What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johnson or Moylan..?

crazy pineapple

Juniors
thinking we need an experienced half to partner nicho hynes next year. who do you think would be a better suitor of the two?

personally i think nicho is a strait swap for moylan, albeit hynes possessing an upgrade with speed and youth, but see a similar attacking game with the two.

for me johnson has a stronger control on the game at halfback and a far superior kicking game. both tend to go missing at times but i think he'd get the nod over moylan as a better conductor.

both old with niggly injuries, if trindall sticks around im sure he'll still get plenty of gametime next year. even tracey or metcalf could step up with injuries.

just with hynes untested kicking game, i think johnson would get the tick from me. decent goal kicker too id be throwing a 500k one year deal with an option for the club for a second year. moylans well passed it for me.

thoughts?

Frenzy.

Immortal
Has anyone ever seen MM play half? If I have I don’t recall so as a halfback he’s an unknown quantity to me. I prefer SJ but have concerns about his $$ demands (alleged anyway)

Eion

First Grade
Yeah on pure football basis sj for sure.

But if he’s kicking stones...see ya.

If either or both of their attitudes are right I’d try to make room.

Chimp

Juniors
I’m a firm believer that both halves have to be realistic kicking options, though granted 1 would be main kicker, if not, you’re just inviting defensive pressure on the last tackle.
A Hynes/Moylan combo doesn’t appear to even have one obvious kicker, let alone 2 options. Unless Hynes has a long kicking game in his toolbox, we need a long kicker at 7 - that’s SJ.

I think Moyza would be pretty good at directing the team around the park, as Chimp stated above, his kicking game is a massive negative though. Hence why I would prefer SJ.
If it went on pride only, Moyza wins that battle.

what says to anyone moylan deserves anything?
a handful of reasonable games this year?
Johnson based on having a real dig last year at the right price.
looks more a 7 these days anyway.

what says to anyone moylan deserves anything?
a handful of reasonable games this year?
Johnson based on having a real dig last year at the right price.
looks more a 7 these days anyway.
Well the club seems to think that Moyza saying that he wants to be part of what the club is trying to build is a better option than SJ saying that he wants more cash, or so the report says, which we all know could be BS.

Well the club seems to think that Moyza saying that he wants to be part of what the club is trying to build is a better option than SJ saying that he wants more cash, or so the report says, which we all know could be BS.
I'd say the same thing if I was in his position.
the reality is.. he largely hasn't lived up to any expectation or hype that surrounded him and has spent a lot of his contract out injured.
Johnson on the other hand showed some great signs after copping some criticism by cronk and responded accordingly.
an SJ on the right money is always a better option.
maybe we need to start considering bonuses like Parramatta with Moses and rewarding success.
and for what it's worth I think a hynes moylan combination would be a mistake.

ghoti

Bench
SJ has more upside, it's only his desire to not be undervalued that's a problem for the club... I reckon he's still worth paying well for a couple years, young halves should be f**ken thrilled to learn under an icon and play alongside him when he's fit. he's adjusting his game well and i'm sure is watching Benji's shift in style closely.

I don't mind Moylan on a reduced pay packet, but not with Hynes incoming, and i think he throws the balance a bit out of whack in the halves depth.. Tracey, Trindall as understudies and SJ / Hynes as starting halves works for me.

Special K

Coach
I'm fine with Hynes being the 7. Whoever we can get the cheapest for 6 we should take for one year. I don't trust either of them.

Widdop was calling clubs to play this year and was asking 450k. I'd be fine with that as a stop gap while we wait for the real other half we want.

One thing I noticed with SJ the other day, when he was kicking he wasn't following through all the way like he used to pre achilles injury.
Still, most of his kicks were better than what we've become accustomed to lol.