What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jets in S.G Ball for '09

Bluebags1908

Juniors
The Media Release says:
"Newtown last fielded a team (under the Newtown Jets RLFC banner) in the S G Ball Cup competition back in 1983."

However, it must be noted that the Jets did field junior representative teams under the "Newtown-Campbelltown" banner in 1984 & 1985. Newtown played some home games in Campbelltown in their last year in 1st grade in 1983 and were to move permanently to Campbelltown in 1984.

Jeffles

Bench
http://www.sydneyroosters.com.au/news.php?ArticleID=3550

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...-cutting-to-survive-says-politis/1336896.aspx

So has this been confirmed that we'll be having a Jets team in the junior comps for next season?

If it is the case it's great news for the club, even if we're Easts in disguise.

It has been confirmed. I'm looking forward to seeing another Newtown team go round and in this competition we get to play Souths, Illawarra and other clubs that don't field teams under their own banner in the NSW Cup. The home games will try to line up with NSW Cup home games. Fingers crossed we can watch the away games of both teams as well. Junior rep games are usually played on Saturday morning/arvo.

Red Bear

Referee
My dad enjoyed playing Flegg aand SG ball and what not against Newtown back in the 70's

One of the only teams my dads team (Norths) could actually beat:)

outsider

Juniors
There are only about 12 rounds so at best 6 home games and away games may include the Gold Coast.

It is an amazing turnaround with the club taking on an SG BAll side as it was howled down a few years ago when first raised as unrealistic.

stumped

Juniors
just a thought, with the jets now in conjunction with the Roosters fielding an S G Ball side, undoubtedly, the Roosters would have ear marked a dozen or so quality player they would be grooming for the Toyota Cup u/20's, where would the other 10-15 players come from?

The Junior jets have an affiliation with Souths juniors being they play in the souths junior competition!

will Souths juniors allow players from their competition to represent a life long enemy in the Roosters?

will the Jets be able to afford the added cost and not jeopardies the premier leagues strength through lack of funds to attract quality players?

has this been though through at great length? it seems that the Roosters pull out of the comp and within a week the jets announce they will be fielding a team!

One can only imagine that the property deal at Narellan has gone through and the funds will be dispersed at the discretion of the board and not that of the owners of the club, THE MEMBERS.

Jeffles

Bench
Other players will come from open trials. What other junior leagues will do is yet to be determined. However, Newtown SG Ball is free to sign a player after a certain date with no bearing on which junior club they played for in 2008.

Costs aren't a problem. The additional expense is really not much to speak of. The players are unpaid, the competition only runs for 9 weeks, half of the players are already supplied, most staff are already in place.

This is a good thing for the club. I'm looking forward to next year.

Keen4Green

Juniors
It appears the majority of the clubs fielding SG Ball sides have named at least their summer train on squads already. Any idea if and when open trials will actually go ahead ?

outsider

Juniors
Most junior rep sides start training in November so your trials would need to have been in October at least despite the season only being 12 weeks. Despite players not being paid it still costs money, travel, auxilliary staff, gear etc I hope the club does notget an away game to the Gold coast as it is expensive for air travel up and back in one day.It isn't junior league now as a number of Ball players may step up to NYC so they need to be fully equiped to deal with it hence the early start to pre season training, 4 nights a week.

Last edited:

stumped

Juniors
Other players will come from open trials. What other junior leagues will do is yet to be determined. However, Newtown SG Ball is free to sign a player after a certain date with no bearing on which junior club they played for in 2008.

Costs aren't a problem. The additional expense is really not much to speak of. The players are unpaid, the competition only runs for 9 weeks, half of the players are already supplied, most staff are already in place.

This is a good thing for the club. I'm looking forward to next year.

thanks for that, I still can not understand the fact the you or the club think they will field a team at little expense, I know first hand that a 13 year kid in the Cronulla area has his schooling covered by the sharks, his sporting needs (sponsors product) supplied and his mother has an allowance for travel to get him to and from various rugby league related programs, I have also noticed that if any kid that shows the slightest ability is kept under lock and key way before the age of 18, hence open trials, if that is how the club intend to fill the gap is realistically on open invitations to wannabes,

what I still cant come to grips with is how this team will be financed?
the club cut the Jim Beam side 2/3 years ago and we had the explanation that it cost too much! now the club is fielding a second team and from what i hear around the Eastern Suburbs, a player who left mid season is still at the club for money he is owed from his time served!

one now can only imagine that the property deal that has been bandied around at the last 4/5 AGM's has finally come through and the board have decided to spend the money on an S G Ball side rather than have the real owners of the club, THE MEMBERS vote on what/where this money would be best served.

Last edited:

Jeffles

Bench
thanks for that, I still can not understand the fact the you or the club think they will field a team at little expense, I know first hand that a 13 year kid in the Cronulla area has his schooling covered by the sharks, his sporting needs (sponsors product) supplied and his mother has an allowance for travel to get him to and from various rugby league related programs, I have also noticed that if any kid that shows the slightest ability is kept under lock and key way before the age of 18, hence open trials, if that is how the club intend to fill the gap is realistically on open invitations to wannabes,

Simply put, Newtown cannot afford to offer all of that to ther SG Ball players and they won't be. The Roosters have players under scholarship that will play SG Ball for Newtown. Maybe they wil be treated like that kid you know but I'm not privy to Roosters contracts.

what I still cant come to grips with is how this team will be financed?
the club cut the Jim Beam side 2/3 years ago and we had the explanation that it cost too much! now the club is fielding a second team and from what i hear around the Eastern Suburbs, a player who left mid season is still at the club for money he is owed from his time served!

The team is being financed by sponsors, benefactors and revenue from junior rep match days. Comparing SG Ball to the Jim Beam Cup is chalk and cheese. St George spend on one junior rep side one-sixth of what we spend on a JBC side and we intend to follow that model. I would rather have a JBC side in but that is way too expensive. SG Ball is a mere fraction of the cost and we have been given the chance to run a second team.

one now can only imagine that the property deal that has been bandied around at the last 4/5 AGM's has finally come through and the board have decided to spend the money on an S G Ball side rather than have the real owners of the club, THE MEMBERS vote on what/where this money would be best served.

The SG Ball is not being financed by any property revenue. On your second point, members elect directors to make decisions on the day to day running of the club, including how it spends its money.

stumped

Juniors
Simply put, Newtown cannot afford to offer all of that to ther SG Ball players and they won't be. The Roosters have players under scholarship that will play SG Ball for Newtown. Maybe they wil be treated like that kid you know but I'm not privy to Roosters contracts.

The team is being financed by sponsors, benefactors and revenue from junior rep match days. Comparing SG Ball to the Jim Beam Cup is chalk and cheese. St George spend on one junior rep side one-sixth of what we spend on a JBC side and we intend to follow that model. I would rather have a JBC side in but that is way too expensive. SG Ball is a mere fraction of the cost and we have been given the chance to run a second team.

The SG Ball is not being financed by any property revenue. On your second point, members elect directors to make decisions on the day to day running of the club, including how it spends its money.

Bluebag

Juniors
Hello Jeffles,

How many players are the Roosters providing as you will need around 25 plus staff. Who is coaching the team, is it Habib? Newman?:lol: or buckets.

Will they start training when the State Cup team do?

It has been a long time since I was here, where is the cursed jet its too quiet here.

Red Bear

Referee
So can the junior jets now be classed as an easts junior club rather than souths? Would seem the logical thing to do.

Jeffles

Bench
They can't change classification Red Bear because they are in the Souths Juniors boundaries. Further, this has nothing to do with Newtown Juinior Jets. They are run separately.

You are mistaken, he is line for the Parra job on buckets recommendation.

Folkes is no chance.

stumped

Juniors
thanks for that mate, it seems you have a pretty good knowledge of how the club runs, I am sorry if I hit a nerve with how the board spend the funds, just answer if you can for me, I have only been a member for about 18 months yet failed to obtain any information on when the AGM was being held, I questioned the gentleman at the clubs office to be told " as far as I am concerned ALL members recieved the appropriate details" I accepted that very rude explination and thought maybe it was a simple oversight only to be informed by a fellow who tells me he supplies product for raffles he had also not recieved any details as to when the AGM was being held! is that how sponsors are treated?

Is the board a closed shop? as I have also been made aware a new member was voted on to the board at the last AGM, at no time did I see a list of aplicants who intended on standing for election on the board published? is this common practice? if so it seems very unusual to me

As for the board being elected to run the club on a day to day basis and spend the funds on how they see fit, why not pay the players so that the club does not have disgruntled ex-players speaking ill of it in public? why not pay back the Juniors the funds they supplied to purchase the vehicle to transport the senior clubs supplies to games, this info I overheard at the last game of the year at Henson Park and almost fell over to think a senior club with a licensed club backing them would need money from a junior club.

Mate I have never met you nor do I know who you are, I do not visit this site often and when I do I rarely comment as I do not know too much about the club or its history, I follow the Jets mainly from a distance and only really found out about Newtown through my current employment that has ties with Newtown to a certain degree.

I hope all goes well with the S G Ball team and the NSWRL cup team.

Jeffles

Bench
Noel Donohue was appointed to the board at the last AGM. The nominations did not have to be announced as there was no requirement to have an election. The rules under our Constitution are that an election is only held if there are more nominees than board spots. A call for nominations went out and this was not the case last time so anyone who nominates is automatically appointed. The board is not a closed shop. It's a very thankless task with few people raising their hand for it.

Members who have been members for three consecutive years and who renewed (or are deemed to have renewed) before July 31 in each of those years are entitled to vote at AGMs.

As far as ex-players and other creditors go, I'm not aware of any specific incidents you talk about. The transaction with the vehicle was a commercial arangement where the senior club was able to obtain finance for the vehicle from the junior club at a cheaper rate than they would have been able to obtain finance via financial institutions. I don't know the status of that.

Red Bear

Referee
They can't change classification Red Bear because they are in the Souths Juniors boundaries. Further, this has nothing to do with Newtown Juinior Jets. They are run separately.

Folkes is no chance.
Fair enough
altho i couldnt possibly the only person to notice how f**ked the boundrys are in that area in favour of souffs
Certainly nice to see you guys in the junior comp however.