What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jacob Saifiti involved in pub fight, injures leg - 3mth injury - Career over?

Knight Vision

First Grade
Gardener has said that he’s brought the club into disrepute, so there needs to be consequences for that. Bit harsh in my opinion- it’s a sad world when a 120kg bloke is expected to stand by and not get involved in an incident that is unfolding in front of him.
I agree. Ya want good people to do the right thing. Perhaps it goes against what they are being told to do in those situations ?

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
If its been proven that Jacob didnt play any negative role in this situation and that he had good intentions, then i hope there is a pushback against him being fined. Hes a 22 year old who lives in a free country. If he wants to go out once every blue moon and let his hair down, then so be it.

Treating him like a 5 year old with unreasonable expectations wouldnt be good for anyone.

MrTwoBits

Juniors
If its been proven that Jacob didnt play any negative role in this situation and that he had good intentions, then i hope there is a pushback against him being fined. Hes a 22 year old who lives in a free country. If he wants to go out once every blue moon and let his hair down, then so be it.

Treating him like a 5 year old with unreasonable expectations wouldnt be good for anyone.
Has it been proven that Jacob didn't play any negative role in the situation?

**edit**

If there is a fine, it probably comes from the broader context of more than one poor decision, and there being some truth to the rumours that he hasn't always taken his footy as seriously as he should. Tough to know without being inside the building.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Vision

First Grade
Why?

25k to say "you shouldn't have been there"?

Toohey sums it up
JSaf is a fringe first grader ( at best ) coming off a season where he only played 8 games. If he's serious about his career you could say going on a bender was a poor decision at this stage. Although I've never been a pro athlete, when I was at my peak in the Army my fitness was thrown out by having only 3 beers. I wouldnt have dreamed of going on a bender. JSaf must decide if he wants to be a pro footballer or a brickie's laborer.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
While $25K might seem harsh, a professional athlete shouldn’t have to be told that 12 hours on the piss isn’t a great idea. If it teaches a lesson to the rest of the playing group as well then that’s a bonus.

JSaf would probably be on his last chance by now I would say. Needs to work his ass off to get back into the first grade side in 2019 and if he doesn’t I would be fine if we let him go at the end of his deal.

Whilst Jacob was cleared by the police he wasn’t exactly an innocent bystander in the confrontation with Dane Cordner. He was in his face telling him to have a go and Cordner eventually did and punched him. He inflamed the situation and he didn’t get charged because he didn’t throw a punch but that’s why the knights have given him a fine and second strike. One more incident and he’s sacked.

Spot On

Coach
Why?

25k to say "you shouldn't have been there"?

Hey Mac

Boys above have pretty much summed it up.

Glad the club has acted fairly strongly here and put a shot over the bow of not just Jacob but the all the contracted players.

The club needs to insist that the players uphold certain standards at all times esp when on the piss. If the can't then I'm happy to see them sacked. I'm sick of the bs the off season has provided (across the clubs/NRL) and don't want any of our players in the headlines for what usually seems to be alcohol related incidents in the NRL.

If Jacob's fine is now the standard for that type of incident at our club then God help the next bloke who gets into a bit of strife. Hopefully the club maintains this stance for any further incidents no matter the player involved.

If the boys don't like it then maybe they should stay off the piss if it turns them into a dickhead when on it and they struggle to stay out of trouble???

Or go to a club that will sweep it under the carpet so the can stay on the piss and be a dickhead while pretending to be a professional RL player???

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
Hey Mac

Boys above have pretty much summed it up.

Glad the club has acted fairly strongly here and put a shot over the bow of not just Jacob but the all the contracted players.

The club needs to insist that the players uphold certain standards at all times esp when on the piss. If the can't then I'm happy to see them sacked. I'm sick of the bs the off season has provided (across the clubs/NRL) and don't want any of our players in the headlines for what usually seems to be alcohol related incidents in the NRL.

If Jacob's fine is now the standard for that type of incident at our club then God help the next bloke who gets into a bit of strife. Hopefully the club maintains this stance for any further incidents no matter the player involved.

If the boys don't like it then maybe they should stay off the piss if it turns them into a dickhead when on it and they struggle to stay out of trouble???

Or go to a club that will sweep it under the carpet so the can stay on the piss and be a dickhead while pretending to be a professional RL player???

Fair call all around.

I don't know how he was still standing after a 12 hour bender, but then again I am on the floor after a half dozen drinks.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Whilst Jacob was cleared by the police he wasn’t exactly an innocent bystander in the confrontation with Dane Cordner. He was in his face telling him to have a go and Cordner eventually did and punched him. He inflamed the situation and he didn’t get charged because he didn’t throw a punch but that’s why the knights have given him a fine and second strike. One more incident and he’s sacked.
How do you know that he told Cordner to have a go?

newyboy

Juniors
I had never seen the footage until the news tonight. He was the instigator and should be gone. Totally unacceptable behaviour.

TooheysNew

Coach
I doubt Dan is going to be all that worried what the club does with Jacob
They both know where ever their paths lead them, they’ll always be brothers first and foremost, and let’s be honest, in 18 months time, probably NRL teammates for the New Lambton Newts
This aged well haha

MrTwoBits

Juniors
Why should he be gone? Instigator or not he didn’t do anything illegal.
Looks a w***er from the footage.

Typical mindset from a modern day Knight - acts tough because he knows he is protected by the venue. Then gets hit in the mouth and doesn't like it. I'd prefer real tough blokes.

Jesfery

Juniors
Nothing new, Yosh. The thread was just resurrected because someone saw the footage of the incident.