What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Sattler

callmack1

Staff member
From Nine,

Scott Sattler's emotional revelation

An emotional Scott Sattler has revealed he's "learned a lot of things" about his legendary dad while mourning his death this week.

Scott opened up on his tough week in a chat with Nine's panel after the Eels' win against the Panthers.
"Even when he did his biography a few years ago — there were still a few things that started to emerge that I didn't realise," Scott said.

"Then I saw some photos I had never seen. I thought I'd seen all the photos.

"It's been great reflecting back on not only him as a person but his career, as well — the great players he played with, the great team he played in at South Sydney.

"Just the photos of him and his teammates ... There are still a few of them around and a lot of them have passed also.
"Just to see those photos and those great tributes — it just reaffirmed to me that he was part of a very special group of players and a great club of course. He was a tremendous leader, as well.

"He didn't start playing rugby league unto; he was 16 years of age, so he had a late introduction to the game.
"And to find so much success and reflect on that and see those videos throughout the week — it's been overwhelming."

There’s been a lot of mention of him around the forum this week.

A fight even erupted on the sgi forum as someone said that they wished their players had Satts fight and will to win.

Tis a high honour to have Saints fans paying tribute as their corridors also drip with the blood of glory.

They are amongst the most passionate of all fans.

It was a fracas and a half. I tried to settle it down.

Influence he deserves, a genuine immortal.

I think Satts would be smiling and laughing about it.

He never asked for greatness, never sought the limelight!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal

The jersey worn by South Sydney skipper Cameron Murray in last weekend’s emotional, golden-point win over Manly will be draped over the coffin of John Sattler during the Rabbitohs icon’s funeral on Friday.
The funeral for Sattler, one of the club’s most revered figures, will be held at the Sacred Heart Church on the Gold Coast. Despite playing against Melbourne in Sydney later that day, coach Jason Demetriou, assistant Sam Burgess and a raft of officials including chief executive Blake Solly and football manager Mark Ellison plan to attend to pay their respects.

Souths legends Bobby McCarthy and Ron Coote will join family members as pallbearers, while Sattler’s teammates Elwyn Walters and Bob Honan will form part of the procession.

While playing commitments will preclude current Rabbitohs players from attending, Murray has gifted his No.13 jersey, which will be slung over the coffin during the service. Sattler’s son, Scott, said the touching gesture would always be remembered.

“The thought around the jersey, Cameron Murray was named as captain as a 24-year-old, just like dad was,” Scott Sattler said.

“And then he’s wearing the No.13 jersey as well. If it was another scenario, it might not have been thought of, but there are planets aligning to say it’s a great touch. There are a lot of similarities.

“Sam Burgess also, in 2014 wearing jersey No.13, with him coming up for the funeral, it just makes a lot of sense. The club meant so much to dad, so to have the jersey draped on his coffin is so special, especially being jersey No.13.”

Murray played all 82 minutes of the win over the Sea Eagles in the middle of the field, topping the tackle count with 57 while still finding the energy to make 19 runs for 124 metres. Scott Sattler said he was grateful the NSW and Australian star had made the jersey available.

“It just speaks volumes about the guy, how much he loves the club,” Scott Sattler said. “The way he handled last week for a young man [was incredible]. Cam as a young man, captain of the oldest club in history, it speaks highly of not only him but his family and how he has been raised. He’s a tremendous young man.

“For him to be thoughtful enough to donate that jersey, it’s pretty special. It’s hard to find words for it because rugby league just keeps finding ways to go above and beyond.”

The Sattler family, Souths officials and City of Sydney Council are in talks to stage a memorial at the club’s spiritual home of Redfern Oval.
“He always wanted some of his ashes spread on anything to do with South Sydney,” Scott Sattler said. “Even if it’s a community situation where the club wants to get the fans involved for people who live in Sydney and can’t travel but still want to say their goodbyes.
“I’m also mindful not to drag it on as well, everyone has to get on with their lives.”

The Rabbitohs gave Sattler a fitting farewell during last Saturday’s match, which included a minute’s applause and the home side wearing the “half-rabbit” emblem he made famous during his 1970 grand final heroics. Murray’s team made it a night to remember for the Sattlers with a thrilling extra-time victory.

“Saturday night at the game was very therapeutic and cathartic as a family,” Scott Sattler said. “The club has done more than enough for him and the family. What Mark Ellison, Blake Solly, Jason Demetriou, the ping group and everyone collectively have been able to do has been amazing.
“I also have to show great gratitude that we were lucky enough to have the best years of him. I was very fortunate to have him as a dad and he lived two lifetimes with what he was able to squeeze into it.”

A great Honour for Cam to have his jersey draped over the coffin. Very moving gesture.

The club has moved heaven and earth to honour him.

Everything is where it should be, you should be very proud about how it’s all been dealt with.

As happens, over the time, the game itself claims these club icons as it’s own.

But it can’t quite claim Satts because he took the game on during the expulsion and he and the band of brothers and sisters won.

He’s Souths forever.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
A great Honour for Cam to have his jersey draped over the coffin. Very moving gesture.

The club has moved heaven and earth to honour him.

Everything is where it should be, you should be very proud about how it’s all been dealt with.

As happens, over the time, the game itself claims these club icons as it’s own.

But it can’t quite claim Satts because he took the game on during the expulsion and he and the band of brothers and sisters won.

He’s Souths forever.
Well said mate, couldn't agree more.

John Sattler Memorial: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/21/john-sattler-memorial/

Gallery - John Sattler Redfern Memorial: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/21/gallery-john-sattler-memorial/

It's stuff like this that makes me proud to be a Rabbitoh. Very special stuff.

Good as a Tigers fan to watch as well.

He saved that man’s life that day and he could have easily been killed himself doing so. He didn’t know when the next train was coming.

I’d think a class on Satts and his values would be a good thing to introduce to all schools in rugby league playing states and provinces in year 6.

The sun will never set on the likes of John Sattler.

The game is so full of half wits and con artists these days, this was a reminder of the days of giants. We will never see them again.

To be honest, you could sweep aside all his deeds on the field and you'd still up with a very fine person.

And when all is said and done, in the life, I think that's probably more important.

Latest posts