What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Sutton Retirement

callmack1

Staff member
John Sutton to Retire at Season's End: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/14/john-sutton-announces-retirement/

John Sutton Retirement Press Conference: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/08/14/john-sutton-retirement-press-conference/

Rabbitohs icon John Sutton to retire at the end of 2019: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...con-john-sutton-to-retire-at-the-end-of-2019/

Well it's official. After sixteen Season's and over 300 games in the Red and Green, our hero will retire. Not unexpected but still very, very emotional. I friggin love Sutto! Mixed emotions because on the one hand, it's a massive celebration but at the same time, it's super emotional. Will pay tribute to him later on but for now I just need a moment. What a friggin legend!!

I think he hung about with you blokes despite some very tough seasons.

He had a very keen step in his early days. He was slinky and then he piled on the muscle. I think he started as as outside back and then to 5/8. Played under a few coaches.

He moved to the forwards but he never quite lost his passing and flight in the game. He is still dangerous.

He can still kick, he is that rare species of attacking forward.

Had some trouble overseas. Just a lad thing.

But he always he had the belief in the club in him that your club was more important than payola.

He never threatened to spit the dummy and betray you for gold and silver when he probably had every single other club in the league after him and you couldn’t win a game....for years.

And he’s been consistently good over the vast majority of his years. Rarely had a bad game. I can’t remember one myself.

It must be sad in some ways, but very few players will be as remembered, beloved and respected...for as long as your club exists.

For the rest of his life, the sun will shine every day for John Sutton.

And so it should. He’s been awesome for you.

As responsible for 2014 than any other player in that outstanding squad.

Stuck with Souths through thick and thin despite better offers from elsewhere at times. If he'd have gone to one of the glamour clubs at the time like the Roosters or the Dogs, I have no doubt he would've played rep footy but he wouldn't dog out the Bunnies and it probably cost him rep honors in the end.

Great player, great club man, but no one can go on forever.

Will never forget the image of him hoisting the premiership trophy in 2014. Hopefully he gets to do it again this year.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my little tribute to the great John Sutton.

Legends are not just about status and size. They're not just about the sales and the fame. They're not just about the success. They're about the whole experience and the story behind them. They capture our imagination, we back them 100% and they embody a sense of who we want to be. To me, true legends are about giving us a fairytale to hold onto, capturing our imaginations as they go.

That perfectly sums up why John Sutton is a true legend. He was never the most freakishly skillful player, he was never the kind of guy that was all about the massive big trick plays and perhaps, he was never the most well-known player. But none of that matters because he is one of the hardest working players ever and he absolutely loves this club. Because of that, he is inspirational and he has certainly captured my imagination throughout his career. For me, that is why he's a true legend.

Sutto has given absolutely everything to our club. Players like GI and Sam may be some of the greatest players of all time but for me, Sutto will always be the greatest Souths player of all time. Having a career that spans sixteen years at the one club and being the ONLY player in Souths 111 year history to reach the 300 game milestone just proves that and it speaks volumes of the kind of career he's had.

As I mentioned earlier, he bleeds Red and Green and absolutely loves this club. In my years of supporting Souths, I'm not sure that there's ever been a player who's loved this club more. It is his home, his castle. It's common knowledge that he could have quite easily left when we were really struggling, found success earlier at another club and turned himself into a superstar. However, because of his love for the club, that was never an option. Loyalty is quite possibly dead in the modern game but not when it comes to Sutto, he is the definition of loyal. Sticking by the club in those tough times would have been very, very hard but to his credit, he did stick with us and it makes those good times even sweeter......

And boy, oh boy hasn't Sutto had some sweet times. None more so than on October 5th 2014 when he became the first Souths junior to captain the club to Grand Final victory in 43 years since Johnny Sattler. Of course, that night was one of the greatest of my life and I will never forget it. But the memory of hearing Sutto's voice screaming, "Let's do this," the sound of that ringing so sweetly across the stadium and then the image of him hoisting that trophy with such emotion, is something that will never, ever leave me. I think I can speak for all Souths fans when I say that. That night made John Sutton. His whole career lead up to that moment and I can only imagine what it must have felt like.

In terms of his on field abilities, as I mentioned earlier, Sutto was never the most talented or freakishly skillful of players. He was still obviously blessed with great skill but he made up for the lack of freakish play with sheer hard work and a footy nouse that is second to none. No one can read a game like Sutto can. Sometimes throughout his career it was like he could see into the future. On top of this, he was also a great runner of the footy and had an amazing amount of finesse for a big man. What's more, I think he certainly got better with age. 2018 was one of the best years he's had individually and this year, he is still a vital cog of the team.

Then, there's his leadership. GI has been awesome but I don't think there'll be a greater Souths captain than Sutto. As I have said, he is inspirational and leads by example. Players want to rally and lift for him. He can fire the boys up like no other and but at the same time, can keep them calm and focussed on their next job. Even now, at times, I think he should still be captain.

Hard to believe the greatest career in Souths history is about to end, it really is. Makes me quite emotional to be honest. He has quite simply been the heart and soul of our team for sixteen years and a team without him will be hard to get used to. In saying that, it's not over yet. He has one more mountain to climb before he can rest and god, I hope this fires the boys up to do it and do it for John. I would love nothing more then to send him out a Premiership winner. He friggin deserves it.

You are far too humble to accept all the praise that comes your way but to Sutto, I just want to say thank you. Thank you for all the wonderful memories you have given us. There are too many, none greater than the 2014 Grand Final and for that, us members and fans are forever grateful. I don't think we win that comp without you and I don't think the club would be where it is today without you. I feel so privileged to have lived in a time where I got to witness a clubman like you because legends like you don't come around too often. The kind of player I am going to tell my kids about.

All the best in retirement and your new role with the club. You will be missed but congrats on one hell of a career to the King of Redfern, a true legend!! Let's put the cherry on top in 2019!!!!!

Last edited:
Probably one of the cleanest and most professional players of all time also.

There was a try he got against the sharks back in the day, won the game but just as important, saved you from the spoon.

I think it was at Jason Stevens farewell.

He basically stepped four or five defenders, went over and scored near the posts. Had spiders on him! It was miraculous.

A couple of players they tend to belong to the game not just their club, I think John qualifies. He’s loved and respected the game over.

We have that in Chris Lawrence but Chris is unsigned for 2020.

callmack1

Staff member
Probably one of the cleanest and most professional players of all time also.

There was a try he got against the sharks back in the day, won the game but just as important, saved you from the spoon.

I think it was at Jason Stevens farewell.

He basically stepped four or five defenders, went over and scored near the posts. Had spiders on him! It was miraculous.

A couple of players they tend to belong to the game not just their club, I think John qualifies. He’s loved and respected the game over.

We have that in Chris Lawrence but Chris is unsigned for 2020.
Yea bro, I'll never forget that night!! We had nothing to play for but Sutto found the spirit and won us the game!

Yea bro, I'll never forget that night!! We had nothing to play for but Sutto found the spirit and won us the game!

When he signed on, no-one in their wildest dreams would have thought that Souths would have become a powerhouse club.

But he said to himself, stuff it, I don’t care if we come last for my entire career.

Some remarkable players win premierships as captain. They are all elite.

Latest posts