What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

Saint Doc

Coach
And speaking of ISC...

48FB45AD-6509-4E9B-846F-A330E1D37020.jpg

3E4D5458-8F7D-407E-A0DC-14AF0A6F81D3.jpg

beagle

Juniors
They did try it a few years back with Parramatta. The year between ISC and Blades (2012 I think). It was manufactured by PlayCorp on behalf of the NRL with a view of taking more teams in house if it was successful and making it centralized to the NRL. It didn't work as the company didn't get the numbers right, the designs weren't great etc etc. Should have been given more than one year but anyway it is good it failed really.

If this all went in house it would be a disaster!!! It is too much for the NRL to handle (look at things they currently get right and wrong!!!). Also the biggest factor is it would drive stores like Jerseys Megastore, Peter Wynn's, What's Your Team etc etc our of business. The NRL could mandate prices, hold exclusives over for themselves or clubs, undercut these shops when stuck with stock and so on. It just wouldn't work.

The Parramatta jerseys etc were made by Burley-Sekem under the RL13 brand. I wasn't surprised that arrangement didn't continue past 2012. The merchandise wasn't great, and the colours were off, especially the blue of the home jersey.

Dawesy76

Juniors
The one size fits all supplier deal the a league had with Reebok pissed all the clubs off they thought the a league had undercut their value and the clubs were able to negotiate better individual deals. So it’s a tricky one for the Australian market

100%green

Juniors
The Parramatta jerseys etc were made by Burley-Sekem under the RL13 brand. I wasn't surprised that arrangement didn't continue past 2012. The merchandise wasn't great, and the colours were off, especially the blue of the home jersey.

Yes sorry my bad it was Burley....It was rubbish!

NK Arsenal

Juniors
The one size fits all supplier deal the a league had with Reebok pissed all the clubs off they thought the a league had undercut their value and the clubs were able to negotiate better individual deals. So it’s a tricky one for the Australian market
Another issue with that Reebok and HAL deal was how boring the kits looked
From memory I think there was only two different templates Reebok used (until Victory got their way and were allowed to use the big white V) and it meant no club could really establish its own identity

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
They did try it a few years back with Parramatta. The year between ISC and Blades (2012 I think). It was manufactured by PlayCorp on behalf of the NRL with a view of taking more teams in house if it was successful and making it centralized to the NRL. It didn't work as the company didn't get the numbers right, the designs weren't great etc etc. Should have been given more than one year but anyway it is good it failed really.

If this all went in house it would be a disaster!!! It is too much for the NRL to handle (look at things they currently get right and wrong!!!). Also the biggest factor is it would drive stores like Jerseys Megastore, Peter Wynn's, What's Your Team etc etc our of business. The NRL could mandate prices, hold exclusives over for themselves or clubs, undercut these shops when stuck with stock and so on. It just wouldn't work.

I didnt know that about Parra, thanks for the tip.

Actually the NRL has a pretty great track record in terms of branding and merch. Id say the club shit looks very “same shit”. They all just flog jerseys and poli shirts. The ARLC does the best street gear for NRL fans.

As for the last bit, it would be shit for the independent shops, but it sounds like the NRL would make a shitload by controlling the whole marker

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I’m an NBL fan. The thing with producing things “in house” is that people like wearing brand names!

When the Kings gear was made by ISC a few years back, I didn’t buy anything. It just felt weird, ISC is a footy brand. You don’t see the Lakers or Celtics in ISC. Felt tacky.

Then the league moved to Mitchell and Ness, a brand with serious street cred in basketball. Probably the second biggest jersey producer for NBA (they do all the retro stuff...like Classic Sports here but very popular) and are probably 2nd behind NewEra for hats/Snapbacks etc
Huge global brand. So I bought up- couple of jerseys, shorts, hoodie.

Now they’re in house- “First Ever”.
The stuff looks basically the same as Mitchell and Ness- as someone else said i suspect it’s the same factory. But it does lose a bit of appeal.

If NRL went league wide, it would have to be with a brand - ISC have traction in RL, but otherwise a big brand like adidias/Nike etc.

If everything had “NRLgear” branding I think people would be pretty underwhelmed

I think you overestimate how much people care about the manufactures brand. Will a Knights fan refuse to buy a jumper because they are loyal to Adidas over ISC? When it comes to football gear, the club is the important logo.

On top of that, an NRL merch brand would very quickly become one of the best known in the country. What better platform would a merch brand have than exclusive rights to the most watched sport in the country?

Last edited:

100%green

Juniors
I didnt know that about Parra, thanks for the tip.

Actually the NRL has a pretty great track record in terms of branding and merch. Id say the club shit looks very “same shit”. They all just flog jerseys and poli shirts. The ARLC does the best street gear for NRL fans.

As for the last bit, it would be shit for the independent shops, but it sounds like the NRL would make a shitload by controlling the whole marker

I wouldn't credit the NRL with that too much. Yes they get it right with the ranges. On field and supporters ranges. But mostly they would get shown ranges, select what they want and sign off on it. Mostly this would be down to the manufactures designing them. But I agree they do alot right.

Yes it is crap for the independents but the NRL and clothing brands shouldn't run the whole show. It wouldn't go well for fans.

100%green

Juniors
I think you overestimate how much people care about the manufactures brand. Will a Knights fan refuse to buy a jumper because they are loyal to Adidas over ISC? When it comes to football gear, the club is the important logo.

On top of that, an NRL merch brand would very quickly become one of the best known in the country. What better platform would a merch brand have than exclusive rights to the most watched sport in the country?

Agreed! There are companies I don't want to see the Raiders or teams I collect with but if they are I wouldn't stop buying their gear.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I wouldn't credit the NRL with that too much. Yes they get it right with the ranges. On field and supporters ranges. But mostly they would get shown ranges, select what they want and sign off on it. Mostly this would be down to the manufactures designing them. But I agree they do alot right.

Obviously, the ARLC execs would never design anything. There role is only to say “yes/no” and give general direction.

These designers could be brought into the ARL organization or the ARLC could find designers they trust and give them commissions. Hell, they could even ask clubs to design their own gear and the centralized group just finishes the drawing to make it produceable

What the ARLC has shown beyond doubt is that they care about the integrity of their brand. Where clubs just look to their yearly balance sheet and ask what they can whore out, the ARLC seem to genuinely care about maintaining the long-term value of the games image.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yes it is crap for the independents but the NRL and clothing brands shouldn't run the whole show. It wouldn't go well for fans.

Im not saying the ARLC need to produce ALL merch, just the on-field stuff. They could still contract out the club/game images to other companies.

I just hate that the ARLC have this valuable market under their control and just choose to take a small bit of easy cash and let these companies make the big profits. Put in a bit of work and bring all of this money into the game.

If we are worried about PR, take all of the revenue from these sales and put the profits directly into junior footy. They could even do yearly releases “the fans have helped NRLGear put $Xmillion into junior football. All profits from NRLGear go directly to junior football and other NRL charity programs”.

sempmrh

Juniors
I would like to see a better range of quality retro and off-field gear. Getting ‘47 on board is a start but there needs to be more.

Very happy Wolfpack are moving to ISC. Will definitely pick something up now since I’ll know exactly what I’m getting and how it fits.

Latest posts