What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan - How long do we wait?

Elias1983

Coach
Its very weird to see the words "manager" and "good faith" in the one story...lol

over to Dousty now to wrap up a deal that is being firmly placed in his lap.... if this drags on it could only be bad news...
surely given Dugan has stated his intentions to stay a deal should be struck within a week???

You'd think he would have an offer already worked out, he had plenty of time to get a firm offer together while this short term contract was being registered.

Hopefully he is one step ahead...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If it was any other club the deal would have been struck allready but being Saints we would expect 2-3 months before it is done.

Hope they do so quickly because this guys value is gonna go up each week if he keeps going the way he is at the moment.

TheRev

Coach
Ive mentioned this in other threads, but its actually couldnt be a worse time for us to be resigning him, hes still in the novelty/motivated phase and his hype is to the max and even in origin fray.. means we will now pay top dollar.

I mean it is what it is, it just annoys me that the time to take a punt was when we signed him and nobody wanted him.. perhaps his manager was aware of this too.. either way I dont think there is a hurry, some time this year, I dont think he is going anywhere.

The secondary impact is Quinlan/Cummins/Hastings.

saint.nick

Coach
Ive mentioned this in other threads, but its actually couldnt be a worse time for us to be resigning him, hes still in the novelty/motivated phase and his hype is to the max and even in origin fray.. means we will now pay top dollar.

I mean it is what it is, it just annoys me that the time to take a punt was when we signed him and nobody wanted him.. perhaps his manager was aware of this too.. either way I dont think there is a hurry, some time this year, I dont think he is going anywhere.

Good point, and maybe Doust has been aware of this.

Fiery

Juniors
If it was any other club the deal would have been struck allready but being Saints we would expect 2-3 months before it is done.

Hope they do so quickly because this guys value is gonna go up each week if he keeps going the way he is at the moment.

True but it has only been the case for the last 2 years. I think that's because a lot of players are reluctant to come with the way things are at present.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Unless he's been scared straight its going to be a slow process and he won't sign long term.

karuah6

Juniors
True but it has only been the case for the last 2 years. I think that's because a lot of players are reluctant to come with the way things are at present.

Bullshit. Look who we have signed for 2014 already. It is quite apparent you indeed do not read posts that disagree with your agenda.

nrlnrl

First Grade

relax about Dugan, but I think 2 of those 3 names won't be at the Dragons next year

The Cobra

Juniors
For fuxake sign him for life.Make him co-captain & lets get someone in the halves that will straighten the attack.Stanley & Fein seem to think since Sowies gone it is up to them to run across field & crowd the outside backs!!

Fiery

Juniors
relax about Dugan, but I think 2 of those 3 names won't be at the Dragons next year

From what I hear I hope Hastings is the one to stay. Would love for Cummins to stay but if his position is fullback and Dugan is on-board....... Quinlin is good as well but someone pointed out how small he is (significantly smaller than Soward) which I didn't realise so unless he can play halfback, unfortunately I don't think he will make it.

Louiethefly

Juniors
From what I hear I hope Hastings is the one to stay. Would love for Cummins to stay but if his position is fullback and Dugan is on-board....... Quinlin is good as well but someone pointed out how small he is (significantly smaller than Soward) which I didn't realise so unless he can play halfback, unfortunately I don't think he will make it.

Cummins can play in the halves, and probably at Centre in a pinch. I think he will be playing 5/8 in first grade after he has some game time under his belt in the NSW cup.

possm

Coach
Dugan is the best thing that has happened in the Dragons recruitment since Gas came back. He reminds me so much of Changa Langlands. He is a great fit in our side and we should fight to sign him long term.

Hastings, Quinlan and Cummins should be retained if possible. It's not just the dollars that will influence a players decision; it's also the opportunity to progress. For many reasons our team now finds itself in a position of being able to give these youngsters a crack in first grade. I say:
Forget about Prior in the Centres and give someone like Raciman a chance to step up.
Forget about Chase Stanley at five-eighth and give Quinlan a go in that position.
Forget about Fien and let Hastings show us if he is up to the task at halfback.
Tell Cummins that once he is match fit - game time wtih the Cutters - he has a bright future at the Dragons.

We need to try and keep our bright young stars.

Fingerbang

Bench
Just few minor things that upset your plans, possm.....

1. Cummins wants out because he thinks he is too good to play NSW Cup
2. Hastings is only 17, and I think you have to be 18 to play NRL these days.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Dugan is the best thing that has happened in the Dragons recruitment since Gas came back. He reminds me so much of Changa Langlands. He is a great fit in our side and we should fight to sign him long term.

Hastings, Quinlan and Cummins should be retained if possible. It's not just the dollars that will influence a players decision; it's also the opportunity to progress. For many reasons our team now finds itself in a position of being able to give these youngsters a crack in first grade. I say:
Forget about Prior in the Centres and give someone like Raciman a chance to step up.
Forget about Chase Stanley at five-eighth and give Quinlan a go in that position.
Tell Cummins that once he is match fit - game time wtih the Cutters - he has a bright future at the Dragons.

Sure we want to keep them all, but they won't all have the opportunity to play NRL. If Dugan stays, then it's either Cummins or Quinlan who will go. One might make it as a half until Hastings is ready, but as I've said elsewhere I think at least 2 of these 3 will leave due to opportunities to play NRL sooner elsewhere & a clear career path.

Widdop will be 5/8 next year & if the club don't go for a quick external fix, one of those players might be a good half with Widdop. That's the other part of the problem people need to consider - the half must be someone who suits the team's needs & forms a combination with Widdop. ( as well as other players ) Don't forget about Kyle Stanley as an option for half. Yes he is injury prone, but he has plenty of talent plus a good long kicking game that Widdop lacks. Every team needs either their 6 or 7 to have a long kicking game. If the Dragons keep Hastings & view him as their long term half, Kyle Stanley could easily play lock. ( when Hastings is ready )

Last edited:

nontime111

Juniors
Imagine the FEAR wed unleash every week if this was the backline!
DUGAN
NIGHTS
FARRELL
CUMMINS
WIDDOP
HASTINGS/KYLE STANLEY

teams qouldnt know where to look or who to target in defence!! it would be like trying to carry a whellbarrow full of frogs from a to b containing that lot!! :crazy:

Father Ted

First Grade
Imagine the FEAR wed unleash every week if this was the backline!
DUGAN
NIGHTS
FARRELL
CUMMINS
WIDDOP
HASTINGS/KYLE STANLEY

teams qouldnt know where to look or who to target in defence!! it would be like trying to carry a whellbarrow full of frogs from a to b containing that lot!! :crazy:

Morris I presume is the other winger?

BennyV

Referee
The only one of those 3 that will probably get a run this year is Cummins (except for Quinlan slotting in if Dugs gets picked for NSW). Evander trained in the halves for most of the offseason, his only game this year for Under 20s he slotted into 5/8, it's a spot he should get the chance to make his own this year before Widdop comes along.

Hastings, I fear, might leave - not necessarily for money, but for the ties with the Roosters and the Nick Politis factor (what uncle nick wants, uncle nick gets). Even so, he is 17 and in the modern day game, throwing such a young kid into first grade will do more harm than good 99% of the time. He is a few years away from 1st grade and even then he will be competing with Crook (who everyone seems to forget) so perhaps he will end up looking elsewhere.

Quinlan - well, if he doesn't get a run in the halves with Cutters soon, I'd say he will move on when his contract is up.

twinkletoes

Juniors

I'd love to see those players in first grade, but it won't happen. Cummins has been injured all year and will be leaving the club. Hastings will be leaving the club. If they had any plans for Quinlan to play 5/8 or centre he would be playing there in Cutters...he's still playing fullback.

Also, nobody should be even contemplating Kyle Stanley for a permanent position in first grade...he's barely played for 2 seasons, has had major injuries and even so did he really show any great skills in his very limited time in first grade to suggest he was a great player. I keep seeing all these comments about how fantastic he is...he only played a handful of games and hasn't played for nearly 2 years.

jenninga

First Grade
I'd love to see those players in first grade, but it won't happen. Cummins has been injured all year and will be leaving the club. Hastings will be leaving the club. If they had any plans for Quinlan to play 5/8 or centre he would be playing there in Cutters...he's still playing fullback.

Also, nobody should be even contemplating Kyle Stanley for a permanent position in first grade...he's barely played for 2 seasons, has had major injuries and even so did he really show any great skills in his very limited time in first grade to suggest he was a great player. I keep seeing all these comments about how fantastic he is...he only played a handful of games and hasn't played for nearly 2 years.
Kyle will only need time to regain confidence,he shouldn't lose anything skillwise.It comes naturally for him.
I thought Marshall would have had similar bad luck not long ago and has recovered to play regularly injury free.

Latest posts