What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Grants thoughts on expansion

Goddo

Bench
Decision will hinge on TV rights, and which locations bring the best financial return - something some here have been in denial about for years.

Perhaps the most interesting insights into the commission's plans for the game revolve around expansion, an issue inextricably linked to the ongoing broadcast-rights deal negotiations.

''We thank for your interest. But I wouldn't spend any more money if I were them yet,'' was Grant's message to prospective franchises. ''There's consideration now about the number of teams that will now form discussions with the broadcasters. Wait and see. I can't be more specific than that. If something firm did come out about the benefit of extra games in the broadcast discussions, we would need to make the decisions with the broadcasters about where they can extract value.

''That would start to narrow locations for teams …

''At the conclusion of [negotiations] there will be clarity around expansion choices for the game.''

Prospective franchises were hoping to enter the competition next year although 2015 appears more realistic. Grant said: ''We haven't formed a view on that … The simple bottom line is if we can't get an uplift in broadcast rights for extra games, why would we do it when we've got all the other issues to deal with … existing clubs?''

The commission is in negotiations with the Seven and Ten networks after incumbent rights holders Nine and Fox Sports tabled their first offers. Grant said the initial discussions had centred around a competition comprising eight games a week, although this would change as talks progress. ''I'm also not going to say that we're not going to expand the number of teams over a period of time,'' Grant said. ''But we've got to remember there was never any soliciting of this from the game's point of view, but we welcome it … It would be very difficult for us to sit here and contemplate expansion if we had no expressions of interest to deal with.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-for-league-20120526-1zbou.html#ixzz1w1pMXFI1

Any comment Red&blackbear? You were very vocal in denying that location and TV rights would be determining factors over the last 2-3 years.

gyallop

Juniors
is that the sound of the grim reaper knocking on the doors of CC and CQ.

Western Corridor and Perth seem odds on if the call is to expand.

Goddo

Bench
is that the sound of the grim reaper knocking on the doors of CC and CQ.

Western Corridor and Perth seem odds on if the call is to expand.
Well, we know already that South East Qld is pretty much a lock for a spot - as Grant said, discussions with broadcasters has narrowed the field.

CQ - you are right, no hope.

CC - maybe you are right... they are still a chance though. Apparently the commission is keen about Perth, but TV is luke warm on it.

Decision will hinge on TV rights, and which locations bring the best financial return - something some here have been in denial about for years.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-for-league-20120526-1zbou.html#ixzz1w1pMXFI1

Any comment Red&blackbear? You were very vocal in denying that location and TV rights would be determining factors over the last 2-3 years.

They will be talking to the broadcasters, doesn't mean that it will be the broadcasters decision which will alone be the defining factor in expansion, where and when.

And if it is, then I expect you to change your alligiances to a new seqld team, where you will be the number one supporter and fan. After all, there's going to be a need for real fans since at the moment imaginary ones doesn't count and since you can't stop beating your drum about it then why not jump ship?

After all is said and done, we have done all we can and have a great bid in place. Whether you think it's good or not is irrelevant, we've got the support and resources to be successful.

RedVee

First Grade
It could be that TV says give us an extra game and an extra Brisbane/SEQ club. Rather than saying, Bris & Perth.
That would leave the choice of the second location to the ARLC.

Speculation only, and I think it'll be a while for any hard news on this.

Goddo

Bench
They will be talking to the broadcasters, doesn't mean that it will be the broadcasters decision which will alone be the defining factor in expansion, where and when.

And if it is, then I expect you to change your alligiances to a new seqld team, where you will be the number one supporter and fan. After all, there's going to be a need for real fans since at the moment imaginary ones doesn't count and since you can't stop beating your drum about it then why not jump ship?

After all is said and done, we have done all we can and have a great bid in place. Whether you think it's good or not is irrelevant, we've got the support and resources to be successful.
So you accept that all that stuff you said 2 years ago about TV rights and location not mattering was absolute BS?

Thats all I'd like to hear.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A few interesting things about that article:

1. Looks like if they expand they will pick the places not call for open bids from anywhere
2. How can the AFL claim their expansion was worth $150mill for two teams no one wants to watch yet NRL be unsure if it will add value?
3. They are now covering their backsides in case of no expansion, however go back over the last 3 years and there is plenty of statements from Gallop about expansion that whilst not guaranteeing it certainly led people to believe it would happen.
4. The game is set to get over a $billion, doubling its income, it can afford to expand if it wants to. We need a future strategy for where the game wants to be and make it happen with our new found riches.

Looks increasingly like WA and Brisbane2.