What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jessica Halloran - What is her role?

Brutus

Referee
She only reports on rugby league when there is something negative to highlight.

If there's an incident with women in the game you can bet Jessica will be straight in there with a feature piece on how terrible rl's culture is.

We'll probably get a drink driving expose this week from Jessica.

They only wheel her out to stick the boot in.

Is there a job description for this?

Big Sam

First Grade
Herald. The only time I've seen an article of hers pop up was after the Te'o 'incident'.

Herald. The only time I've seen an article of hers pop up was after the Te'o 'incident'.

No , she writes for the telegraph.

Had a discussion with her on twitter after the T'eo news broke , she felt strongly that it would be the right thing for T'eo to front the media and explain his side of the story.

I informed her that the media were not the judicial arbiters in assault cases.

Big Sam

First Grade

I think I found out why, Brutus:

Jessica Halloran ? Award-winning feature writer with the Sunday Telegraph. Has forged a reputation for in-depth interviews, emotive profile stories and vibrant colour pieces. Daughter of a Carlton footballer and, like Karmichael Hunt, has a proven track record in both codes.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sport-profiles/story-fni0cx4q-1226644201931

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
That's been the whole problem in the media since the SL war, they started getting rid of all the decent RL writers and replaced them with Victorians to the point we are at now.

It's pathetic, no wonder the garbage is shoved down our throats, they have managed to infest everything.

nrlnrl

First Grade

If there's an incident with women in the game you can bet Jessica will be straight in there with a feature piece on how terrible rl's culture is.

We'll probably get a drink driving expose this week from Jessica.

They only wheel her out to stick the boot in.

Is there a job description for this?

I'm glad someone else noticed her extremely limited approach to articles. She was criticised on Twitter for using quotes from a fan forum because it suited her agenda - pathetic stuff. Even though no-one apart from the 4 people in the house know or might know, our amazing journalist had launched into Te'o about the black eye coming from a punch. ( not all of them might have witnessed the alleged assault or because they were drunk & their memory is impacted ).

Who knows how it happened, but her biased reporting was based on her view of what might have happened. This quote was inflammatory "I am not sure how vulnerable I would feel if I had my face punched in. You still haven't tossed up any Te'o questions.."

El Diablo

Post Whore
and for no reason she decides to write the same shit she has before

and Ken Edwards doesn't even play

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/5b9762f2dcdd2c3772a13c555f364e53

NRL players found guilty of domestic violence should face life bans from the game

Jessica Halloran, The Daily Telegraph
43 minutes ago

YOU can violently throw your girlfriend against garage walls and play rugby league. Kirisome Auva’a did that, won a premiership with Souths and now plays for the Parramatta Eels.

You can punch, kick, slap and throw your girlfriend across the room during fits of rage, but don’t worry, you will be given a second chance in the NRL. Zane Tetevano, who did just this, may have had his Manly contract torn up after he did just this but he is now a Sydney Rooster.

It is just how it is in rugby league. You can be guilty of domestic violence and still have the privilege of playing the ‘greatest game of all’.

You will still be able to run out in front of thousands, have little children idolise you, earn hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of dollars and live out your own boyhood dream.

Currently there are six footballers in the NRL who have either pleaded guilty or been found guilty for a domestic violence offence.

That stat includes one of the biggest stars of the game, Queensland captain Greg Inglis, who was charged but avoided conviction after assaulting his now ex-partner Sally.

Inglis accepted responsibility of an open-hand push on Sally and attended a behavioural change program as well as donating $3000 to a women’s refuge.

The others are Bronco Matt Lodge, Eel Ken Edwards and Manly’s Addin Fonua-Blake who have all pleaded guilty to assaulting their then respective partners. Fonua-Blake was given a 12 month suspended jail sentence after he pleaded guilty and was convicted for pushing and kicking Ana — the mother of his two children.

In the AFL there is not a single player currently on a club list who has a domestic violence conviction. No Rugby Australia players have been found guilty of domestic violence since the code went professional in 1996.

Pointing out these statistics is not to say these football codes’ players are devoid of serious behavioural problems. No way.

Several AFL players who have since left the game have been found guilty of domestic violence. Two years ago, former Carlton star Nick Stevens was thrown in jail for three months after he admitted repeatedly bashing his former girlfriend, including kicking her as she lay cowering on the ground.

Last year former AFL star Justin Murphy pleaded guilty to 28 charges for a series of attacks on his ex-partner, including one which involved a blowtorch causing her disfiguring injuries.

Years after his retirement former Kangaroos star, and now a leading AFL commentator for Channel 7, Wayne Carey allegedly smashed a wine glass into the face of his former girlfriend Kate Nielson. She did not press charges, but Carey pleaded guilty to assaulting and resisting Miami police who attended the scene.

But back to the current cold hard fact that six domestic violence offenders are playing NRL is evidence that men in league are way too forgiving. NRL officials have set an ugly and dangerous precedent by being hellbent on allowing men that commit violent acts against women back into the game.

The attitude of “rugby league doesn’t walk away from challenges” and people who make “horrible errors” is hurting the game commercially say several club bosses.

“If someone is behaving poorly they are taking money out of our pockets and we need to make sure that doesn’t happen,” one NRL club executive said. “No one has a God-given right to be playing in the NRL every week. It is an absolute privilege.”

Another club boss said the code needs to start putting the value of the game above any individual.

“We need to stop forgiving men who commit violence against women,” the NRL club official said.

“There is currently no consequence for men in our game for men who commit an act of domestic violence.”

“The bottom line is rubbish individuals should not be allowed to be heroes to our children and men.”

The NRL should have a zero tolerance of violence against women and children. That is footballers should be banned from playing for life if found guilty of domestic violence.

In fact, all football codes in Australia, if they were serious about this issue that has seen 30 women die this year, would take a true leadership on the issue and implement a policy of life bans for DV offenders.

The NRL are currently working on policies and protocols around domestic violence. They say they are considering life bans. But the sense is under its current leadership, where they are determined on giving a player a second or third chance, the likelihood of life bans seems dim.

Talk to NRL fans and many will tell you they don’t want “grubs” in the game and back life bans. The problem is the code and many club hierarchies are packed with men willing to absolve players of some of their serious responsibilities.

Take Matthew Lodge. Lodge finally settled an amount on compensation this week with the victims he violently tormented in the States.

Yet, Lodge didn’t take time off work to get on a plane to physically make amends. Lodge’s father, Bronco’s chief executive Paul White, his lawyers represented him in New York instead to reach a compensation agreement.

Lodge should have also apologised to the woman he emotionally and physically tormented by now; his ex-girlfriend Charlene Saliba. Lodge hasn’t and keeps denying he ever hit her despite there being a witness to the assault he pleaded guilty to. No one from the NRL has ever reached out to Ms Saliba to offer her counselling or to just see if she is OK.

And I guess this is the problem. Victims are rarely thought of in the game of rugby league.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Typical when a women's RL game was just played that shat on anything the wafl could throw up (dogs breakfast). If the wafl had played a match last night, we wouldn't be hearing the end of it as we all know afl invented women.

I wouldn't piss on the liar if she was on fire, I can handle all the bad news, no skin off my nose, but for f**ks sake, how about not letting your pathetic agenda be seen? Naaa to dumb to see that, or maybe, just maybe, the PAY is too good to refuse.

Latest posts