What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Tamou

hindy111

Post Whore
Thoughts on his signing and year so far?

Merrin came on big money but has had many big games. Im yet to see this guy stand out. Best form was in the nines.

age.s

First Grade
He was ok yesterday. Nothing special. He's been good occasionally but comes nowhere near justifying a 4 year big money contract.

Blues Riff

Bench
He was recruited as much for his experience and leadership as anything. He is reliable, but not a world-beater. Take the figure you imagine he's earning and halve it. He wanted the security of a long contract in a stable Sydney club. A decent bloke.

mxlegend99

Referee
Our entire pack were a bunch of bitches in attack.

Our back 3 combined ran for 563 metres.

Our entire pack made 587m combined. Thats hooker and bench included.

We had 5 forwards fail to crack 50 metres while our fullback ran for 201m. Edwards made more metres than Kikau, Yeo, CHN, Peachey snd Latu combined.

Thats beyond pathetic from our pack. Even Dean Whare made more metres than any of our forwards, they just took it as an invitation to watch. Not contribute.

Exsilium

First Grade
I think hes been solid. Whilst he isnt a world beater he sets a good line speed, Slows the ruck down and has good first contact. I find he scrambles well and attracts defenders.

He was brought in for experience and stability. Of which he provides both. Happy with the signing overall.

OldPanther

Coach

We had 5 forwards fail to crack 50 metres while our fullback ran for 201m. Edwards made more metres than Kikau, Yeo, CHN, Peachey snd Latu combined.

Thats beyond pathetic from our pack. Even Dean Whare made more metres than any of our forwards, they just took it as an invitation to watch. Not contribute.

I noticed a lot of sets where our backs ran from dummy half for the entire thing.

age.s

First Grade
You can't just look at meters made in a game like yesterdays. We had next to no football for long periods and the football we had was largely coming off our own line. Of course the backs are going to take most of the set when the forwards have done the bulk of the work defending multiple sets and are likely about to start defending another from half way. How are they supposed to make meters in those circumstances?

I thought our forwards were fine yesterday in a really tough game. They were stronger in the first half when possession was 50/50 and they defended exceptionally, particularly on their own line. Some unbelievable efforts by CHN and Yeo particularly.

OldPanther

Coach
You can't just look at meters made in a game like yesterdays. We had next to no football for long periods and the football we had was largely coming off our own line. Of course the backs are going to take most of the set when the forwards have done the bulk of the work defending multiple sets and are likely about to start defending another from half way. How are they supposed to make meters in those circumstances?

I thought our forwards were fine yesterday in a really tough game. They were stronger in the first half when possession was 50/50 and they defended exceptionally, particularly on their own line. Some unbelievable efforts by CHN and Yeo particularly.

I agree. 400+ tackles had to wreck our pack. The fact we have the backline to help them is a blessing.

He was recruited as much for his experience and leadership as anything. He is reliable, but not a world-beater. Take the figure you imagine he's earning and halve it. He wanted the security of a long contract in a stable Sydney club. A decent bloke.

How much do you figure he's on?

I'd assumed somewhere between 600-800k.

Fangs

Coach
Has been copping it, sometimes completed unwarranted. But I don't think he is earning the coin he is on. Not yet anyway. In favour of keeping him, has represented at the highest level and has plenty more to offer.

Just about the whole pack has underperformed this year with the exception of Yeo. RCG and Latu aren't playing with a fire in their belly like the back of last year.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors

lol

What did you expect? That is kind of what happens when you have no ball, and they are defending their asses off constantly. Pretty much why the backs carted the ball out of our half and made so many mts

I have no issue with the forwards what so ever in regards to making mts from Saturday. Maybe less baby oil on the hands of Yeo thou.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Terrible signing IMO.

He is doing a job of a 250-350K prop. I assume he would be on double that.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Terrible signing IMO.

He is doing a job of a 250-350K prop. I assume he would be on double that.

Easy if you believe the media reports on his deal.

Value for money he is a poor signing.
I would have preferred a hungry guy like Vaughan, who was looking for a chance.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Easy if you believe the media reports on his deal.

Value for money he is a poor signing.
I would have preferred a hungry guy like Vaughan, who was looking for a chance.

Wallace or Asofa-Solomona were two others we could have looked at.

We were after Tamou and McGuire last March/April but ended up focusing on Tamou.

McGuire and Wallace are Origin players, Asofa-Solomona was named in the NZ team but pulled out with injury and Vaughn is ahead of Tamou in the NSW pecking order.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Wallace or Asofa-Solomona were two others we could have looked at.

We were after Tamou and McGuire last March/April but ended up focusing on Tamou.

McGuire and Wallace are Origin players, Asofa-Solomona was named in the NZ team but pulled out with injury and Vaughn is ahead of Tamou in the NSW pecking order.

A big yes on Wallace. He has done well this year.
That is what I think we needed a young prop. A few years of first grade experience but hungry to take his opportunity. Like Vaughan has, like Wallace has. Obviously we don't know how those would have gone under Griffin.
I know why Gould wanted Tamou. Experienced done everything in the game at the highest level that can hopefully rub off on the younger blokes. He should be the leader of this pack. Which hasn't fired this year. Neither has he.

Tamou averaged 131 metre last year with the Cowboys 11.1 carries. Averaged 26 tackles per match and only 6 errors,
This year he has averaged 108 metres 9 carries per match. Same average tackles of 26, but 8 errors already.
The only time he has big metre games if we play weak forward packs like the Tigers, Newcastle or Souths. (I rate Sam Burgess thats it for the Souths pack)

The trouble is if you have done everything in the game. Unless you are like a player like Lockyer or Cronk who are (were) super competitive. You get comfortable & lazy later in your career.

Tamou I think is a little too comfortable. Either that or his style doesn't suit Griffin's coaching.

The Realist

Juniors
Tamou is on around $750-800K. He is not worth a cent over 500K and I would put his true value at $400k.
Merrin is on around $720K. Not worth anything over 600K probably real worth 500K.

Those are two players that we are paying overs for, combine the overs and you get another rep/near rep quality player.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Tamou is on around $750-800K. He is not worth a cent over 500K and I would put his true value at $400k.
Merrin is on around $720K. Not worth anything over 600K probably real worth 500K.

Those are two players that we are paying overs for, combine the overs and you get another rep/near rep quality player.

We paid rep forward money for 2 players who didn't make Origin.