What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamaican news - Double header

Copa

Bench
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/html/20050729T220000-0500_85107_OBS_RUGBY_LEAGUE_STARTS_AT_CLING_CLING_OVAL_TODAY.asp

I think not long back some on here were saying this would never happen.

Rugby League starts at Cling Cling Oval today
Observer Reporter
Saturday, July 30, 2005

Jamaica will today join the Rugby League playing nations of the world with the Caribbean's first organised and sanctioned games of Rugby League at the Cling Cling Oval on Olympic Way Kingston 11.

The Olympic Angels will host the Vauxhall Vultures, followed by the Duhaney Park Sharks versus the Jamaica Defence Force. Kick-off is at 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm, respectively.

Organisers say that in pre-season games, the reaction of spectators has been very enthusiastic, and they have responded well to the pace and hard-hitting nature of the game. The huge, speedy athletes have generated a lot of interest and excitement, they say.

screeny

Bench
That's the league championship kicking off is it? Wow, that's amazing. They have made all the right moves in their short lives and are proof to others that the real business of development, running a domestic championship, can be done.

Obviously they've not had any obstables thrown in their path, but still it's a wonderful achievement. I wonder what the demographic of the players is? Whether they're all public schoolboys or Jamaican rich kids, or whether the sport is open to all?

yakstorm

First Grade
screeny said:
Obviously they've not had any obstables thrown in their path,

Thats a little harsh mate, the JRLA and WIRLF have had obsticles to contend with just like any new league. From gaining interest, insurance, problems from governments, to rival sports, gaining financial support and even doing the day to day runnings.

Sure some haven't been as big as what other nations have had to encounter, but to say its been smooth sailing all the way would be a lie.

screeny

Bench
I meant an irate RU doing everything they can to stop them playing. Obviously setting up any sport is difficult, otherwise we'd all be at it!

BatiFan

Juniors
The Jamaican RU did try and intervene but the people running the JRLA are very good businessmen and have been able to go about setting up the sport in a totally professional manner, something that the union could not offer players on the Island. You will find that many of the players will have come from union backgrounds and many would still play both codes, which is the way it should be. Allowing them to advance their skills in both codes, which will ultimately make them better "rugby" players in the future.

Well done to the JRLA for all their hardwork and great to see things finally take off. Cant wait for the WIRLF next step into Trinidad and Tobago and Barbados over the next few years.

yakstorm

First Grade
Depends on the situation....for something like World Cup qualifers, a West Indies side would have far more chances of competiting, as it is hoped a couple of other nations in the region will have mini-comps going in the next 18 months.

However for many internationals, Jamaica will compete on their own.

romeocbarsharks

Juniors
Players are from all backgrounds. There are ruff ang tough 'real ghetto youths' , 'shottas' , there are university guys, one or two 'rich' guys, a couple really 'poor guys' and a lot of guys in between. We are form uptown, down town, and round town. Most tof the guys are between 18-28. They are some real serious athletes who could go a far way in a semi-pro or pro atmosphere, and some guys who just play to play. All the players in our first season are locals. Now locals mean white, black, indian, coolie and a couple other things, for we 'out of many one people'.

Copa

Bench
romeocbarsharks said:
Players are from all backgrounds. There are ruff ang tough 'real ghetto youths' , 'shottas' , there are university guys, one or two 'rich' guys, a couple really 'poor guys' and a lot of guys in between. We are form uptown, down town, and round town. Most tof the guys are between 18-28. They are some real serious athletes who could go a far way in a semi-pro or pro atmosphere, and some guys who just play to play. All the players in our first season are locals. Now locals mean white, black, indian, coolie and a couple other things, for we 'out of many one people'.
Good to see it bringing people together.

"shottas"...who, or what, is that?????

Copa

Bench
After reading this it's good to see the game brining folk together..

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news...26_OBS_MORE_THAN_______MURDERS_IN_JAMAICA.asp

More than 1,650 murders in Jamaica

Observer Reporter
Thursday, December 29, 2005

MURDERS in Jamaica moved past the 1,650 mark yesterday, with the police reporting at least 11 killings between Tuesday and Wednesday, building on the dubious status of 2005 as the record year for homicides in Jamaica, and reinforcing the country's reputation as the murder capital of the world.

That figure gives Jamaica a murder rate of over 63 per 100,000 population, giving the island, the experts say, a higher murder rate than homicides-wracked such as South Africa and Colombia.

romeocbarsharks

Juniors
'shottas' are rude boys, its a local slang for the 'though kids' from the ghetto's around the urban areas.

Most murders are in the inner city area where poverty is rife and opportunities scare, the unemployment rate is very high in the inner city area. Most murders are classified as 'domestic' ones, meaning, the victims and perpetratosr know each other. The other murders are mostly linked to gang warfare and the drug trade.
The rugby culture here is not violent, guys from all backgrounds usally get along well playing the game, there is a very strong mixture of backgrounds.

Tourism is still our # 1 industry as the violence is almost exclusive to native on native. Our backgorund as a former colonial Island with a violent history (i.e slavery) doesnt help as many of the social inequalities created decades ago still haunt us today. The country is still considered a great place to live and hopefully through sports and social initiatives we can curb our ridiculouly high murder rate. We believe that through league we can bring something different to the sporting landscape and give the youths another avenue to be great athletes and role models.

screeny

Bench
romeocbarsharks said:
'shottas' are rude boys, its a local slang for the 'though kids' from the ghetto's around the urban areas.

Most murders are in the inner city area where poverty is rife and opportunities scare, the unemployment rate is very high in the inner city area. Most murders are classified as 'domestic' ones, meaning, the victims and perpetratosr know each other. The other murders are mostly linked to gang warfare and the drug trade.
The rugby culture here is not violent, guys from all backgrounds usally get along well playing the game, there is a very strong mixture of backgrounds.

Tourism is still our # 1 industry as the violence is almost exclusive to native on native. Our backgorund as a former colonial Island with a violent history (i.e slavery) doesnt help as many of the social inequalities created decades ago still haunt us today. The country is still considered a great place to live and hopefully through sports and social initiatives we can curb our ridiculouly high murder rate. We believe that through league we can bring something different to the sporting landscape and give the youths another avenue to be great athletes and role models.

I used to work in Grand Cayman for a year. The island had a very large Jamaican population and my friend and I played for a Jamaican football team in the local league.

The team, Soweto United, really backs up Romeo's point about the inclusive nature of sport amongst Jamaicans. A lot of the players were rough as houses, real toughies, and my friend and I made a pact that at the first sign of trouble we'd be off, but all the players made us feel so very welcome, some even calling us 'sir' when asking for the ball!

We did get stones thrown at us by some lads when they saw us driving in their area but when we were with the team we were made to feel like a million dollars by all the players, their friends and onlookers.

Honourable mention to our old coach, Big Belly Man, who used to st on the sidelines skinning up the whole time! Without doubt the most inspirational coach I've ever had.

romeocbarsharks

Juniors
Well Screeny, I'm glad u were welcomed by the J'Can lads, most of our people are very friendly and nice, our hospitally is world renowned. Its just that opportunities are scare for many young people and they end up in 'bad company'.

Sorry about the stone incident man, throwing stones seems to be a favourite pastime for many of our kids 9even though they were in cayman).