What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOSH DUGAN UNLEASHES ON DRAGONS

chiefy1

Juniors
Million dollar contracts are becoming a formality in rugby league and Josh Dugan is the latest star who wants to plant his name on the NRL's rich list.
MORE: Molan addresses affair allegations in emotional statement |McQueen and McMeeken set for England debuts against Samoa
There's only one issue - the Dragons aren't willing to cough up the money and are offering him $300,000 a season less than the $1 million he's asking for.
The fullback is fed up and can't comprehend why St George won't pay an Australian and Blues representative the big dollars.
''That’s where I’m lost as well,'' Dugan told The Daily Telegraph.
''I think the they’ve got plans for some of the younger guys coming through.
''I’ve been picked for Australia, and hopefully I’m picked for the Origin side in a few weeks time. There’s no reason why they (the Dragons) should have any doubts about how well I’m performing.
''I feel like I’ve proven myself at all levels, and I guess the most disappointing thing for me is the Dragons don’t see that.''
The Dragons believe Dugan is a centre, although the 26-year-old doesn't see himself that way.
''The club recruitment see me as a long-term centre, and I don’t agree with that,'' Dugan said.
''I’m not being greedy, I’m going for what I feel I’m worth as a world-class player. The club has offered me a three-year deal, but as a centre.
''I’ve played my whole career at fullback, I feel like I am one of the better fullbacks in the comp, and I feel I bring a lot to the table at fullback.
''That’s not to say I don’t bring anything to the table as a centre, but the way I see the Dragons’ structure at the moment, I fit right in at fullback.

Link: ''http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/l...ghest-paid-players/18ozjs76apiqg1g82mxxrmj4su

The Doc

Juniors
Not sounding good.
All that "we just have a few chinks to sort out" talk a couple of days ago seemed like it was almost a done deal.
This now sounds like it aint gunna happen.
Pity.... Duges imo is a vital member of our team.

giboz71

First Grade
Yep, looking more and more like he's leaving if he's talking to the press. Basically inviting the Dogs and Tigers to nab him. Remains to be seen if they are willing to pay his asking price.

If we get to keep the likes of Mann, Packer and Milne, I'm happy for him to walk.

It's all about squad balance and we shouldn't; break the bank to keep him, given he still has flaws in his game

mobels

Juniors
Happy for him to leave if he wants a million. He's without a doubt one of our best players but as seen in the two weeks without him this year he can be replaced by someone cheaper who can ball-play.

Hopefully with the money we save if he does leave we sign up a strike centre or a strike winger as we'd need a large winger similar to Nene or Mansour if we do indeed plan on having Field at fullback next year.

Emu01

Juniors
It sounds like the Merrin, Brett Morris situation.They all say they wanted to stay but the Dragons won't meet their asking price and the find the extra money elsewhere and leave.

The players get greedy and leaves for more money.

The club doesn't want to blow the salary cap and pay overs in their eyes for a greedy unappreciative brat.

I'm torn on which way to go. I'm leaning towards letting him go and sign Packer and Mann.

FlameThrower

Bench
Concern about this causing rifts within the squad. Last thing we want is a hissy fit with Dugan throwing his handbag on the ground,
Big money and greed can bring out the worst in people, I hope Dugan can take a step back and factor in what the Dragons have done for him, his team mates and culture at the Club.
Rather see him stay, but not at a cost of losing Mann,Lafai,Milhn or Packer.. just to retain him.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Its just hit me. josh is upset because none of the other clubs want to pay him a million and as we are the highest bidder he's painted himself into a corner .josh doesn't want to accept the dragons sensible offer he's better than that say goodbye josh

barry

Juniors
Josh tweeted last friday and i was so impressed with his tweet.

A week later i read this and i cant say how dissapointed i am that his gone and said this to the media. Completely thrown our club under the bus, he considers himself a leader, what leader would do this?

He should of kept his mouth shut and continued negotiating, if he beleives his wroth a million dollars then try sell yourself to other clubs, dont throw our club under the bus and act like youve been mis-treated or under valued

The clubs offer is more then enough his worth, i credit the club for only offering 700k because thats all his worth, at the most ive said id give him 800k but after reading this article theres no way in the world ill give him a cent more then 700k

Find it elsewhere and give me Gagai at 700k

possm

Coach
On reflection, it's best Dugan moves on at season's end. Select him at right centre for the remainder of the season and start trialing Mann, Field and Dufty.

If the Dragons want a marquee fullback, table an offer to Hayne. He is on a TPA so his manage knows how to get one. 800k plus TPA will do the trick fine.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Million dollar contracts are becoming a formality in rugby league and Josh Dugan is the latest star who wants to plant his name on the NRL's rich list.
MORE: Molan addresses affair allegations in emotional statement |McQueen and McMeeken set for England debuts against Samoa
There's only one issue - the Dragons aren't willing to cough up the money and are offering him $300,000 a season less than the $1 million he's asking for.
The fullback is fed up and can't comprehend why St George won't pay an Australian and Blues representative the big dollars.
''I’ve been picked for Australia, and hopefully I’m picked for the Origin side in a few weeks time. There’s no reason why they (the Dragons) should have any doubts about how well I’m performing.
''I feel like I’ve proven myself at all levels, and I guess the most disappointing thing for me is the Dragons don’t see that.''
The Dragons believe Dugan is a centre, although the 26-year-old doesn't see himself that way.
''The club recruitment see me as a long-term centre, and I don’t agree with that,'' Dugan said.
''I’m not being greedy, I’m going for what I feel I’m worth as a world-class player. The club has offered me a three-year deal, but as a centre.
''I’ve played my whole career at fullback, I feel like I am one of the better fullbacks in the comp, and I feel I bring a lot to the table at fullback.
''That’s not to say I don’t bring anything to the table as a centre, but the way I see the Dragons’ structure at the moment, I fit right in at fullback.''
Are there any other clubs willing to pay Dugan the 1 mil he wants? Well not to my knowledge. Dugan is not a million dollar fullback, with the current salary cap. He wants us to pay him overs again.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Not sounding good.
All that "we just have a few chinks to sort out" talk a couple of days ago seemed like it was almost a done deal.
This now sounds like it aint gunna happen.
Pity.... Duges imo is a vital member of our team.

Agreed mate.
The problem now may be that Duges gets shitty and loses his zest to perform at his best each week, not unlike when he was at Canberra ...................... that would be a real worry.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
On reflection, it's best Dugan moves on at season's end. Select him at right centre for the remainder of the season and start trialing Mann, Field and Dufty.

If the Dragons want a marquee fullback, table an offer to Hayne. He is on a TPA so his manage knows how to get one. 800k plus TPA will do the trick fine.

Are we offering only 700k because that is all we have left in the kitty to balance the books OR is it because Millward reckons he's only worth the 700k?

If Millward wants to pay more for another fullback than I would expect Duges to be dirty.
If it is because we simply can't offer more from a budget point of view, then at least we gave it our best shot.
If the latter is the real reason, then Duges should be made aware that is the case.

Walpole

Juniors
We can't let Dugan hold us to ransom. I wanted us to keep him and he's definitely one of our best but we've made a fair offer and it's just getting ridiculous now. Take the deal off the table, sign the other guys quickly and move on. If Dugan can get a million elsewhere, good luck to him.

Gandhi

Juniors
''That’s not to say I don’t bring anything to the table as a centre, but the way I see the Dragons’ structure at the moment, I fit right in at fullback.''
Dugan is all words and no action to back up his claims. He is NOT in the aussie team as theor fullback. He is their centre. Hellooooo!! This is THE position that saints want to pay him 700k to 800k a year to play with us!! He says he is in the aussie team.. well so are another 10 players who earn less than him. If he was number 1 for australia as slater and boyd are... fine...pay him a million. But he aint.. he is a centre. He says he has done it all. .. so has fritzell....merrin...klemmer...fifita.
Duges you fool....you dont get a million a year just because you are in the oz team as a centre. If you dislodge slater and boyd from their full back by being brilliant at full back for club and state... ask for a million then. Now go away and thank your lucky stars boy.

Gandhi

Juniors
We can't let Dugan hold us to ransom. I wanted us to keep him and he's definitely one of our best but we've made a fair offer and it's just getting ridiculous now. Take the deal off the table, sign the other guys quickly and move on. If Dugan can get a million elsewhere, good luck to him.
He cant. In his dreams he can. Move on.....he sounds toxic to me.

Latest posts