What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joe Williams

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Look first off let me say i am a cowboys fan.

That said I happend to tune into the panthers v broncos game yesterday.

I couldn't help but notice that joe williams played, how shall i say it, well below the standards expected of a 1st grade halfback. Whose bright idea was it to recruit this guy and who else was in the market at the time ? Are there any juniors coming through to get this guy back in park footy where he belongs ?

I know it was the first game of the season and hope he gets better next week.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
From memory, it was a lifeline thrown to him. Was not a big signing at all. He is on very small money and it was last minute.

The problem is even though he was a last minute signing the coaching staff consider him the best 7 at Penrith.

I imagine many Penrith supporters are saying "Bring back Gowie"

*Sandy*

First Grade
I would really like to see Sammut in the No.7 and running the show. This boy oozes with a confident winning attitude. You just have to look at his past.

I believe it was hard for Sammut yesterday. He didnt see much quality ball at all.

Big Mick

Referee
agreed

I reckon give 6. Tighe, 7. Sammut a go. They were the only two really giving it a go aside from Petero and Rooney all day.

Wesser is on his last legs...Lachlan Coote was amazing yesterday...as were the two wingers...and with Gordon coming back and Rooney back in form, along with Sammut and Jenning's desire to play fullback, I fear that this is the end for Wess.

T.Puletua, Wesser, Worth, Pritchard are surely on their last legs at the club..

Micky u summed it up something ive been telling people for a while and nobody wants to hear it im afraid wesser has got to go he was devastaing a few yrs ago but he has lost the touch and speed and the desire to pass the ball as proven last weekend.

Big T i think has a yr or 2 left maybe with petro here he may gain some of those runs he use to make, worth well i think he will be gone come season end up has he really been given a chance to shine???

As for pritchard the guy spoke up said he was playing for peanuts mate he deserves peanuts coz well on recent outing his been playing with them rattling around in his head.

Penrith need an overhaul im afraid and just in case anyone cares with that overhaul that includes management and coach.

maple_69

Bench
Well at first look the side looks alright. Problem being halfback, no one organising everything (which I might add is quite important with Matt Elliotts style of play).
But that doesn't explain why we just gave up after halftime.

If not a clean out, it wouldn't hurt to get some guys like Mckendry, Leeds and Theo up in first grade replacing TP, Peanuts and Smith.

Kilkenny

Coach
Frank Pritchard is only in year two of a four year deal worth $270K a season.

On form, we are stuck with him because clearly he has done nothing to suggest he is worth the sort of money he is currenly being paid. Not even the Sea Eagles would take him off our hands at his current contract.

Frank is a real enigma. So much talent and ability but ..................I dont know what it is about him.

haha MAPlE dont joke around its hurts to laugh Eliott has no style of play to start with really come om.

Williams is a good player i dont get why everyone is jumping up and down about him after his first real hit out with the club.

Do we all expect him to play perfectly with the rest of the guys in his first game for us give the kid a break.

By the end of the season i promise you this thread will be forgotten about and williams will be thought of as a great replacemnt.

Raging Rabbit

juniors
110kgpantherpower said:
haha MAPlE dont joke around its hurts to laugh Eliott has no style of play to start with really come om.

Williams is a good player i dont get why everyone is jumping up and down about him after his first real hit out with the club.

Do we all expect him to play perfectly with the rest of the guys in his first game for us give the kid a break.

By the end of the season i promise you this thread will be forgotten about and williams will be thought of as a great replacemnt.

I'm a Souths supporter.

You have just put your nuts on the line.

You will be running in a paddock with other geldings come seasons end. :lol:

dragonfly

Bench
most poor halfback performances are on the back of poor performances from the forwards. I reckon this is one of them cases. Joe is a confidence guy and deserves one more crack. Do need to say though that he impressed me more at souths wearing the 6.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
dragonfly said:
most poor halfback performances are on the back of poor performances from the forwards. I reckon this is one of them cases. Joe is a confidence guy and deserves one more crack. Do need to say though that he impressed me more at souths wearing the 6.

Joey Williams is nice guy. He tires hard. He is not an orginiser. He needs to play inside an organising 5-8, like Fittler etc.

He will never be as good as wALLACE. Wallace will prove to be worth what he was asking for

Raging Rabbit said:
I'm a Souths supporter.

You have just put your nuts on the line.

You will be running in a paddock with other geldings come seasons end. :lol:

The fact that you just admitted publicly to being a souths fan no doubt means you will be joining me in the paddock or are you perhaps already there waiting for more to join you.

April im sorry to say this if your a wallace fan but the guy aint worth two 5cent coins rubbed together.

He looks good at the moment sure but who wouldnt look good playing next to lockyer.

Williams will blossom if given the chance though will sammut in such good form that may take some time.

Magpie Nick

Juniors
APRIL BELLE said:
Joey Williams is nice guy. He tires hard. He is not an orginiser. He needs to play inside an organising 5-8, like Fittler etc.

He will never be as good as wALLACE. Wallace will prove to be worth what he was asking for

Williams needs to be given time in First Grade regardless of his performances like Soward and Chase were just granted. Players, particularly Halves that rely heavily on confidence, always respond favourably to being told their spot is secure.

Penrith Forwards, minus Civoniceva, need a rocket up their arse. If they play sh*t then they should be dropped completely, not just to the bench for a week and then brought into the starting side when the starters are dropped to the bench.

If Penrith's Forwards get their sh*t together then Williams will start to perform, it happened with Souths last year when they got a Forward pack. It wasn't just coincidence that Souths scored something like ten points less a game without Williams.

Godz Illa

Coach
But seriously what has Richie Williams been up to? Always had a soft spot for him. Any good? Chance of a recall?

Big Mick

Referee
IMO Souths did well when joe Williams was at five-eight.

That way it took the pressure of playmaking off his shoulders and he had space to move..

IMO Joe Williams isn't a leader or a talker, he needs to be at five-eight.

6. Joe Williams
7. Jarrod Sammut

That is what i'd like to try, with Williams and Sammut kicking options and Williams not having the pressure of being primary playmaker. I think that is best.

choc_soldier

Coach
Godz Illa said:
But seriously what has Richie Williams been up to? Always had a soft spot for him. Any good? Chance of a recall?

Playing fullback for Windsor.

Not sure how he's gone.

Reggie Priest

Juniors
With weak forwards the halfback doesnt stand a chance - put a rocket up those lazy sons of.............put Sammut to fullback, Wesser on the wing and give Joe a fair go at halback he helped Souths into the semis last year with plenty of try assists.

GO JOE

Fibroman

First Grade
Sammut kicked ok the other night, but he had trouble detting distance and height on some kicks and we had a very poor chase based on the back of those kicks. I;d like to see either joey or richie williams in the halves for their kicking games.