What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne considers switch to AFL

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...rs-switch-to-afl/story-e6frepex-1225996718394

Jarryd Hayne considers switch to AFL

* Jessica Halloran
* January 30, 2011 12:01AM

JARRYD Hayne's heart has been with the Parramatta club since he started playing for them when he was 12.

But beyond the expiration of his Eels contract in 2013, Hayne is toying with taking up Australian rules football.

During his contract negotiations with the Eels a year ago, Hayne's interest in the AFL was seen as bargaining tool, but the star fullback has opened up for the first time about his desire to play the code.

The Australian and Origin representative said that if he had achieved everything in rugby league within the next three seasons, he would consider the switch.

However, he will first carefully watch how Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau's pursuit of an AFL career plays out.

"It's something I've obviously thought about too you know," Hayne said. "I'm not blind to the situation.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"I will have to see how they go, what happens with them, how I am feeling, what I want to do, it's all about how I feel at the time.

"If I feel satisfied with what I've done in league, I'll have to be the judge then.

"At the moment my full focus is on Parramatta and my contract until 2013."

The 22-year-old has also spoken on how NRL players are at the bottom of the code's food chain, how Christianity is keeping him "together" and how he handles criticism.

Last June, headlines in Sydney screamed "Blame Hayne" after the Eels' 10-6 loss to the Broncos at Parramatta Stadium.

Then Eels coach Daniel Anderson singled out the star as a poor performer in that press conference. After the game Anderson said: "I think our fullback is learning. He wasn't good tonight in my opinion. Not many people will say it but he was off his game.

"I think he would have been frustrated at some of the decisions he made."

Hayne said he was never ruffled even when there was a critical storm unfolding around him.

Did that "Blame Hayne" time affect you?

"No."

Hayne likes the saying by Texan Bishop T.D Jakes and re-tweeted it recently: "Don't let the comments from your critics distract you from your goal. Some people play the game and others watch! Go ahead!"

He elaborated on the fallout, saying again despite all the words and headlines - he was not worried at all.

"It was not really much for me you know," Hayne said.

"At the end of the day, you have to remember why you are playing rugby league. As some players get older they tend to forget why they do it - they think about the money, the media, the pressure and impressing people rather than having fun.

"I am all about having fun."

Over the summer Hayne has been recovering from a hamstring tear he sustained in Kangaroos training last October. The injury forced him out of the Four Nations, but he now dubs the break a "blessing in disguise".

"It really just stopped me in my tracks and it gave my legs and body a chance to freshen up I suppose."

Off the field Hayne feels his life is improving with his new-found faith. He said his pastors were like his "life coaches" and keeping him on track.

"Footy is the only thing I am smart in," Hayne said. "I'm pretty dumb off the field.

"Because I put so much focus on footy it's hard to have a focus on what you want off out of footy. I get focused on getting my body in shape, being fit, being fast, my skills; so much energy goes into my footy you can get sort of sidetracked."

The Colonel

Immortal
F**k....... 3 more seasons until he considers a move. I wonder how long this thread and the over reaction from the tin hat brigade will last.

I wish I hadn't read this article. It's only in the last year that I had started to respect Jarryd.

Some of those comments make him seem a hypocrite IMO.

I always feel sorry for the guys who are working their butts off to make a living, maybe supporting a family, that have to listen to this verbal diarrohea. "I'm playing for fun". He puts himself offside with people with such stupid comments. (some will perceive it as arrogance) I know he doesn't mean it that way. Maybe he needs one of his minister mates to stand by him in interviews?:lol:

boxhead

First Grade
I think when people read that sentence, they will see that because of his religious background he actually means that the money isn't an issue and he wants to enjoy himself and also help others. He is a very charitable person.
But hell, I'm having trouble understanding my own damn sentences!

"I'm pretty dumb off the field."
Jarryd, you are a sweetheart :) we all know you are a great person and you always strive to be the best person you can be!

He is 22. He shouldn't be making comments that come across (the way I am perceiving the majority will read it) suggesting he is somehow better than those "older" guys who are thinking about the money.

Seriously, if the AFL were not looking at paying players mega bucks, how many of those players would take a massive pay cut to go & give AFL a go?

Granted, there are some people in the world that are willing to change jobs & take a pay cut, to actually do something they enjoy, but, I just don't see many sport stars doing it.

It would be like Damien Oliver deciding to go & drive trotters, because he thought it was something he wanted to do. It's not going to happen.

mrpwnd

Bench
I'll bet he could've said something else and people would still be here tearing his words apart.

Maybe if he came out and said something along the lines of 'Yeah, I'm a greedy prick so f**k you all', there'd be less discussion.

eels_fan

First Grade
Jarryd should just keep his mouth shut when reporters come knocking IMO

If he wants to go to AFL in 2014 then fine, but we're paying his salary now, and it's less than 6 weeks til kickoff so the only thing on his mind should be success in 2011.

I feel sorry for him in that he gets crucified no matter what he says, but geez it's hard to back him up sometimes with the crap that comes out of his mouth

mrpwnd

Bench
Jarryd should just keep his mouth shut when reporters come knocking IMO

If he wants to go to AFL in 2014 then fine, but we're paying his salary now, and it's less than 6 weeks til kickoff so the only thing on his mind should be success in 2011.

I feel sorry for him in that he gets crucified no matter what he says, but geez it's hard to back him up sometimes with the crap that comes out of his mouth
To be fair, he's already quoted himself for being stupid anyway.

bartman

Immortal
Jarryd, you are a sweetheart :) we all know you are a great person and you always strive to be the best person you can be!
I know no such thing, and I don't really care.

As a fan I'd simply like him to consistently perform at a level that equals that size of the contract we are paying him, while he is with us.

I don't care about his plans for 2014, and I'd rather he (and any other of our players) do their talking through their consistent performances on the field.

Bigfella

Coach
This is the stuff that pays the players' wages and keeps the game alive.

He has an obligation to promote the game and he can say whatever he wants. He hasn't said anything disrespectful or insulting.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
He says he would have to be satisfied with what he had achieved in league. So I guess this would mean winning a grand final. If we win a grand final in the next 3 years I don't care where he goes. He can go sign up with tiddly winks for all I care.

yy_cheng

Coach
as I was reading it,I too started to feel,Jh,shut the f up.
then I started thinking he is trying to get the ball rolling on getting more money for the players. but then, at the end he goes on about playing foe fun.

my conclusion, I think he just daw Izzy flash by in his red Ferrari after seeing Izzy yday in his yellow Lamborghini

strider

Post Whore
He says he would have to be satisfied with what he had achieved in league. So I guess this would mean winning a grand final. If we win a grand final in the next 3 years I don't care where he goes. He can go sign up with tiddly winks for all I care.
agreed

Latest posts