What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johnson or Moylan..?

Omnishark2

Juniors
SJ definitely for me - for all the reasons everyone's said, kicking being number one.
Provided he can stop sulking if Fitz shows him some love in whatever meetings they have.
And yep, $600k is about right.

Moylan is great when he's on eg last weekend's game, silky passing skills.
But he's got no long kicking game, and you sense his attitude is only good now when he's chasing a new contract.
Moysa was good in 2018 - but as we've all seen sense then, he just can't do it consistently a

Weaponhead

Coach
Yeah on pure football basis sj for sure.

But if he’s kicking stones...see ya.

If either or both of their attitudes are right I’d try to make room.
Totally agree. The football side is SJ but questions over his motivation and attitude persist. Will he really buy in to direction? Is he ready to be challenged to consistently deliver?

Moylan's attitude and professionalism has been questioned. He does seem to have recognised the role he can play and is not the marquee player anymore. Does MM and NH work as a combo? It doesn't appear a natural fit as neither have proven kicking or organising ability at this level.

Interesting to see the longer term play in terms of a 7.

I've already stated that I would prefer SJ but I'm going to play devils advocate and present a case for Moyza here.
When he played 5/8 all season in 2018 he was superb for us and relatively injury free. After that he was switched to fullback and the injuries piled up on him.
It was quite obvious that he wasn't a fullback anymore but the club had got itself into a quagmire by panic buying SJ after Val went soul searching.
When it became apparent that he couldnt play at the back anymore, and all of us could see it, what did the coach do? still play him there and low and behold more injuries occurred.
Its no coincidence that this year that now is back in the halves, he is injury free and playing well.
I'll tell you all a story.
Last year out at Bankwest stadium against the Dogs there were bugger all people allowed in to watch the game, I was lucky enough to be one of them.
On the field you could hear every single word being said by the players.
Who was our most vocal in both attack and defence?
Thats right, Moyza. He was yelling at our side, directing the traffic everywhere, this side included both SJ and Chad, but it was Moyza running it, until he went off injured again (he was playing fullback surprise, surprise).
So if the club does choose to go his way there is a lot of upside, just no bloody kicking game.

crazy pineapple

Juniors
if we hold onto both we start losing juniors because of lack of oppurtunitys. id hate to lose trindall to have moylan milk us another year.

MM worked with a sprint coach during the off season and still got run down by a forward last weekend. we need to cut ties. as soon as he signs another contract he'll go disappearing in games. hes playing in cotton wool.

500-600k is definately value for skill in SJ. and to be honest, if i was him, id be expecting a minimum of that. he showed us what he was capable of last year and shows far less signs of slowing up. him distributing to a running hynes and kennedy in a backline move has cracked me a chub

Weaponhead

Coach
if we hold onto both we start losing juniors because of lack of oppurtunitys. id hate to lose trindall to have moylan milk us another year.

MM worked with a sprint coach during the off season and still got run down by a forward last weekend. we need to cut ties. as soon as he signs another contract he'll go disappearing in games. hes playing in cotton wool.

500-600k is definately value for skill in SJ. and to be honest, if i was him, id be expecting a minimum of that. he showed us what he was capable of last year and shows far less signs of slowing up. him distributing to a running hynes and kennedy in a backline move has cracked me a chub

Moyza didn't just get run down by any forward. It was Jarrod Wallace, the only player in the game who makes Aaron Woods look like Larry Corowa.

Bob Scott

Juniors
I've watched SJ since he came into grade for the Warriors , being in NZ i always watch them , SJ has reached his ceiling ,that's why the warriors let him go , weren't going to win a comp with him . When his contract came up for renewal at the warriors about 6 years ago i said then he needs to go to Aus as he was too comfortable , needed to challange himself , but nah took the easy option and nothing changed . When he came here i wasn't totally on board with it but i thought well give him a chance , the tougher environment could bring the bets out in him , but it didn't , we pretty much got what he served up at the warriors , the odd stand out game but pretty much vanilla the rest of the time .
And now he's not happy with Morris getting chopped , not happy with the dollars offered when he hasn't set the world on fire , rather than see the golden oppertunity he's been handed to possibly be in with the chance of fighting for a premiership in the next couple of years , he's throwing his toys out like he's all that .
I've had enough of him , as i dare say Fitz has , hence the current position he finds himself in . We will be better off in the long run .

TheLurker

Juniors
While all of the above points about SJ's lack of running game, age etc are valid, it could also be that the great Fitz is concerned about his return from a ruptured achilles. Statistically, only 60% of athletes return to their pre-operative level. In many ways, it's a harder injury to return from than an ACL rupture. Many athletes will say it's the hardest injury to rehab, and subsequently return from.

Who's to say how committed he was to his rehab? Only 40% of athletes return to their same level - I would imagine that those 40% are the ones who are the most committed to their pre-hab, rehab, the 1%s that separate the good from the great. I'm not in the know, but Fitzy would be.

Couple that with the fact that he's 31, the game has changed, teams structures are changing and obviously Fitzy has a vision for the future of the Sharks in the short-, medium- and long-term. By the time the 2022 season rolls along, we'll see what that is. But there's obviously a better 7 out there for our 2022 side, and Fitzy is pretty confident we can land him.

txta2

Bench
Buzz is saying Fitz has told SJ Woods and Dugans they are gone, can leave whenever they want.

R-15-3

Bench
The opinion of SJ in here by a few is like a yo-yo, want him on last years form, then comes back for a few weeks and is shit and calling for him to go, 1 good game last week and calling for him to stay. Now he has been told he isn’t wanted they will jump on board the f**k off train.

I'm fine with Hynes being the 7. Whoever we can get the cheapest for 6 we should take for one year. I don't trust either of them.

Widdop was calling clubs to play this year and was asking 450k. I'd be fine with that as a stop gap while we wait for the real other half we want.
We are told not to accept Mediocrity ... Thats Fine... Theres also the small consideration of always being prepared to jump through the window of opportunity. You need to always be ready as you can. Any team thats not , is not going to suddenly become competitive . Need to build! Seriously ? Hynes at 7 ... ? Talk about unknown ?Talk about giving up . Im all for picking side we'll go into future with ,so Bye Bye chad.... but Hynes at 7 ? Try it in the jets maybe..

Last edited:

bluefox68

Staff member
We are told not to accept Mediocrity ... Thats Fine... Theres also the small consideration of always being prepared to jump through the window of opportunity. You need to always be ready as you can. Any team thats not , is not going to suddenly become competitive . Need to build! Seriously ? Hynes at 7 ... ? Talk about unknown ?Talk about giving up . Im all for picking side we'll go into future with ,so Bye Bye chad.... but Hynes at 7 ? Try it in the jets maybe..
Today’s halves play similar roles to each other.

The risk that comes with playing him at 7 is minimal. Look at his build and then think of Nathan Cleary.

Latest posts