Jdb case

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by tumbidragon, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. st penguin

    st penguin Juniors

    Joined:
    May 25, 2018
    Messages:
    286
    Likes Received:
    412
    I don't understand your point. What line of thinking? The magistrate didn't decide on whether JDB should be allowed to take play football. He was only had to decide on whether relaxing bail conditions would affect JDB's chances of turning up to court ("flight risk")

    The NRL's decision to stand him down had nothing to do with bail conditions or flight risk.
     
    TruSaint likes this.
  2. st penguin

    st penguin Juniors

    Joined:
    May 25, 2018
    Messages:
    286
    Likes Received:
    412
    I wouldn't take these articles too seriously. Journalists tend to cherry pick parts of the testimony that will get the most clicks. Greenberg probably just made the anecdote as an aside to give some context, then he wakes up and finds its the main story. I think I read he was on the stand for 6 hours. He must have been talking about something else as well, not that the smh will bother reporting about it.
     
    SEAT 1A and TruSaint like this.
  3. 2218

    2218 Juniors

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2018
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    67
     
  4. Dragoness

    Dragoness Juniors

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    17
    This topic is pointless, lots of personalities different opinions. It doesn’t matter what any of us think, it will go one way or the other. Let’s let it be
     
    ST Tangles 01 and JohnnoMcJohnno like this.
  5. getsmarty

    getsmarty Referee

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    Messages:
    22,851
    Likes Received:
    14,153
    NRL v de Belin: Storm boss says horror summer cost club $500k
    League
    • April 18, 2019 1:16pm
    • by By Steve Zemek
    • Source: AAP
    [​IMG]
    Bart Campbell has taken the stand in the Federal Court to give evidence in support of the NRL’s ‘no-fault stand down’ policy.Source: AAP
    Melbourne Storm chairman Bart Campbell has claimed the NRL’s summer from hell cost his club $500,000 a year in lost sponsorship.
    The Storm co-owner made the claim in the Federal Court in support of the ARL Commission and NRL’s no-fault stand down rules, which are being challenged by St George Illawarra’s Jack de Belin.

    The case before Justice Melissa Perry will conclude on Thursday afternoon, with a judgment expected next week.

    Campbell was outspoken in his support of the hardline policy, which was introduced in March following the game’s controversy-marred off-season.

    Live stream the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership on KAYO SPORTS. Every game of every round live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial >

    The rules allow the game to stand down any player who has been charged with a serious crime which carries a jail term of 11 years or more.

    De Belin has been charged with aggravated sexual assault of a 19-year-old woman. He has pleaded not guilty.


    [​IMG]
    Controversy cost Storm $500K


    Campbell said after major Storm partner Crown Resorts last year announced they were retreating from the sponsorship market and ending their seven-figure deal, his club had struggled to find a replacement.

    De Belin’s barrister Martin Einfeld argued his client — who was charged in December — and the game’s tumultuous off-season had no effect on the Storm’s ability to attract a sponsor and they were already struggling in the market.

    However, Campbell said their sponsorship negotiations weren’t expected to wrap up until late 2018 or early 2019.

    He said the club had negotiated with 15 to 20 companies, all of which fell through.

    He said that early in the new year he was told by corporations that they didn’t want to be associated with the game.

    “We had four companies tell us the risk of being associated with the NRL was too great,” Campbell said.

    The club eventually in March signed real estate company Purple Bricks to a one-year deal to be their major sponsor.

    Campbell told the court he had negotiations with Purple Bricks, La Trobe Financial, as well as minor sponsors Fuso Trucks and Tiger Air about becoming major sponsors.

    He said the club was faced with taking $500,000 below market value for their front of jersey sponsorship.


    [​IMG]
    Eels give Bankwest a runout

    2:00
    Campbell said that since he had been involved with the club, they had experienced a significant financial upturn, however the code’s recent rash of bad behaviour had affected their ability to garner corporate support.

    “In the six years I’ve been involved with the club we’ve had an increase of 73 per cent in sponsorship, crowds have increased 70 per cent, membership has increased 75 per cent, TV audiences have gone from 11 million to 19 million,” Campbell said.

    Outside court Campbell said his stance was nothing personal against de Belin, he just wanted to protect the game.

    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/2088a8661bf81baebb836cd4dd425753

    P.S Mary should pin this to the wall when we play them.
     
  6. Willow

    Willow Administrator

    Joined:
    May 19, 2003
    Messages:
    79,563
    Likes Received:
    2,786
    It has been the case in League for many years. It wasn't always perfect but it worked.

    I think you're getting the League's internal investigations mixed up with the legal process. And perhaps you need to revisit my point on objective evidence, coincidentally supported by the RLPA.

    Is the RLPA wrong too? Was the NRL wrong prior to bringing in this new rule?

    I do believe in the principle of presumption of innocence. You've just got the wrong end of the stick.

    I only responded to your post because you were trying make some bizarre connection with sexual assaults in the church. I'm sure if the church was a better organisation and had evidence of sexual abuse, then the alleged sexual predators would have been stood down and reported to police. But it's a moot point, because of the cover ups. Essentially, you put forward an unrelated and somewhat irrelevant comparison.

    My argument is that JdB should not be stood down because he has pleaded not guilty and deserves the right to defend himself while being afforded the presumption of innocence. If there was objective evidence (like in Barba's case), then I'd understand the Club and the NRL sacking him. But there is no such objective evidence and Greenberg's recent comments seem to show that he hasn't got anything.
    Geez, you got that wrong. At no point have I suggested I be judge and jury. I've said quite the opposite.

    My argument has always been that the NRL/ARLC should allow for due process.
    lol. Talking about putting a fence around it.

    Yep. You've definitely got the wrong end of the stick. Again, I am talking about how Clubs and the League handle this.

    I thought you might just be playing devil's advocate, but it's pretty clear that something else at play, so that'll do me.
     
  7. Old Timer

    Old Timer Coach

    Joined:
    May 1, 2014
    Messages:
    10,255
    Likes Received:
    13,053
    The NRL need to make their decisions based on what that they believe will be detrimental to the game and that is s matter for them.
    No doubt there will be all sorts of pressure being applied by sponsors, fans etc etc
    I am merely stating that people can’t be discriminatory if they believe in the “innocent until proven guilty” theory.
     
  8. Willow

    Willow Administrator

    Joined:
    May 19, 2003
    Messages:
    79,563
    Likes Received:
    2,786
    We've seen worse. The News Corp article that started all this was so full of embellishment that I thought I walked into a Gothic theatre.
     
    2218 likes this.
  9. Willow

    Willow Administrator

    Joined:
    May 19, 2003
    Messages:
    79,563
    Likes Received:
    2,786
    At least you're giving your opinion now. It's a start.

    But the NRL did have a system in place before that allowed for the presumption of innocence. And they did basically judge each matter on a case-by-case basis. It was only a short while ago. Were you happy with the NRL's policy back then?

    FTR, there is no evidence of any pressure from sponsors.
     
    2218 likes this.
  10. possm

    possm Coach

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2011
    Messages:
    11,123
    Likes Received:
    8,511
    The ability for the Club - who has the player under contract - to stand the player down or cancel the contract has always been there however, the presumption of innocence was always the basis of the presumption of innocence until found otherwise by the courts.

    Each club can sack a player at any time but must provide the appropriate compensation if they do.

    If the ARLC/NRL want to stand down a player, they should not only compensate the player but also should compensate his club because they are left without the players services and with salary cap place that needs to be credited.
     
  11. WoyD4LWoy

    WoyD4LWoy Juniors

    Joined:
    May 28, 2017
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    382
    Storm lost $500,000 in sponsorship over NRL's horror summer, says Melbourne chairman Bart Campbell
    WRITTEN BYSPORTING NEWS

    [​IMG]

    LEAGUE
    LEAGUE
    ST. GEORGE-ILLAWARRA DRAGONS
    MELBOURNE STORM



    Melbourne Storm chairman Bart Campbell told Federal Court his club lost half a million dollars in sponsorship after the NRL's horror off-season, headlined by the rape charge against Jack de Belin.

    Campbell took the stand on Thursday morning to support the NRL and ARLC's implementation of the no-fault stand-down rule which suspended Dragons forward de Belin is seeking to eradicate.


    De Belin, who has vehemently denied sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman, is banned from playing until his rape case is resolved - which could take two years.

    MORE: Craig Bellamy takes aim at 'condescending' Roosters before grand final rematch

    Under the terms of the no-fault policy, any player charged with a crime carrying a maximum jail term of at least 11 years is automatically prevented from taking the field.


    before the rule was introduced, branding the NRL "morally tone deaf" for failing to take action at that point.

    He championed its introduction and testified on Thursday the rule was essential to protect the code's brand and attract sponsorship.

    "We had four companies tell us the risk of being associated with the NRL was too great," Campbell claimed.

    Campbell said Melbourne found it difficult to land a new major sponsor amid the game's off-field turmoil after Crown Resorts ended a seven-figure partnership with the club last year.


    He said the Storm entered negotiations with 15 to 20 companies which failed to bear fruit, with many brands saying they could not afford to associate with the NRL.

    The Storm signed Purple Bricks as a major sponsor on a one-year deal a week before the season started in March but were forced to agree to an offer $500,000 below market value.

    "As we moved forward we got down to two companies, where the position we found ourself in was commercially compromised - partially by reputation, partially by time," he said.

    "We ended up being forced into a situation where we either took an offer $500,000 below market value times four years, or $500,000 below market value for one year."

    De Belin's barrister Martin Einfeld QC suggested the Storm's calls to reinstate the 2007 and 2009 premierships that were stripped in 2010 over salary cap breaches could also have turned sponsors away.

    Campbell denied this and said the club has been on an upward trend in the six years he has been involved.

    "In the six years I have been involved with the club sponsorship has increased by 73 per cent, crowds have increased by 70 per cent, membership has increased by 75 per cent and our TV viewership has gone from 11 to 19 million," Campbell said.


    "So I think it is misleading to suggest that a recent conversation that was topical in the context of the salary cap issues at Cronulla has in any way dented the commercial program at the club."

    Campbell said outside court he had no personal problem with de Belin but believes it is important to put the game first.

    "I have no issues with Jack per se, but I want the game to be able to make choices about how it can protect its value going forward," he said.

    A decision in de Belin's fight against the NRL and ARLC is expected early next week, meaning - if he wins - he could be available for St George Illawarra's Anzac Day clash with the Roosters.


    NBA Playoffs 2019: Kyrie Irving 'looking forward to challenge' of Game 3 in Indiana
    AMP
    NBA

    NBA Playoffs 2019: Four Takeaways from James Harden's triple-double performances as Rockets take 2-0 series lead over Jazz
    AMP
    NBA

    NBA Playoffs 2019: James Harden earns Player of the Day
    AMP
    NBA

    NBA Playoffs 2019: Three takeaways from Bucks 21-point Game 2 win over Pistons
    AMP
    NBA

    Craig Bellamy takes aim at 'condescending' Roosters before grand final rematch
    AMP
    LEAGUE
     
  12. WoyD4LWoy

    WoyD4LWoy Juniors

    Joined:
    May 28, 2017
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    382
    Pretty desperate having this goose as a witness! St.George bank have stuck by Dragons as have all our sponsors!
     
    2218 likes this.
  13. The Damo

    The Damo Juniors

    Joined:
    May 17, 2014
    Messages:
    1,638
    Likes Received:
    2,060
    Yes, what would the chairman of arguably the most successful Club know? Scum they may be, but it’s hard to argue they’d know less about commercial success than our board.
    And we don’t know what our sponsors would have done - because Jack isn’t playing while charged.
     
    WoyD4LWoy and TruSaint like this.
  14. WoyD4LWoy

    WoyD4LWoy Juniors

    Joined:
    May 28, 2017
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    382
    I am sure his Dragon team mates who are standing by JDB are standing by his side because he is no rapist! The people who comment that in any other job it's legal to stand a person down until after court, you are misguided fools!
     
  15. WoyD4LWoy

    WoyD4LWoy Juniors

    Joined:
    May 28, 2017
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    382
    St.George Bank standing by us! Damo no disrespect mate but your argument has been full of assumptions on every comment you have made on this thread!
     
    The Damo likes this.
  16. The Damo

    The Damo Juniors

    Joined:
    May 17, 2014
    Messages:
    1,638
    Likes Received:
    2,060
    None taken mate, though it’s not actually an assumption to say we don’t know what sponsors would do if Jack plays, because he hasn’t played.
    If he plays we’ll find out, Unless that happens saying it won’t effect sponsorships is an assumption.
     
    WoyD4LWoy likes this.
  17. WoyD4LWoy

    WoyD4LWoy Juniors

    Joined:
    May 28, 2017
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    382
    Damo I aslo appreciate your opinion mate, like I do with all Dragon supporters on every thread, might not agree but all of us a very passionate lot and all we crave is success for our mighty Saints D4L
     
    ALSGI and The Damo like this.
  18. 2218

    2218 Juniors

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2018
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    67
    Talk about a show boat. Takes over from a club with extensive cheating 2.4 million over 3-4 years having two premierships removed and states that he has increased sponsorship since that time by 73%. Hmmm and now he can’t get $500k because of player behaviour because of jack. Longest bow I’ve ever seen. Why didn’t the NRL call our CEO. I hope the NRL aren’t basing all their evidence on girls not playing touch footy and a club unable to find 500k.
    I’d just like to know how many sponsors pull out of the NRL if jack wins. I’d suggest none. You can’t convince anyone especially a federal judge that possible future sponsorship rests solely on the jack considering all the other dramas going on.
     
  19. hewi

    hewi Juniors

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2010
    Messages:
    1,950
    Likes Received:
    2,915
    One would have to assume they have seen and read JDB side of the story probably talked to him themselves and think he is innocent.
     
    WoyD4LWoy likes this.
  20. WoyD4LWoy

    WoyD4LWoy Juniors

    Joined:
    May 28, 2017
    Messages:
    202
    Likes Received:
    382
    I don't understand why he had to elaborate that it isn't bias against JDB himself? Why weren't all CEO with every club giving evidence? This is a total embarrassment for the NRL!
     
    Belta and 2218 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page