What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

Reflector

Juniors
I'm all for squad numbers, though I'm happy for 1-99 instead of 1-30. 1-99 also gives you the opportunity to add Reserve Grade and U21's as well if your club goes that deep.

Like you said, the numbers rarely mean anything on game day: positions where two players play (2nd row, wing, etc) already get a choice of 2 numbers to wear - who can honestly tell me which side of the field these days is 2 and which is 5? Once the reserves come on the numbers almost become pointless outside of identification.

It also helps the players create a brand for themselves around their chosen number, and the club and player can create additional merchandise. I like putting the official numbers on the St George jerseys I buy, but it's a pain in the arse if they move around all season. For example, I had 3 put on my Dragons heritage jersey because that's where Jack Bird played that day and he was having a great season for us. But the rest of the season he also played 5/8, fullback, second row and lock. I do that with a standard Red V, it could of been Bird, Lomax, Ramsay, Beale, Amone, and probably others I'm forgetting.
This and names on the back were the only two things we should've kept from Superleague.

yakstorm

First Grade
I was also a fan of the fact that their balls were heavily branded Super League. The ball had a unique design for the competition and at least 3 of the 4 panels had SL branding of some sort (either just the S or a competition logo).

637260744930128951__mariners.jpg

The ARL balls at the time had Steedan on all 4 panels, with one also including the ARL logo. NRL balls today, whilst at least having a more unique look, still have nothing special about them from a design perspective.
a0cdb77d19c816418d1d879ff83ff839

Perth Red

Post Whore
While I thought the design of the SL logo was good, the fact that it was front and centre of jersey with no club logo was proof that their marketing gurus had no f**king idea.
They didnt have much choice/time given the trademark battle over club names that was going on. I'm sure if SL had continued by year 2 the trademarks would have been sorted out and club logos and names would have been on the jerseys.

They didnt have much choice/time given the trademark battle over club names that was going on. I'm sure if SL had continued by year 2 the trademarks would have been sorted out and club logos and names would have been on the jerseys.
Didn’t know that, thought it was a SL mandate to further differentiate them from the ARL. What about the across-the-league jersey templates, was that a time issue, too? That always bothered me at the time. Thought each jersey/club design should be unique

You bloke's are off ya head.
As a 10 year old kid I was like WOHHHHHH.
Marketing nailed.
Ten year olds grow up and what they thought was cool as a kid turns to daggy when they get to their teens and then adulthood. Brisbane Roar came up with their name in research groups of young people. Wonder what their grown up versions of themselves think of that name now. We’ll never know if SL were onto something, though.

MugaB

Coach
Ten year olds grow up and what they thought was cool as a kid turns to daggy when they get to their teens and then adulthood. We’ll never know if SL were onto something, though
The NRL is Super League, without all the new rules they brought in, paid professional players, club brandings, foxtel run/paid/owned, don't see a difference between then and now really, just kept the choice of ARL clubs instead of the plastic ones created by Murdoch

Ten year olds grow up and what they thought was cool as a kid turns to daggy when they get to their teens and then adulthood. Brisbane Roar came up with their name in research groups of young people. Wonder what their grown up versions of themselves think of that name now. We’ll never know if SL were onto something, though.
Brisbane roar came up because they couldn't use the name Brisbane Lions (AFL). The roar were originally a Dutch football club in Brisbane, called the Brisbane Lions.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The NRL is Super League, without all the new rules they brought in, paid professional players, club brandings, foxtel run/paid/owned, don't see a difference between then and now really, just kept the choice of ARL clubs instead of the plastic ones created by Murdoch
Most, if not all, of SL's marketing, branding, and strategic decisions that people bag as 'plastic' were ones they were forced into because of legal reasons or circumstance. Not having club branding, the competition logo in the middle of the jersey, shared jersey designs, even things as big as the Mariners and Rams being part of the comp, were all decisions that they were forced into.

As such it's at best disingenuous, if not out right dishonest, to make out that those elements of SL are somehow representative of SL, or the SL "vision" if you will.

It's also simply wrong to suggest that the NRL is just an extension of SL, or that SL won the "war", as the NRL is not, and never has been, representative of the SL plan.
RL would probably be much better off if SL (or the ARL for that matter) had really won the war outright, because the NRL is a compromise that is the worst of both worlds in a lot of ways.

flippikat

Bench
Most, if not all, of SL's marketing, branding, and strategic decisions that people bag as 'plastic' were ones they were forced into because of legal reasons or circumstance. Not having club branding, the competition logo in the middle of the jersey, shared jersey designs, even things as big as the Mariners and Rams being part of the comp, were all decisions that they were forced into.

As such it's at best disingenuous, if not out right dishonest, to make out that those elements of SL are somehow representative of SL, or the SL "vision" if you will.

It's also simply wrong to suggest that the NRL is just an extension of SL, or that SL won the "war", as the NRL is not, and never has been, representative of the SL plan.
RL would probably be much better off if SL (or the ARL for that matter) had really won the war outright, because the NRL is a compromise that is the worst of both worlds in a lot of ways.
The phrase "A camel is a horse designed by committee" springs to mind here.

MugaB

Coach
in trying to think up a new Away jersey for my team,
thought about a reverse licorice All Sorts of the '91 and now 2021 heritage panther jersey, maybe this could stand as a home instead and heritage as the away... but both would be worn with black kits, so maybe not, and the pink is still used and is popular with most familys (i know mine is, I have all girls, so that 3 pink jerseys to buy each season)
Penrith AWAY MockUp.png
Penrith Panthers.png
plus I redesigned the logo, added the '91 hoops and colours and made the panther look towards where it is leaping, i was never a fan of the panthers head facing at you, it's like its posing for a selfie, at least this one is more of an updated version of the original, i made this about 3 years ago, when the colours started to return, and we finally ditched the teal

Last edited:

Tigers1986

Juniors
Names on the jerseys and an individually specified number for each player would be a nice touch for the NRL. Global branding for say, Cristiano Ronaldo (CR7) and Tom Brady (12) is right on point and absolutely not limited to just them.

Makes it more marketable and as said above, with players roaming all over the field and able to play multiple positions, the positional numbers are kind of moot.

TDD91

Juniors
CT22RHS.jpg

Castleford Tigers 2022 Home.

Still prefer Cas in Amber rather than Orange, but it won't be the worst jersey in Super League at least.

Latest posts