for Brisbane but I just want to see them turn up again regardless of win or lose
Yes, I will put my hand up and admit I was wrong. Liddle could end up being a Dragon favorite. He has the speed to burn and knows how to back up a player who has made a break.

Illusion

Bench
I had said previously if Liddle was to stay injury free he would be good for us ..... We had no go forward with Macca there , teams had one less thing to worry about and we had one less attacking option ......

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Liddle had a cracker and what a difference the attack was with some speed out of dummy half. Tigers fans all rate Liddle it was just his injuries that reduced his time in the field. Hopefully he can stay injury free.

Hook has a ton of options now with Amone, Liddle and Mbye for the spine positions on top of Hunt and Sullivan which is good. It is a matter of how he uses these players.

justadragon

Bench
I'm not sure if Liddle can be considered an 80 min player, but I'm more than happy to have him come on 20-30 min into the game. I also dont want Sullivan to go into that role, we need to persist with him in the halves. Overall Liddle is an immense improvement on what we had, I wish him the best of luck and to remain injury free. Well done mate, great effort first up.

Parko1310

Juniors
I'm not sure if Liddle can be considered an 80 min player, but I'm more than happy to have him come on 20-30 min into the game. I also dont want Sullivan to go into that role, we need to persist with him in the halves. Overall Liddle is an immense improvement on what we had, I wish him the best of luck and to remain injury free. Well done mate, great effort first up.
Liddle was very very good when he came on and for mine has to start next week. The speed of our attack completely changed when he replaced Mbye. We can't afford to start behind on the scoreboard next week against quality opposition. The issue with Mbye starting and Liddle off the bench is that it's a fine tactic if Mbye was a defensively solid hooker. Unfortunately he's not a good defender, especially in the middle, so the tactic doesn't work. I don't mind Mbye as a player in our top 30 squad, I think he's good to have around the club and is more than capable of filling positions if mass injuries occur. But in my view his role in the top 17 is completely void. He doesn't add spark at hooker if he were to come on off the bench, but he's not a good starting hooker either as he gets dominated through the middle when we're defending. Some will then argue his role is as a utility, but Bird can already provide utility value in the team if need be, covering every position Mbye can minus hooker, but you'd be bringing another hooker into the team if you were to drop Mbye anyway, so it doesn't matter. If you wanted to play the first 20 of a game the way it's been designed for Mbye to play, wouldn't you play Muhlesson who's a solid defender? I just don't think Mbye has a role to play in that 17.

justadragon

Bench
Liddle was very very good when he came on and for mine has to start next week. The speed of our attack completely changed when he replaced Mbye. We can't afford to start behind on the scoreboard next week against quality opposition. The issue with Mbye starting and Liddle off the bench is that it's a fine tactic if Mbye was a defensively solid hooker. Unfortunately he's not a good defender, especially in the middle, so the tactic doesn't work. I don't mind Mbye as a player in our top 30 squad, I think he's good to have around the club and is more than capable of filling positions if mass injuries occur. But in my view his role in the top 17 is completely void. He doesn't add spark at hooker if he were to come on off the bench, but he's not a good starting hooker either as he gets dominated through the middle when we're defending. Some will then argue his role is as a utility, but Bird can already provide utility value in the team if need be, covering every position Mbye can minus hooker, but you'd be bringing another hooker into the team if you were to drop Mbye anyway, so it doesn't matter. If you wanted to play the first 20 of a game the way it's been designed for Mbye to play, wouldn't you play Muhlesson who's a solid defender? I just don't think Mbye has a role to play in that 17.
I can see your point and do agree, I just dont want Sullivan to be thrown in there. I did like the fact that the way Liddle used his speed against a tiring defense when he came on.

Wolfgang90

Juniors

Mbye could be a good 18th man, tbh we have injury prone players so I can see the value in Mbye in the 17 (to start the season anyway). Bird has made it clear he doesn't want to move from 13, I don't think we should either. Imo Amone could be the eventual answer to replace Mbye as our utility. He can cover centres, halves & can do a 20min stint at hooker imo. Defensively he's sound, plus he has natural attacking instincts & a good short kicking game.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
i think as long as Mbye can do a good 20mins like Dean did we need Mbye to cover our two young guys at 5/8 and or FB if injury or freakout strikes but also Mbye can still play hooker and halfback if required and centre

when in a cycle of bring thru young players in key positions..........i think the Mbye signing makes so much sense given he is a rare player that can play 1,3,6,7,9 well but not great

Old Timer

Coach
The questions re Mybe are actually easily answered.

He is an adequate 14 when we are playing well with plenty of go forward.
He is a less than adequate 14 if we are playing poorly and on the back foot.

His performances are rarely match winning however he can be very valuable under the correct circumstances.

His individual performances are rarely ever match losing however many times he is singled out as if he alone is the reason for losing. The reality is that he is just one cog in amongst a whole lot of other cogs that just failed to click into gear.

If we have a successful year (I'll leave you to measure that for yourselves) Mybe will play a small role in that and if we have a poor year and he is still in the team he will also play a small role in that however in saying that he won't be on his own.

Como Connection

First Grade
i think as long as Mbye can do a good 20mins like Dean did we need Mbye to cover our two young guys at 5/8 and or FB if injury or freakout strikes but also Mbye can still play hooker and halfback if required and centre

when in a cycle of bring thru young players in key positions..........i think the Mbye signing makes so much sense given he is a rare player that can play 1,3,6,7,9 well but not great
Plus a member of Beverley Park and had a game with his son yesterday.
CC

possm

Coach
I had said previously if Liddle was to stay injury free he would be good for us ..... We had no go forward with Macca there , teams had one less thing to worry about and we had one less attacking option ......
Well, I hope he can stay injury free. A match fit Liddle negates the need to move Hunt to hooker. Pair him with a young gun hooker at 14 and we should be able to maintain the exciting attacking style that is emerging at the Dragons.

Dragon David

First Grade
You know whilst we are all concerned with what is going on with the HC position, lets not forget that Liddle was on a one year contract(please correct me if im wrong), and maybe we should be looking at upgrading him very soon. I have been highly impressed with both his games he has had with us.
If the rumour is correct that the Dragons are keen on this Kruise Leeming from Super League, are they waiting on him agreeing to sign with us and if so, also look at re-signing Liddle? We already have several so called hookers in the lower grades don't we, so I don't know?

justadragon

Bench
If the rumour is correct that the Dragons are keen on this Kruise Leeming from Super League, are they waiting on him agreeing to sign with us and if so, also look at re-signing Liddle? We already have several so called hookers in the lower grades don't we, so I don't know?
Yep seems strange to me Dave, even thou I think the Broncos will have it all over us in getting him anyway, especially if he has a look at the states of either club atm. Anyway I wouldnt be mucking Liddle around for long, he has already caught the eye of many.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yep seems strange to me Dave, even thou I think the Broncos will have it all over us in getting him anyway, especially if he has a look at the states of either club atm. Anyway I wouldnt be mucking Liddle around for long, he has already caught the eye of many.
Definitely has to be re-signed justa. I think he has been the pick of the hookers we have had for a while. The more games he has with the team, the more his type of play will help our game.

The Broncs also have a few hookers in Walters and Paix, but just like us, another "good" one won't go astray.

Latest posts