What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Thompson Announcement

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Thompson rumour has resurfaced again.
Michael Chammas from NRL.com reporting he has signed with Manly on a two year deal, announcement expected as soon as today.

denis preston

First Grade
Wow ! Gotta like Millwards frankness. Plenty of backrowers now looking for a outside back.What about that bloke from England ? What a sensation he would make ! Get it done Basil !

Bench
WTF. First he was going, then he was staying and now he has gone.
I hope Millward had something up his sleeve with this.
Thompson has to do what is best for him so he moves on.
I wish him all the best with his new club.

Smirrors

Juniors
MrDragon007's record of fail continues

Well well well...

JT is solid, would have been good to see him with solid half pairing and stability. Hoping they have a replacement in mind as he would have been handy for 2018. Sure a junior could take his place but tough nuts/mongrel is not something you learn in your first few years in footy.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Well this was a rollercoaster, but at the end of the day i'm not too upset with it.

Joel is 29 and was looking to secure his future, even though two years isn't really a contract that will see him through to the end of his career. Looks like it was a money thing in the end, in which case I am glad that Millward stood strong and didn't offer him a bigger contract. We would have probably seen Leilua and Host walk out the door otherwise. Smart locking Luch up as well.

Joel was solid without being amazing. It's time to look to our youth and we have plenty of depth in the back-rower department. Leilua could be a potential game-breaker and Host is an exciting prospect. It makes sense in the end.

Smirrors

Juniors
I hope Millward had something up his sleeve with this.
Thompson has to do what is best for him so he moves on.
I wish him all the best with his new club.

Looks like a Blake Green situation. There might be nothing other than doing right by a player. Unlikely to be retained beyond 2018 and Manly need a body for their forward pack.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Well this was a rollercoaster, but at the end of the day i'm not too upset with it.

Joel is 29 and was looking to secure his future, even though two years isn't really a contract that will see him through to the end of his career. Looks like it was a money thing in the end, in which case I am glad that Millward stood strong and didn't offer him a bigger contract. We would have probably seen Leilua and Host walk out the door otherwise. Smart locking Luch up as well.

Joel was solid without being amazing. It's time to look to our youth and we have plenty of depth in the back-rower department. Leilua could be a potential game-breaker and Host is an exciting prospect. It makes sense in the end.
well said

SEAT 1A

Bench
Just got word back that the T's are getting crossed and the I's are getting dotted on Thompos deal with another club.
Announcement to be made before the end of next week, it wont be dragging out any longer then that.
Very reliable source and he is 100% certain Thomos departure is a done deal.
Before the end of next week it will be announced.

Good call MrDragon007.

Spewing big time though. Thompson is one of the elite footballers in the comp, he gets it done and every team needs a Thomo.

Sad day for the Dragons however, he is all class, loves the Dragons and well done by the club.

i won't lose sleep over his departure, we have plenty of depth in the backrow. this makes things more interesting, who will start? Leluia will now get that bench spot you would think
Sims is a ready made replacement and finished the year very strong in an underperforming outfit.
He is a beast and adds some real intimidation compared to Thompson who is more a work horse.
May work out very well.
Clears a bench spot for one of the young guys. Host, Leilua and Sele.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Suprised yes, disappointed no.
I think this really opens a door that was somewhat closed off not only for 2018 but beyond that.
Host would be the logical choice or would it be Sims? In any case Leilua should prepare himself for a bench role next year.
I just hope McGregor doesnt fall back to the "game veteran" excuse and pump for Allgood or Latimore, that would be a disaster of McCrone proportions.
As for Millward stating an outside back, its more interesting to examine what position needs "bolstering". Obviously BJ Leilua's name will get thrown in as a centre who seems unhapoy at the Raiders, and lets face it we havent signed anyone from our "feeder" club this off-season. However, I'd be more interested in chasing one of those Pommy backs from the world cup, especially the guy who played centre (name escapes me atm) hes a talent.
Anyway good luck to Thommo and thanks for all your efforts with the Red V.

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
I think this is the right decision for all concerned.
I like Thompson but even with him going we have a very well balanced back row.
Possibly 1 front rower short but think you will see Lawrie come along leaps and bounds under the tutelage of Graham.
If we could score a decent outside back that would be even better.