What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Taumalolo

beave

Coach
The role of the lock position has completely changed since those blokes played. The lock used to be the cover defender and wide runner. Now they are just a third prop. As far as the current job description goes Taumalolo is the best in the game when he wants to be, which isn't every week hence his team's position on the ladder.

2nd most overall runs in the league

3rd in most metres gained (behind a winger and a fullback, most of any forwards)

Most hit ups in the league

Most post contact metres in the league.

Most avg metres per game in the NQ club.......

But yep, it’s Lolos fault JT can’t hit a field goal against Melbourne, Granville gave away a penalty on our try line at the death against Souths, Bolton hitting a goal post at the death against Brisbane and the general geniusery amongst the whole NQ squad.......

FMD, him Feldt and Hampton are about the only 3 that are worth feeding this year.

#allLolo’sfault

T-Boon

Coach
#allLolo’sfault

Nobody is saying it is all JTs fault, all we are saying is all he is is big and fast. He has no skill or RL brains. He is a great go forward guy. In the era of 3 reserves he would be a liability.

Nobody is saying it is all JTs fault, all we are saying is all he is is big and fast. He has no skill or RL brains. He is a great go forward guy. In the era of 3 reserves he would be a liability.
Get help
Although it's probably too late .
You have NFI about the subject .

T-Boon

Coach
I wonder 10-15 years from now where Taumololo will rank alongside the likes of Coote, Raper, Clyde and the other great locks. He is an amazing player and such a great athlete as well.

He plays more the Mal Meninga position. Big guy running out wide at smaller guys. Big Back. That is still a compliment. Mal was a grood big footballer.

I just think 10 years fro now he will be the average sized player and some bigger guys will be steamrolling him. Isn't that young Brisbane lad already bigger, faster stronger? We all just need to get a few of them. Maybe we can get where skill isn't needed at all.
Are you talking about Payne Haas or Tevita Pangai Jr?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The role of the lock position has completely changed since those blokes played. The lock used to be the cover defender and wide runner. Now they are just a third prop. As far as the current job description goes Taumalolo is the best in the game when he wants to be, which isn't every week hence his team's position on the ladder.
Yeah, nah.

beave

Coach
I had to look this up because I thought they were the same player. Apparently they have slightly different names and from google I can confirm they are different people.

This post here confirms exactly what the whole of LU thinks about you.

You have no f**king idea.

big hit!

Bench

I wouldn't say a 3rd prop, but definitely not a lock of yesteryear who were generally the smaller forward with more stamina and could slot into backline moves & cover defend. #13s carry and defend in the middle, but you generally expect more minutes from them than your props, and they generally have better footwork and agility than the #8s and #10s who are still your traditional big battering rams. the backline roles of yesteryear locks have now been taken over by the old 2nd rowers on either side of the field.

And they're not even locks now. #9s lock the scrum acting like a rugby halfback distributing the ball from a union ruck which evolved from their role in play-the-balls, and the #13s are generally up in the middle of the front row in scrums these days.

#8 & 10 - props
#13 - middle forward
#11 & 12 - edge forwards
#9 - acting half

Tommy Smith

Referee
I wonder 10-15 years from now where Taumololo will rank alongside the likes of Coote, Raper, Clyde and the other great locks. He is an amazing player and such a great athlete as well.
Wasn't Raper famed for his round the legs cover tackles?

Let's be honest, it's likely that Lolo is twice the player he was.

Alas he doesn't have the mythos & mystique that come with being one of the legends from your grandads era; where not many games were televised but they swear blindly that "those blokes from my era" were the greatest.

King hit

Coach
Wasn't Raper famed for his round the legs cover tackles?

Let's be honest, it's likely that Lolo is twice the player he was.

Alas he doesn't have the mythos & mystique that come with being one of the legends from your grandads era; where not many games were televised but they swear blindly that "those blokes from my era" were the greatest.

My late grandfather used to go to the Brisbane test matches back in the day and he said Raper and Gasnier were as amazing as what people said. He said Raper not only brought a new dimension with cover defence his anticipation, match reading, work rate, ball skills and fitness were unparalleled and had never been seen before him. He believed that Raper was the protege to the modern day lock and strongly believed he would’ve been a mighty player in any era including the 21st century.

Imagine all the trouble he would get into now with the press looking for anything scandalous

Tommy Smith

Referee
My late grandfather used to go to the Brisbane test matches back in the day and he said Raper and Gasnier were as amazing as what people said. He said Raper not only brought a new dimension with cover defence his anticipation, match reading, work rate, ball skills and fitness were unparalleled and had never been seen before him. He believed that Raper was the protege to the modern day lock and strongly believed he would’ve been a mighty player in any era including the 21st century.
Perhaps...

I did hear someone make a good point how the majority of the Immortals come from an era where Great Britain beat Australia more often than not.

Where as the ultra dominant Roos teams of the 80s and 90s have only 1 Immortal among them.

I have to think that's down to the overly enamoured opinions we have of past greats through the passage of time.

What's that Lord of the Rings line? "History became legend. Legend became myth".

And this is especially so in the pre tv era.

T-Boon

Coach
He said Raper not only brought a new dimension with cover defence his anticipation

these things dont sound like a big deal to people use to the playing style of today but back when the game was very random and things like line breaks, chip kicks and yes dropped ball happened all over the field cover defending would have been an extremely valuable skill.

King hit

Coach
Perhaps...

I did hear someone make a good point how the majority of the Immortals come from an era where Great Britain beat Australia more often than not.

Where as the ultra dominant Roos teams of the 80s and 90s have only 1 Immortal among them.

I have to think that's down to the overly enamoured opinions we have of past greats through the passage of time.

What's that Lord of the Rings line? "History became legend. Legend became myth".

And this is especially so in the pre tv era.

The original immortals were picked in 1981 when Australia’s mighty test matches against the Poms were very fresh in everyone’s mind. The fact those tests were much closer than today lifts their profile I think and remember English RL was very strong in the 20th century.

Latest posts