What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jharal Yow Yeh interview

Big Pete

Referee
Nah, Kurt made his return against Wynnum a couple of weeks ago.

No official word but I'm with unBreak. He's always a good chance of playing so definitely keep an eye out! Especially since the game leads into the Broncos/Warriors game.

Jason Simmons

Juniors
Yow Yeh played for Norths today. He ran hard a few times in the centres, moved laterally okay a few times, but seems like he can't accelerate at full power and limps a lot when he doesn't have to run.

Once he's running at speed he seems okay, but he takes a while to get up to speed and walks/limps a lot in back play when he's not involved, doesn't really chase kicks and basically only runs when he gets the ball.

Still good signs considering the nature of his injury, but in reality he is looking very far away from returning to NRL.

Dazzat

First Grade
Yow Yeh played for Norths today. He ran hard a few times in the centres, moved laterally okay a few times, but seems like he can't accelerate at full power and limps a lot when he doesn't have to run.

Once he's running at speed he seems okay, but he takes a while to get up to speed and walks/limps a lot in back play when he's not involved, doesn't really chase kicks and basically only runs when he gets the ball.

Still good signs considering the nature of his injury, but in reality he is looking very far away from returning to NRL.

Round one 2014 would be great for his comeback.

Bretto

Bench
Man. Just watching some Yow Yeh highlights on Youtube. f**k me dead that kid was incredible. He was that real X factor we're missing.

Really wish you well, Jharal.

AceAv

Juniors
He'll be back and better than ever. God he was incredible. Big hits, amazing footwork, ball handling like a god and blistering acceleration.

Come back to us YY

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Yow Yeh had a great QLD cup game imo, all things considered. You can see he was purposefully holding back when not required, but fully committed himself when required. He had a very nice step and run early in the second half, then shortly after made two quality tackles in a row and also put on a couple of big hits. Overall I was pretty happy.

I guess we will see round 1 2014. I can't imagine that too much more physical healing is going to happen after that point, so hopefully it pulls up well enough for him to return somewhere near his best.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Plenty of Kurt Baptiste though!

Baptiste > McCullough - In every way

I agree, almost. I think McCullough has a better long kicking game and slightly better defence. But overall Baptiste is a much better hooker imo, I can't see him hanging around too much longer (if he hasn't already gone!)...

broncos2010

Juniors
He is playing qld cup on the wing for the last month or two now surely he is fit enough to play in first grade by now?

Even a 50% fit Yow Yeh is better then the Maranta :oops:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
He has suffered one of the most horrific leg injuries in Rugby League of all time. That's why he is not back in first grade yet...

There will still be some physical healing happening (physical healing stops happening after about 2 years). After 2 years it will basically be as good as it's going to get, so at that time he should re-assess whether or not it comes up good enough to play at the highest level again. But, perhaps even more significant, is the mental affect this will have on him. So that adds even more time. So I think Round 1 2014 is the time for him to come back, if he decides he is able to.

p.s. Yow Yeh was being playing centre, not wing in QLD cup.
p.p.s. Yow Yeh didn't even play on the weekend. Anyone know why??

Kiwi

First Grade
I am over the moon the Broncos are not rushing this. The way the club is treating him during this time will see him never play against us. Let him get right physically and mentally before throwing him back into top grade. He still has plenty of time left in his career, no need to rush things

unbreaK

Juniors
You're probably right in the sense that a 50% Yow Yeh > Maranta, but it's not worth the risk of him coming back too early and either re-injuring it, or just not being the same player because of lack of confidence.

If I was to make an estimate based on his form before he got injured, % wise, it would be this.

Jharal Yow Yeh before injury - 100%
Jharal Yow Yeh right now - 60%
Jharal Yow Yeh round 1 2014 - 80%

Who knows if he'll ever be AS good as he was, but I think it's best to give him a full off-season / pre-season of training / recovering.

Dazzat

First Grade
George Rose steaming onto a Hodges pass on the right wing would be better than Maranta.

My guess is Yow Yeh's injury is a case of two steps forward, one back. The process of strengthening the ankle will inevitably bring pain, followed by rest, followed by more strengthening work.

He may have been rested on the weekend as part of this process.

AceAv

Juniors
Didn't we cover ALL this in the other Yow Yeh thread? - I know u love making new posts broncos but can they be more original.

EDIT
-Thanks for Merging BP ;)

Last edited:

Jason Simmons

Juniors
He is playing qld cup on the wing for the last month or two now surely he is fit enough to play in first grade by now?

Even a 50% fit Yow Yeh is better then the Maranta :oops:

Dunno if you've seen any of his Qld Cup games, but he isn't ready for NRL (and as someone else said, he's been playing centre, after his first game back in the second row).

He still can't accelerate properly. He runs at a fair clip (in a straight line) once he's going, but he has no explosive off the mark acceleration capability. Don't know how much this injury will cost him overall, but he has virtually none at the moment. He basically just jogs and slowly increases his speed and limps quite a bit after some of these runs.

He can't move laterally properly. He can't move laterally at speed from what I've seen and he basically just does back and forth all game, when he passes the ball he does so without really moving sideways. Likewise with tackling. His inside men come across to him, not really vice versa.

He can't jump by the look of him.

I last saw him play I think about 2 weeks ago and above is how he was then. He is nowhere near ready for an NRL comeback, much as I'd love to see it...