What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Monaghan signs for Warrington Wolves

The Punisher

Juniors
Signed today for Warrington to play along side his brother, also replacing another former NRL winger Chris Hicks. Apparantly he has been training the house down and its forced Warrington coach Tony Smith to beat off a host of superleague clubs to his signature. He better develop a thick skin as he's going to get bags of abuse from the stands here in England. I for one can't wait for see him here at Warrington as he adds even more strike power to an already impressive backline.

Lang Park

Juniors
you would think joel would tend to stay away from anything to do with canines atm! wolves:lol:

Good on him , hope he does well.

Suprised it was only a one year deal , maybe he is looking to come back to the NRL after that.

WireMan

Bench
Good on him , hope he does well.

Suprised it was only a one year deal , maybe he is looking to come back to the NRL after that.

Maybe, but Hicks would not be on that much so maybe he gets a one year contract to see if he can handle the abuse/game. King is off contract after that so frees up some cap space to up his pay.

As for the abuse, he will get enough from Warrington fans never mind every one else. :) If he scores as many Hicks though, he'll be alright.

Anyway, down to serious questions, is he actually any good? Is he a better winger or centre? What are his strengths and weaknesses and how does he compare to other Aussies over here, in particular King?

Maybe, but Hicks would not be on that much so maybe he gets a one year contract to see if he can handle the abuse/game. King is off contract after that so frees up some cap space to up his pay.

As for the abuse, he will get enough from Warrington fans never mind every one else. :) If he scores as many Hicks though, he'll be alright.

Anyway, down to serious questions, is he actually any good? Is he a better winger or centre? What are his strengths and weaknesses and how does he compare to other Aussies over here, in particular King?

He is an Australian and NSW rep player , he has a wealth of experience which is what we will miss. I rate him a better winger than centre , Id also rate him better than what Hicks could ever be ( thats going off Hicks in the NRL ). I cant think who I could compare him too. He is big, and a good defender, he is not a speedster but has a suprising turn of pace. If that makes sense.

Too often he was used as Bombaghan ( bomb for his wing ) , this was our downfall a few years ago.

He will do well in the ESL

WireMan

Bench
He is an Australian and NSW rep player , he has a wealth of experience which is what we will miss. I rate him a better winger than centre , Id also rate him better than what Hicks could ever be ( thats going off Hicks in the NRL ). I cant think who I could compare him too. He is big, and a good defender, he is not a speedster but has a suprising turn of pace. If that makes sense.

Too often he was used as Bombaghan ( bomb for his wing ) , this was our downfall a few years ago.

He will do well in the ESL

He sounds a lot like King actually, so if he can adapt then it will be a good signing for us.

Thanks for the info.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Not as imposing as I remember King to be.

Very good player but not a strike weapon. Expect him to do most things well without any fuss.

Latest posts