What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns was overlooked as Aust Captain because of Drug Use- Newcastle covered it up

Nathan B

Juniors
From http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/commo...//www.abc.net.au/am/content/2007/s2020314.htm

<SNIP>

TONY EASTLEY: But are you, are you disappointed with the way the Knights have handed it up until this stage?

DAVID GALLOP: No, not necessarily. I think the Knights have probably been grappling with&#8230;

TONY EASTLEY: But if anyone knew about this man's drug use, it would have been the Knights, Mr Gallop.

DAVID GALLOP: &#8230;he indicated that his problems go beyond recreational drug use. He has indicated that he has got other behavioural problems, and I'm sure they've tried to deal with those.

<SNIP>

OK, Dave. So let me get this straight. You are not necessarily disappointed with how the Knights handled this. Riiiiight.

EXPOSED.

Frailty

First Grade
In David Gallop's defence, he believes that the knights had tried to offer Andrew some help for his mental and behavioural problems....

... Problem is though, he shouldn't assume.

Nathan B

Juniors
Frailty said:
In David Gallop's defence, he believes that the knights had tried to offer Andrew some help for his mental and behavioural problems....

... Problem is though, he shouldn't assume.

Johns was a drug addict for 10+ years. Some help.

Frailty

First Grade
Now Johns is a drug addict? please....

And even if he was, as mentioned before, no one else can help until he wants it!

Azkatro

First Grade
Frailty said:
Now Johns is a drug addict? please....

And even if he was, as mentioned before, no one else can help until he wants it!
I completely agree. But they could have torn up his contract or suspended him without pay until he fixed the problem. But of course they knew what that would result in being who he was.

icewind

Juniors
yeh.... how many employers would sack you on the spot if you turned up to work half stoned?

wahoo202

Juniors
Wasn't he made Australian captain for a test after Fittler retired, and then he got injured, during which time Lockyer took over?

legend

Coach
Bobby DIGital said:
In Webcke's book he talks about drugs being rampant on a certain tour of the UK. He says he and Tallis were both disgusted by it, so it must of been the 2000 World Cup, because that's the only tour they went on to the UK together. He said E was the drug of choice amongst the Roos. I remember it being hugely popular in 2000. I wonder who Johns was poppin with.

Bingo!

Frailty

First Grade
icewind said:
yeh.... how many employers would sack you on the spot if you turned up to work half stoned?

As he has said many times, he was using them in the offseason mainly.... And I think it would suggest he would use them when injured, and so the effects weren't current whilst training and playing...

Would your employer sack you if you did it outside of work, and if you still did a very good job if you did turn up 'stoned'. In fact, how many times would your employer drug test you?

As for tearing up his contract, that would have been great for his bipolar or depression wouldn't have it? Not only would the loss of employment make him worse, it would also create more pressure on him with the media having a field day with Johns being sacked.

He is not addict. He is not an abuser. He is a man with a mental illness irrelevant of his drug use. His drug use seems to be an escape, not a cause.

Nathan B

Juniors
Frailty said:
As he has said many times, he was using them in the offseason mainly.... And I think it would suggest he would use them when injured, and so the effects weren't current whilst training and playing...

He used them on the bloody Kangaroo tour!

Frailty said:
He is not addict. He is not an abuser. He is a man with a mental illness irrelevant of his drug use. His drug use seems to be an escape, not a cause.

What you've heard is tip-of-the-iceberg stuff.

Serious question... why didn't Gould ask him what other drugs he'd taken? It was the first question that popped into my mind while I watched the interview. If he had the balls - no, the stupidity - to take drugs during the season and while representing Australia, what do you reckon he got up to during the off-season? The man was/is a God in Newcastle.

Mr Saab

Referee
Nathan, you are wasting your time. People are so naive about Johns and his drug taking exploits that is as funny as Craig McLaughlin doing standup.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Bobby DIGital said:
I think we need to look more in Chris Anderson's direction. Bennett stopped the Roos from partying too much in 04-05 in the UK. Ando was old school, open slather, let's get on the piss as much as we like style. Remember Mason's comment? About how they were just going on a tiki tour around Europe getting pissed every night on 03.
It also makes Bennet's comments re: the culture at Ricky Stuart's Roosters very interesting. Given that Anderson made particular mention of the Eastern Suburbs when recently interviewed about recreational drugs in society, and that Bennett himself turned a blind eye to booze in Origin bonding (and to a lesser extent the Broncos), it's not much of a stretch to think that Bennet's comments may have been aimed at something else.

Mr Saab said:
Roy Masters has to look at some of his timeline facts.

Johns was made Aust captain in 2002 for the 64-10 smashing of GB.
He was injured by Luke Bailey in the semi and Tallis was made captain for a one off game later in the yr.
Johns came back as captain in 2003...then was injured again with his neck issue (who knows if it was injury though) and Lockyer was made captain of the 2003 roo tour and has been captain ever since, one off injury permitting.
Thats what i was thinking when saw the thread..

Latest posts