What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jamal Idris quits NRL

Idris released by Panthers

Jamal Idris has been released from the final year of his contract with the Panthers, Executive General Manager Phil Gould announced on Monday.

This decision comes as a result of a request from Idris, who has decided to take a break from the game to contemplate his future.

"Jamal has been wonderful for our club. He played an integral role in the Panthers' run towards a top four finish in 2014," Mr Gould said.

"He was an extremely popular player with our members and his work off the field with the community and junior league programs has been nothing short of outstanding.

"Injury and personal issues restricted his playing time last season and I totally understand the reasons behind his request for this release.

"In top form, Jamal is a State of Origin quality player. I hope that he can find a way to rekindle his motivation for the game and return at some stage in the future."

Idris said he made the decision after an extended period of consideration.

"I love the game of rugby league but just at the moment I need to take some time away," he said.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Panthers but I did not want to continue playing if I couldn’t guarantee giving them 100 per cent.

"I thank them for their understanding at this time."

http://nrl.com/idris-released-by-panthers/tabid/10874/newsid/90718/default.aspx

mxlegend99

Referee
He just said he loves the Panthers and is committed to 2016 a few days ago. The provisions Gus put on him must have been a deal breaker. Maybe we expected him to diet and try and take pressure off his body.

ellskimore

Juniors
He's always seemed like a personality that just doesn't quite fit with professional sport. He's a laid-back guy and clearly has a lot of outside interests that would be distracting him. It always felt like this decision was coming.

cleary89

Coach
Too f**king lazy. No surprises here.

I'm not sure if lazy is the right word. He wasn't dedicated to footy and coasted along on talent alone. However, he seems like he was into a lot of stuff off the field. Met him a couple of times and is a good guy.

One Eyed Aussie

Juniors
I'm not sure if lazy is the right word. He wasn't dedicated to footy and coasted along on talent alone. However, he seems like he was into a lot of stuff off the field. Met him a couple of times and is a good guy.

I'm sure he is a nice enough guy but I think coasting along on talent alone is being lazy.
What serious efforts has he made to keep his weight on track? What's he going to do with his life now? It's a situation where a little bit of effort on his part would have paid huge rewards. I think he will regret it in the future, how many jobs are out there that pay as well as his?

mxlegend99

Referee
His attitude must atleast partially contribute to his injuries. He's a great when not injured, but wont put extra effort in to being healthier and fitter. If he shed a few kgs of fat it would surely help him be a much better player and less prone to injury. His body is carrying unnecessary weight in a position where you tend to move around a lot in all directions basically.

I can only hope and imagine that Griffin and Gus expect more from our players in 2016 and that Idris just wasn't willing to work harder.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

I am highly doubting though that they will pay the bills. I just don't think he is smart enough to have worked that out. I have no doubt there will be some sort of attempted comeback in the next couple years with a basket case club like the Eels or Tigers before again disappearing into obscurity after it inevitably fails.

Ibleedblue

Juniors
Will be a bit of a shame if he retired like this he showed some stuff in his first 2 years but hasn't delivered ever since. He is still a young man and if he goes to the Storm Bellamy could whip him into shape.

Danish

Referee
Maybe he managed to land a deal for that kids TV show he was talking about when he signed with the Titans?

POPEYE

Coach
Will be a bit of a shame if he retired like this he showed some stuff in his first 2 years but hasn't delivered ever since. He is still a young man and if he goes to the Storm Bellamy could whip him into shape.

About time someone else cleaned up the mess, give him to Easy Street Benny, let's see what he can do with damaged goods

Owen Craigie Mk 2. Will blow out to the size of a house now.

In all seriousness he seems like a good bloke and I hope he finds whatever he's looking for in life.

Latest posts