What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeremy Latimore to retire at seasons end:

getsmarty

Immortal

Breaking
Latimore to retire at season's end
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 29 Jul 2019, 07:30 PM

St George Illawarra front-rower Jeremy Latimore has announced he will retire at the completion of the Dragons' 2019 Telstra Premiership campaign.

The 32-year-old journeyman's first grade career has spanned 11 seasons and 177 NRL games (to date) across five NRL clubs, and includes an Australia Prime Minister's XIII berth in 2015.

The Port Macquarie Sharks junior moved to Sydney in 2006 and commenced his senior rugby league career at Cronulla. Latimore made his first grade debut for the Parramatta Eels in 2009 before shifting to the New Zealand Warriors (2010-11), St George Illawarra (2012) and Penrith Panthers (2013-16).

Latimore returned to the Sharks for the 2017 season before re-joining the Dragons in 2018. He celebrated his 50th game for the Red V in Round 15 this year – the same day he famously hitchhiked two rides to make kick-off in time.

latimorej-try-180901_pb_2664.jpg

Jeremy Latimore: Through the archives

1/18

2/18
grahamj-latimorej_1nh_5852.jpg

3/18
latimorej_1nh_5920.jpg

4/18
latimorej-180425_gt_332.jpg

Latimore thanked the Red V members and fans for their support across his three years at the Dragons, and those who were there every step of the way throughout.

"I've been thinking about [retirement] for a couple of weeks now, and I feel now is the right time to go out for myself and my family. I've had a ball and I really love this Dragons club but unfortunately all good things have to come to an end," Latimore said.

"To all the Red V members and fans, you have been a great crew to me and the boys. For you to have embraced me over the past couple of years, it's something I've truly enjoyed.

"I'll never forget the 'Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!' chant taking off; it's something I've been so happy to see people get around."

Announcing his retirement afforded Latimore the time to reflect on his wonderful career.

"My NRL debut (Round 11, 2009) is something I always look back on fondly. It was the culmination of a lot of hard work in front of all my family and friends," Latimore said.

"To also be involved in all the finals games that I have has been awesome. It's a different sort of beast. Looking back at our game in Brisbane last year especially, that's something I'll hold with me forever. I was lucky enough to play part in three Anzac Day games too."

Latimore won't be lost to the game however, with his future otherwise looking bright in the years to come.

"I'll definitely be heading into mortgage broking so if anyone out there needs a loan, you know where to come. Big Jerry at your service," Latimore laughed.

"Finance is definitely a passion. I did a University degree (Bachelor of Business at University of Wollongong) so naturally I'll be in the corporate world and I'll look to build my mortgage broking business.

"I'll probably keep playing footy in the Wollongong comp too; it'll help me get my footy fix as I haven't lost my love of game."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/29/jeremy-latimore-to-retire-at-seasons-end/

Crush

Coach
Will this announcement be the spark that lights the fire for the Dragons comeback and race to the title!?
Lols

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Lets all stand by for the Lats farewell tour.
Our last "home" game is against the Titans, tick.
Then we have a game against his former club The Sharks, tick.
Then our penultimate game at the SCG ("home game") against the Tigers, tick.

Good luck to Lats though and made the right decision (I'm sure he was in McGregors plans for next year).

As someone else already said, he never picked himself, but gave as much as his ability allowed.

Gareth67

First Grade

Yes the very best of good fortune for the future mate . One of my fondest memories of you will be the way that you mangled the games No.1 cheater ( Pictured above , kindly supplied by our forums archivist - muzby ) marbles at Kogarah Oval . They will have your painting in the Taj Mahal foyer for that particular exploit ! Once again - the best of luck to you Latts . :innocent:

This Year?

Immortal
Lats greatest gift to the game was putting a shot on Benji a few years back at Jubillee and the 2nd greatest moment involving Cam getting his grapes pushed in.
All the best Lats, I'm going to miss those lumbering hitups . Now piss off before your legacy gets soured by becoming a coach!
Thank you for everything you've done at Saints :)

hewi

Bench
Ok, so him and Allgood plus possibly Graham. Who will make the cut out of Blacker, Timm and Kerr? Personally I think all 3 should get new contracts.

RufusRex

Post Whore
So i have had a night to consider this news ...

To me it shows just how f**ked as a club we are ...

Lamitore was only ever a squad player with no future. This has been revealed now as fact. His retirement confirms that .

Lachlan Timm has been busting a gut performing at reserve grade level with performances that demand 1st grade consideration. He may not be a great NRL player but he has done what you expect a reserve grader to do to get a chance from the bench. But that bench spot has been blocked by Latimore.

Now Timm is going after being told he wont get a chance with us and Latimore is now also going. Timm frustrated to the Nth degree about promises/assurances and being dicked around.

As a result we need to find 2 more squad props for next years Top 30. However the kicker is this. What budding junior would come to us seeking an opportunity knowing what they know about Timm, Latimore and Mary?

So Mary persisting with Latimore has cost us 2 props not just 1.