What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JFH Golden Boot

Bob

Juniors

New Zealand and Penrith Panthers enforcer James Fisher-Harris takes out Golden Boot​

Penrith Panthers star James Fisher-Harris has added another trophy to an already brimming cabinet, being crowned international rugby league’s best player for 2023.

Dean Ritchie

@BulldogRitchie

less than 2 min read
December 6, 2023 - 10:30AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...2eceb612b991acbdcfce7afb7ec18?amp#share-tools

Penrith enforcer James Fisher-Harris laid down the challenge to Payne Haas at the grand final fan day.
New Zealand’s James Fisher-Harris has won the prestigious Golden Boot award.

Fisher-Harris, 27, received the gong from former Golden Boot winner Brad Fittler during an official announcement at NRL headquarters on Wednesday morning.
New Zealander Georgia Hale and France’s Jérémy Bourson created Golden Boot history after being chosen as the respective 2023 women’s and wheelchair winners.
In a hotly contested race, Fisher-Harris edged out shortlist candidates Payne Haas (Australia), Joseph Tapine (New Zealand) and Harry Smith (England).
Fisher-Harris played in all three of New Zealand’s Pacific Championships games, culminating in the Kiwis’ famous 30-0 win over Australia in the final.
The accolade caps a stunning year for Fisher-Harris, who was part of Penrith’s premiership-winning side.
A panel comprising Darren Lockyer, Adam Blair, James Graham, Adrian Morley and Ruben Wiki selected the winner.
James Fisher-Harris led the Kiwis to victory in the Pacific Championships. Picture: Fiona Goodall/Getty Images

James Fisher-Harris led the Kiwis to victory in the Pacific Championships. Picture: Fiona Goodall/Getty Images
The Golden Boot award is handed to the best international player of the year.
Haas was a strong candidate but missed Australia’s second Pacific Championships game in Melbourne, damaging his chances.
The shortlist of four was cut after 20 players were originally nominated.

More Coverage​

‘I’m not going to poach guys’: Ciraldo’s promise to Panthers ‘I’m not going to poach guys’: Ciraldo’s promise to Panthers
Previously, the Golden Boot was awarded to the best player in the game globally. In 2018, the rules were altered to add more weight to international football.
Before 2018, Golden Boot winners included Fittler, Brett Kenny, Wally Lewis, Peter Sterling, Garry Jack, Ellery Hanley, Mal Meninga, Andrew Johns, Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Benji Marshall, Andy Farrell, Cam Smith and Johnathan Thurston.
Hale is the first forward to win the women’s award while Bourson – France’s first Golden Boot recipient in any discipline of the game – are based in the Northern Hemisphere and were unable to attend.

Munky

Coach
Lockyer 2006 pretty good. Dally M and Golden Boot. Won the tri-nations, SOO and the grand final.

I thought Cam Smith got the Dally M in 06?

Cam Smith in 2017 won everything on offer but the CC which Billy Slater won.

The 2017 Melbourne team was scary.

Fangs

Coach
I thought Cam Smith got the Dally M in 06?

Cam Smith in 2017 won everything on offer but the CC which Billy Slater won.

The 2017 Melbourne team was scary.

Ya thats correct. It was actually five-eighth of the year.

MrBlack

Juniors
Well deserved

Every time I see those arms I wish I had committed to a gym, about 30 years ago

Bob

Juniors

New Zealand and Penrith Panthers enforcer James Fisher-Harris takes out Golden Boot​

James Fisher-Harris has just added a Golden Boot to his trophy cabinet. The Penrith Panthers star chats about his golden year and also how he deals with talking to the media.

Dean Ritchie

@BulldogRitchie

2 min read
December 6, 2023 - 1:48PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...2eceb612b991acbdcfce7afb7ec18?amp#share-tools

Penrith enforcer James Fisher-Harris laid down the challenge to Payne Haas at the grand final fan day.
He was named Golden Boot winner on Wednesday but New Zealand’s James Fisher-Harris has a golden rule – no “fancy” words, just keep it simple.

For someone who doubles as an on-field beast, Fisher-Harris is among the most unrestrained and reserved players in rugby league.
Almost uncomfortable in media interviews, Fisher-Harris revels on-field with an old-school determination that drove Penrith to a third successive title this year and then New Zealand to a famous Pacific Championships triumph.
“I don’t have to talk all fancy,” he said. “I feel like in the early stages I had to be someone else and talk like other people but now I’m just me being me, bro.
“That’s when I’m at peace.
“On the field I’m a competitor going for it and ready for anything. Off the field, I’m just someone who goes about his business and is a family man.
James Fisher-Harris leaves it all out on the field. Picture: Jeremy Piper

“I keep it simple. It’s ingrained in me. I’m not too loud on the field ether. I‘m mainly too tired. I’m sort of getting used to (media interviews) now.”
Fisher-Harris, 27, received the award from former Golden Boot winner Brad Fittler during an official announcement at NRL headquarters.
New Zealander Georgia Hale and France’s Jeremy Bourson created Golden Boot history after being chosen as the respective 2023 women’s and wheelchair winners.
In a hotly contested race, Fisher-Harris edged out short list candidates Payne Haas (Australia), Joseph Tapine (New Zealand) and Harry Smith (England).
Fisher-Harris played in all three of New Zealand’s Pacific Championships games, culminating in the Kiwis’ 30-0 win over Australia in the final.
“It’s pretty crazy, pretty cool,” Fisher-Harris said. “It’s a special moment and I will look back on it one day and I will still be buzzing. I don’t know what to say.
“I try to stay in the present so I’m enjoying this moment.”
A panel comprising Darren Lockyer, Adam Blair, James Graham, Adrian Morley and Ruben Wiki selected the winner.
Fisher-Harris with the golden boot. Picture: NRL Imagery

The Golden Boot award is handed to the best international player of the year.
Haas was a strong candidate but missed Australia’s second Pacific Championships game in Melbourne, damaging his chances.
The short list of four was cut after 20 players were originally nominated.

Previously, the Golden Boot was awarded to the best player in the game globally however the criteria was altered in 2018 to add more weight to international football.
Before 2018, Golden Boot winners included Fittler, Brett Kenny, Wally Lewis, Peter Sterling, Garry Jack, Ellery Hanley, Mal Meninga, Andrew Johns, Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Benji Marshall, Andy Farrell, Cam Smith and Johnathan Thurston.
Hale is the first forward to win the women’s award while Bourson - France’s first Golden Boot recipient in any discipline of the game – are based in the Northern Hemisphere and were unable to attend.