What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Nightingale

the wheels are in motion...

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/betting-probe-conclusion-looms-20110129-1a8v8.html

DRAGONS KEEN TO LOCK JASON

St George Illawarra officials want to make Jason Nightingale a Dragon for life. Interest from rival clubs - believed to be Parramatta, Souths, Warriors and Bulldogs - has prompted the Dragons to act swiftly. The Herald understands an offer was tabled to Nightingale's management before close of business last Friday. Nightingale, who can play almost anywhere in the back line, could command in excess of $300,000 a year on the open market following his heroics for club and country. It's understood the Dragons are looking to lock up Nightingale for up to five years.

They seem to have forgotten that the fat prick played prop a few years ago ;-)

Bring back choc

Juniors
Boyd still remains our greatest priority. He will be the NRL's best player within 2-3 years. He's already in top 3 now in my opinion.

We lose him, and we slide 5 places on the ladder. Maybe more.

dragondad

First Grade
It would be interesting to know Darius's mindset, seeing that he appears to have to go where Wayne goes!

Red Bear

Referee
Nightingale is the ultimate club winger IMO, love the way he plays footy. Such a solid all round player, excellent defensively and knows how to get himself in positions to score, safe as houses under the high ball, a really really good player and was good to see him go well this year after a season behind the Dell.

Better than B Morris IMO

Father Ted

First Grade
Nightingale is the ultimate club winger IMO, love the way he plays footy. Such a solid all round player, excellent defensively and knows how to get himself in positions to score, safe as houses under the high ball, a really really good player and was good to see him go well this year after a season behind the Dell.

Better than B Morris IMO

I agree I think all round Nightingale is the number one winger in the club but only by a fraction

Cagey Mac

Bench
I think that he’s even more important to us than Boyd (marginally) at the moment
Boyd will follow Bennett; I think that there can be little doubt of that
Florence’s combination in defence with Scott and Gaz was truly remarkable and for this reason, I think his retention is even more important.
I think that we owe season 2010 to NIghty
Hist try against the Tigers showed his desire to be where he needs to be in order to give us victory and the tenacity that allowed him to be there
That said, Boyd is gold and will only get better over the coming seasons

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Typical scum dogs sniffing around. They should be able to fit him under their 10mil salary cap.......

Boyd is great but if I had to choose 1 I would pick Nighty. An absolute freak of nature. For him to more or less play second fiddle to the Dell in 2009 shows he has alot of respect for the club and will stay no matter what.

Stagger Lee

Bench
I would pick Nighty. An absolute freak of nature. For him to more or less play second fiddle to the Dell in 2009 shows he has alot of respect for the club and will stay no matter what.

When he quietly accepted his fate as an understudy to an inconsistent Dell and not carry on like a galah impressed me and more importantly a lot of others inside the club as well. I hope he does sign.

but if he does not sign is there a chance Tingha can do comeback like Dell and fill in for us for a year? :sarcasm:

possm

Coach
We won't be able to hold on to them all however, I hope we hold onto Nighty. His combination with Gaz and Scott will win us many games in the future.

Como Connection

First Grade
Don't want Cooper around next season, it's his time to move on.
Give Stanley and Tagive and also mabye even Josh a chance in 2012.

Godz Illa

Coach
Don't want Cooper around next season, it's his time to move on.
Really? Time to move on? Funny, for a guy who played Origin football this year, won a premiership and tbh was in close to career best form all season - certainly better form than Josh Morris... and as for Peni Tagive let's see him play more than 6 consecutive first grade games before even considering comparing him to a player like Matt Cooper. Coops will be worth keeping around - he'll stay for less and will be eligible for big cap concessions as a ten year player.

Father Ted

First Grade
Really? Time to move on? Funny, for a guy who played Origin football this year, won a premiership and tbh was in close to career best form all season - certainly better form than Josh Morris... and as for Peni Tagive let's see him play more than 6 consecutive first grade games before even considering comparing him to a player like Matt Cooper. Coops will be worth keeping around - he'll stay for less and will be eligible for big cap concessions as a ten year player.

Godz what are the concessions a player gets for 10 years ?

Godz Illa

Coach
Pretty sure it is now $200,000, i.e. that much is not included in the cap - and it's 8 years rather than 10

Godz Illa

Coach
Yep correct. Benny Hornby is also eligible and as far as I understand, we can claim that amount on each player

Dragon Dave

Bench
Yep correct. Benny Hornby is also eligible and as far as I understand, we can claim that amount on each player

The new commission (if it does eventuate) will affect this will it not? If anything, the cap is likely to go up and you would think that the loyalty discount will rise too...

I hope so. With players like Cooper and Hornby, plus Young, Creagh and Gaz we could really have an edge over clubs like the Canterbury in the near future spending wise.

Red Bear

Referee
I thought it was 200 000 across all your 8 year + players? Maybe thats what it used to be.

200 000 out of the salary of each veteran is certainly handy!