What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Taumalolo

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
I actually liked Ash Graham. Was unlucky to miss out for Queensland imo.

Ash was a bit of a one hit wonder.... had a gun year in approximately 2007, and was long living off that legacy. He found some better form late in his career on the wing, as he most certainly was not a centre.

Big Pete

Referee
Speaking of Henry's tenure, I remember when he was coach the Ben Farrar for Michael Bani trade was looked at as the most incompetent recruitment move of the entire competition. I was thinking about this the other day and if I was a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't be as upset over the move. Farrar had injuries of course, but wasn't the winger the Cowboys desperately needed at the time either.

beave

Coach
Speaking of Henry's tenure, I remember when he was coach the Ben Farrar for Michael Bani trade was looked at as the most incompetent recruitment move of the entire competition. I was thinking about this the other day and if I was a Cowboys fan, I wouldn't be as upset over the move. Farrar had injuries of course, but wasn't the winger the Cowboys desperately needed at the time either.

we all blew up about it mate at the time.

It alll came out later that the club forgot to mention the move was done so that Farrar could be with his mum in Sydney whilst she was going through cancer........... We didn’t need to know the inner details at the time but a simple ‘we let Ben go for some very personal family reasons’ and we all would shut up and accepted it. The club was a shit fight back then

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
we all blew up about it mate at the time.

It alll came out later that the club forgot to mention the move was done so that Farrar could be with his mum in Sydney whilst she was going through cancer........... We didn’t need to know the inner details at the time but a simple ‘we let Ben go for some very personal family reasons’ and we all would shut up and accepted it. The club was a shit fight back then
around the same era that scott moore and scott minto came to townsville *shudders*

Big Pete

Referee
Minto was actually a Murray signing. I'm not entirely sure what the rationale was behind the move, I believe Muz thought he could make him into a decent fringe centre which was a concern for the Cowboys. Instead I believe they ended up going with Ash Graham and Ben Farrar.

I thought the recruitment was still pretty strong at the Cowboys. They were still signing a lot of talented up and coming players but a lot of them just didn't work out or they got lost in the shuffle. It wasn't until 2008 where it appeared Muz was out of ideas and the signings of guys like Ben Harris, Travis Burns, Dayne Weston etc. exposed that he'd run out of ideas.

Moore was a Henry signing and indicative of Neil identifying a problem, but not figuring out the right solution. The Cowboys had a weakness out of dummy half that had existed as far back as 2008 when Payne was beginning to slow down. Instead of grooming a couple of replacements and looking for viable NRL alternatives, Henry relied on whatever options fell into his lap until they were left with nobody. They took a shot on Moore who was an absolute long shot and it blew up in their face spectacularly and was just another factor that played into his demise.

beave

Coach
Minto was actually a Murray signing. I'm not entirely sure what the rationale was behind the move, I believe Muz thought he could make him into a decent fringe centre which was a concern for the Cowboys. Instead I believe they ended up going with Ash Graham and Ben Farrar.

I thought the recruitment was still pretty strong at the Cowboys. They were still signing a lot of talented up and coming players but a lot of them just didn't work out or they got lost in the shuffle. It wasn't until 2008 where it appeared Muz was out of ideas and the signings of guys like Ben Harris, Travis Burns, Dayne Weston etc. exposed that he'd run out of ideas.

Moore was a Henry signing and indicative of Neil identifying a problem, but not figuring out the right solution. The Cowboys had a weakness out of dummy half that had existed as far back as 2008 when Payne was beginning to slow down. Instead of grooming a couple of replacements and looking for viable NRL alternatives, Henry relied on whatever options fell into his lap until they were left with nobody. They took a shot on Moore who was an absolute long shot and it blew up in their face spectacularly and was just another factor that played into his demise.

you can pretty much deem 2007 as Muzz’s last year coaching NQ. Not gonna go into details but he’d lost the locker room in the offseason of 2008.

Lebbo73

Bench
Future Immortal.

He's absolutely that good and the only reason he hasn't been mentioned as such in the media is the borderline anti running forward bias when it comes to measuring greatness.

Every one loves a great playmaker and a silky smooth fullback, but credit where it's due: Lolo is as unique a talent as a Billy Slater or Cameron Smith.
If they had a special panel to do the voting for the Dally M, Lolo would have nearly won it twice by now. Instead we have muppets who just throw their 3-2-1 at the playmakers all of the time.

Big Pete

Referee
Moore was such a strange situation.

Somebody closer to the situation can shed more light, but from memory he pulled a Jordan Rankin and debuted at a ridiculously young age. By 21 he was one of the best players in the ESL and within a couple of seasons had flamed out. Then as his career was headed nowhere, the Cowboys decided to take a punt on him and he had the responsibility of giving the world's most talented player good ball.

beave

Coach
Moore was such a strange situation.

Somebody closer to the situation can shed more light, but from memory he pulled a Jordan Rankin and debuted at a ridiculously young age. By 21 he was one of the best players in the ESL and within a couple of seasons had flamed out. Then as his career was headed nowhere, the Cowboys decided to take a punt on him and he had the responsibility of giving the world's most talented player good ball.

looked shit hot in a trial in Cairns, couldn’t play like that against the regular opposition though. Too slow out of dummy half both in the run and passing from the ground. Got found out real quickly.

The the problem for mine was the f**king idiots let Segs go down to Penrith. He was looking like he was gonna be the answer for us in 2012 even though he had moments of selfishness and Penrith came in with a better offer and we panicked and got the useless Pom. I know Segs has had his off field f**ktardery going on at times, but if he stayed up there they may have been able to save him from himself, especially with his parents up the road in Cairns. Damn shame. I saw him tear Brisbane a new one at Penrith live in 2013 and it blew my mind how good he was that night and what could have been.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
looked shit hot in a trial in Cairns, couldn’t play like that against the regular opposition though. Too slow out of dummy half both in the run and passing from the ground. Got found out real quickly.

The the problem for mine was the f**king idiots let Segs go down to Penrith. He was looking like he was gonna be the answer for us in 2012 even though he had moments of selfishness and Penrith came in with a better offer and we panicked and got the useless Pom. I know Segs has had his off field f**ktardery going on at times, but if he stayed up there they may have been able to save him from himself, especially with his parents up the road in Cairns. Damn shame. I saw him tear Brisbane a new one at Penrith live in 2013 and it blew my mind how good he was that night and what could have been.

Don't forget Alex 'Lek' Elisala sadly passed away. I think he was going to be a very good hooker in the nrl, or a strong utility at the very least.

Latest posts