1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

John Sutton should be marked "Never to play SOO"

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Mickyd39, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Mickyd39

Mickyd39 Juniors

If you watch tonights game you will understand the title of this thread.

My opinion is not just based on tonights game.

He only has one decent game in every 3 or 4.

Once he has a decent game, commentators, journalist and souths fans start carrying on about how he should be selected to play origin.

Decent club player at best.

I will just check off tonight's contribution from the chosen one:

Terrible kicking game CHECK

Forward pass CHECK

MIA when the going got tough CHECK

Terrible defence CHECK

No vision CHECK

The above check list is not just a one off, its most of his games.

The above check list indicates, i feel, why he should be marked "Never to play SOO"

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. DC_fan

DC_fan Coach

I am a Souths fan and I like Sutton. But for me he is not a five-eight. His kicking game is very inconsistent. For every good kick he puts in, he has 10 bad ones. Sutton is not a natural kicker. He lacks awareness of what is happening around him and vision of what should happen next.

3. RHCP

RHCP Bench

Interstate?

Todd Carney and to a lesser extent, Jamie Soward, are much furthur ahead in terms of who'll be wearing the number 6 long term than John Sutton.

I agree with the above, his kicking game isn't strong enough. He's more of a lock than a five-eighth imo.

4. DC_fan

DC_fan Coach

For me lock is his best position

5. Jason Maher

Jason Maher Immortal

Most of his games my arse. People have been waiting for him to have a shocker so they can trot out the same old lines about him being incosistent and only turning up one week in four. Nothing he could possibly do would change these idiots opinions. Face the facts, you've made a judgement based on a sample of one game and your own agenda against the bloke. You've thrown in the "most of his games" bullsh*t to try and fake a considered opinion.

6. Haynetrain

Haynetrain Referee

Good thread,he is useless.

7. Jason Maher

Jason Maher Immortal

Haynetrain agrees with the OP. Is any further evidence need that the OP's opinion is bullsh*t?

8. Haynetrain

Haynetrain Referee

John Sutton has the worst kicking game of all time,he is hopeless

9. umina panther

umina panther Coach

sammut and sandow are both alot worse

10. umina panther

umina panther Coach

thats not to say id ever ever want sutton kicking the ball for my team

11. Tonearm Terrorwrist

Tonearm Terrorwrist Immortal

I don't think he would look out of place in a sky blue jersey he proved for City he has the ability to do well in rep footy but I'd like to see him out wide in the 13 instead of the 6 but who will Souffs replace him with, Eddie Paea?? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Souffs are an ordinary side to begin with and he does play alongside the dumbest halfback in the NRL so the bra boy is better off getting out while he is still young enough with the talent still simmering enough to be exploited at a half decent club.

I don't think he needs his name crossed off anyway I doubt he would be in consideration unless injuries to likes of Carney, Bird, Gidley, Mortimer and Mullen all test our depth but he isn't that bad it is Sandow that is dog arse hair.

12. JT_

JT_ Juniors

Each time i watch him play i see a lock playing posing as a 5/8. It's the same situation with Mateo when he played the 6, just not gonna work. Souths really need a proper ball playing 5/8 to complement Sandow if they want to be going places. Also their forwards pack will resemble a reserve pack over the next few weeks surely, Sutton needs will go back to where he belongs.

13. Fein

Fein First Grade

Welcome back, stupid merkin. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

14. meatloaf

meatloaf Juniors

if you put it that way, I will agree with you then.

15. Danish

Danish Referee

no player should ever have the papers stamped "never to play SOO".

Yes, Sutton is playing reasonably poor at 5/8, but put him in his better position of lock and he could turn out brilliant.

Its not like NSW are falling over themselves with backrow options

16. Tonearm Terrorwrist

Tonearm Terrorwrist Immortal

You pissed your pension through the pokies already? Tough break.

17. typicalfan

typicalfan Coach

Yes he should be considered as a ball playing forward and not a 5/8 for origin but Greg Bird and Luke Lewis are miles ahead of him in that regard.

18. Whos Ya Daddy

Whos Ya Daddy First Grade

Incidentally they're both better 5/8's as well

19. Bumble

Bumble First Grade

For starters I don't understand the Sandow hate...he's been playing well for the last month or so and he's only going to get better. He had a second year slump in 2009 which is common. Lets not forget he was rookie of the year just two seasons ago.

As for Sutton? As has been stated by most of the people here, he's not a 5/8th. He's a devastating ball-runner and most of his try assists come from passes or offloads, not kicks. Sandow's kicking game is improving a lot and hopefully we can rely less and less on Sutton's boot in the future.

I really, really think we missed a trick in not signing Brett Finch for next year, and moving Sutton to the forwards.

1. Merritt
    6. Finch
    7. Sandow
    9. Luke
    13. Sutton

That's a very, very capable looking spine.

20. Big Pete

Big Pete Referee

People hate Sandow because he doesn't play tactically and he has grubby tendencies.