What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joe Lovodua

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I am sure he has been promoted to either the top squad of 30 or as a development player or similar?. Samy..over to you!

He still only part of the development
squad and is only till the end 2019.
Re the rules as far as I know he can only play in the NRL if there is a year ending injury to one of the top 30.
We only have 28 at this stage.
So still room to put him in the top 30 if they think he is needed. That is my understanding of the rules

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Dragonslayer
I dont think there changed .
But will check and let you know.

Hey @dragonssamy61
Samy while you're checking on Joe could you also do some digging on Aitkin.
Is he back in training in the first group? If not then i suspect his injuries are more than whats been reported seeing he hasnt played since August/eary Sept, so i would have thought he'd be one of the first back.

Cheers champ.....i hope your rehab is coming along well.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Hey @dragonssamy61
Samy while you're checking on Joe could you also do some digging on Aitkin.
Is he back in training in the first group? If not then i suspect his injuries are more than whats been reported seeing he hasnt played since August/eary Sept, so i would have thought he'd be one of the first back.

Cheers champ.....i hope your rehab is coming along well.

Dragonslayer
He not due back yet but would need to be cleared before he could do full training.
So want no for a week or two.
But will let you know

BLM01

First Grade
He still only part of the development
squad and is only till the end 2019.
Re the rules as far as I know he can only play in the NRL if there is a year ending injury to one of the top 30.
We only have 28 at this stage.
So still room to put him in the top 30 if they think he is needed. That is my understanding of the rules
Ta Samy..but as I said before I think the promotion I was thinking of, is to train with the 1st grade not just ISP as some still do like Sironen, Jack Payne etc etc, so as to get a good look and a chance to be promoted / selected as he said

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Ta Samy..but as I said before I think the promotion I was thinking of, is to train with the 1st grade not just ISP as some still do like Sironen, Jack Payne etc etc, so as to get a good look and a chance to be promoted / selected as he said

BLM
You are correct they train with nrl squad.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
To play 1st grade you have to be part of the top 30. That was my original point.
With 2 spots to fill maybe now sone of these DS players have been put on notice that they "could" be promoted given their pre-season and trials and maybe even the first few rounds.
I dont see us rushing to fill the vacant 2 spots now that Hayne has crashed and burned.
Very unusual for them to trot out a DS player to front an interview.

possm

Coach
Speaking of Jack Payne he is off to the Mounties. Good kid from Bargo, good player and half...but his body just to slender and his thinking a bit slow to cope at NRL level yet..Good luck to him

I think our pathways officials should be more discerning when it comes to slightly built players ear-marked for playing grade. SGI seem to have brought through a number of them in recent years.

How about just seeking out some big fast players from NZ south island or from the Pacific Islands and handing them scholarships which cover two years high school and tow years trade school or uni. Make it a sponsored program funded by WIN TV.

BLM01

First Grade
I think our pathways officials should be more discerning when it comes to slightly built players ear-marked for playing grade. SGI seem to have brought through a number of them in recent years.

How about just seeking out some big fast players from NZ south island or from the Pacific Islands and handing them scholarships which cover two years high school and tow years trade school or uni. Make it a sponsored program funded by WIN TV.
I disagree, you need some locals for lower grades and he was never earmarked for 1st grade anyway as was never given opportunity to train etc as was watched through lower grades and they knew he would not quite get there..But its ridiculous that you have to go overseas to find Islander type players to suit todays game....how did it get to this. Not to be racist but what about Juniors from all our local areas.

But lets face it good smart halves as genuine footballers are a dying breed as slowing the ruck, non risk attack and bash and barge starts at Junior level.
If not fixed soon we will have hardly a real genuine half in the game anymore in about 20 years as it will be coached out of players DNA.
Look at NRL we have not got 32 real genuine decent halves playing at the elite level. already some are makeshift stop gaps or getting old like Benji..as soon as one is on the market, its a circus fuelled by player manager & media and clubs paying overs to get the deal done cause of the shortage

jak

Bench
I disagree, you need some locals for lower grades and he was never earmarked for 1st grade anyway as was never given opportunity to train etc as was watched through lower grades and they knew he would not quite get there..But its ridiculous that you have to go overseas to find Islander type players to suit todays game....how did it get to this. Not to be racist but what about Juniors from all our local areas.

But lets face it good smart halves as genuine footballers are a dying breed as slowing the ruck, non risk attack and bash and barge starts at Junior level.
If not fixed soon we will have hardly a real genuine half in the game anymore in about 20 years as it will be coached out of players DNA.
Look at NRL we have not got 32 real genuine decent halves playing at the elite level. already some are makeshift stop gaps or getting old like Benji..as soon as one is on the market, its a circus fuelled by player manager & media and clubs paying overs to get the deal done cause of the shortage
100% correct well said