What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jake Farragher

panfashark

Juniors
Please to see that Jake has secured a contract with the Sharks! He will go well!

In the next few days there will be an article in the telegraph on Jake and his dad John.

John is so proud of his young bloke, but was very hesitant about doing the interview for fear of putting undue pressure on him.

It is only in the last few weeks that the coaching staff have realised who Jake is related to.

John has an unbelievable passion for the game still!

It should a good read!

Cheers

carcharias

Immortal
for the youngens.
John ( I am assuming I have the right bloke ) broke his neck playing for the panthers in the late 70's.

I was only very young and a lot of kids mothers pulled them out of footy to play soccer at the time because of it.

I played soccer and a whole group of kids joined our team from league.

didn't do any good ...we were all playing league a few years later.

coolumsharkie

Referee
They were playing Newtown?

Anyway.. Big news at the time... Didn't they hold a telethon for him???... can still remember vaguely the scrum footage.

Was pretty freaky for all of us young blokes I recall.

carcharias

Immortal
coolumsharkie said:
They were playing Newtown?

Anyway.. Big news at the time... Didn't they hold a telethon for him???... can still remember vaguely the scrum footage.

Was pretty freaky for all of us young blokes I recall.

yep sounds familiar
it was huge.

from my very early youth I remember Elvis dying , Granville , cyclone tracey and this.

bluey

Bench
carcharias said:
yep sounds familiar
it was huge.

from my very early youth I remember Elvis dying , Granville , cyclone tracey and this.

Wa all must be around the same age:cool:

carcharias

Immortal
blacktip-reefy said:
Probably the wrong place to ask this, but this guy is his son?
tis him.

Jake Farragher carries his dad's legacy in Toyota Cup

FOR his entire life Jake Farragher has watched his father John struggle through each day in a wheelchair.
It broke Jake's heart but never broke his passion for rugby league - even though it was the game that crippled his father.
At 3.21pm on May 28, 1978 at Henson Park, John Farragher's life, as he knew it, suddenly ceased to exist.
Playing prop for Penrith against Newtown, a scrum collapsed on Farragher. He has never walked again.
Yet John has refused to allow his tragedy to deter Jake's from his desire to play rugby league.
Jake, 19, will this Saturday reward his father's courageous stance.
At 5.30pm, Jake will play second-row for Cronulla's Toyota Cup side (under-20s competition) against Manly at Brookvale Oval.
John will be there in his wheelchair - a proud dad - watching Jake make his Sharks debut

0,,5933879,00.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23364634-5006066,00.html

carcharias

Immortal
panfashark said:
Definately his son!

Not sure why you would need to question that!

probably because it was never actually confirmed that it was the john Farragher who was injured back then.

samshark

Juniors
Carch, doesnt it confirm that in the article above i.e 1978 playing prop for Penrith.

In regard to being his son, Reefy, are you coming from the angle that his dad being a paraplegic, how could he have children? I am no expert but I am pretty sure there are ways paraplegic's can produce children without being able to do the physical act.

If this is not what you were thinking, ignore this post

carcharias

Immortal
blacktip-reefy said:
I'll let it slide then. I'm still confused.

oh ..I get ya.

um yeah what is the go there?

Mate ..the kid is a dead ringer.
It...must still work.

I know a bloke in a chair and although I have never asked him ...I have heard ''it'' works.

carcharias

Immortal
blacktip-reefy said:
ok , so we are all on the same page then. I was just being as diplomatic as possible.

f**k I am dumb.

I was thinking the kid was born pre accident ...but then I pulled out my abacus and low and behold...there is wood and that there pencil.

Good luck to the dude.

panfashark

Juniors
samshark said:
Carch, doesnt it confirm that in the article above i.e 1978 playing prop for Penrith.

In regard to being his son, Reefy, are you coming from the angle that his dad being a paraplegic, how could he have children? I am no expert but I am pretty sure there are ways paraplegic's can produce children without being able to do the physical act.

If this is not what you were thinking, ignore this post

Samshark has explained it perfectly!

Apoogies to REEFY if my initial reply was a little abrupt!

cityshark

Juniors
There is no mistaking the resemblence! Its a good news story for us and I hope he gets MOTM . Go young Jake !

tumbidragon

First Grade
In lieu of the tragic event of Alex's injury. I found the story of John Farragher and found his son used to play with your NYC team. Just curious as to what happened to Jake? Is he still in the system at all?