What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JOSH DUGAN UNLEASHES ON DRAGONS

Saintsified

Bench
I think Saints should reduce Dugan's offer to 700K, take it or leave it. It does not appear that there are any clubs who want Dugan to play fullback for them(Canterbury look like the only one that might?). I also doubt that many, if any clubs are going to pay him more than 700K to play centre for them either, unless they can get away with a big 3rd party deal included. We should not be paying anything more for Dugan than other clubs are prepared to pay him, if anything, if he is as loyal as he says he is, then he should sign for us for less.
Now the last part i do agree with, lets not mix up what he is worth and what he should play for due to loyalty..as many players in the past stayed at their clubs for unders for potential glory...i agree with this part he should take 830k or whatever he is offered but i think he is worth 1m.

Life's Good

Coach
His view would be he signed up at X dollars in 2013 & is now a seasoned rep player with a high profile at the club which should see a pay rise accordingly. Problem is available clubs are disappearing so his market value wont go up if there is no one chasing his signature. In my opinion him coming out in the media is a bit of a dummy spit at the club and points to lack of other offers which is backing him into a corner. How it plays out is hard to say but recent history suggests the club is holding firm(despite a revised offer & Mary insisting he is an FB).

barry

Juniors
ANOTHER injury to Dugan and ANOTHER extended amount of time on the sidelines and that is why we cannot afford to offer him ridiculous amounts of "marquee" money to re sign him.
I just don't think he produces enough for us in attack to get marque money. It should end there.

His defense deserves it and gaining meters in our own half, but poor production in the opponents half is why he shouldn't get marque on top of that on top of that the injuries.

He should of went off for a HIA in the Sharks game, he went off for HIA in the roosters game and I guarantee you if the policy was this strict in the prior years he would of went off for HIA for at least a quarter of the games he played

barry

Juniors
The only way Dugans going to get his marquee money is if the bulldogs sign him and give him brown paper bags

No one is going to occupy 1mil per year on their books for Dugan

possm

Coach
I think Saints should reduce Dugan's offer to 700K, take it or leave it. It does not appear that there are any clubs who want Dugan to play fullback for them(Canterbury look like the only one that might?). I also doubt that many, if any clubs are going to pay him more than 700K to play centre for them either, unless they can get away with a big 3rd party deal included. We should not be paying anything more for Dugan than other clubs are prepared to pay him, if anything, if he is as loyal as he says he is, then he should sign for us for less.
The Dragons at the moment have plenty of good centres however, they are not in the Clubs plans for 2018. Milne and Lafai could be signed for the coin the Dragons are offering Dugan - 750k. Then there is Mann and Aitken and a few young juniors.

Withdraw Dugan's offer, sign Packer and see what happens. If Dugan does not sign for 750k, sign Milne and Lafai.

possm

Coach
The only way Dugans going to get his marquee money is if the bulldogs sign him and give him brown paper bags

No one is going to occupy 1mil per year on their books for Dugan
Yes what a joke, Hoppa is reportedly taking up 150k worth of the Dogs cap. Why would they pass that up for Dugan at 1m.

Frank Facer

First Grade
The Dragons at the moment have plenty of good centres however, they are not in the Clubs plans for 2018. Milne and Lafai could be signed for the coin the Dragons are offering Dugan - 750k. Then there is Mann and Aitken and a few young juniors.

Withdraw Dugan's offer, sign Packer and see what happens. If Dugan does not sign for 750k, sign Milne and Lafai.
Yep, I agree. I don't even think that Dugan is value for money at centre on 750k. I would give him 700K at the max and I think that is more than generous.

Milne should have been signed up long term last year. I can not believe that Millward, Mary and whoever else is pulling the strings behind the scenes, can not see that we have a gooden on our hands in Milne. He should have also been the first centre chosen for us this year. I think he has State Of Origin potential. I also see him as a strike weapon. I can not say the same things about Aikten.

Crush

Coach
Now the last part i do agree with, lets not mix up what he is worth and what he should play for due to loyalty..as many players in the past stayed at their clubs for unders for potential glory...i agree with this part he should take 830k or whatever he is offered but i think he is worth 1m.
So if he is worth a million we should offer him 660k because he misses 33% of all games due to injury.
Don't quote me on that figure btw, not keen on dredging up the Dugan is injury prone discussion again. Lets just say that he is injured a lot. Or unlucky with injuries.

dragon thomo

Juniors
Time for a decision to be made. If Dugans offer is around $800 000 I believe thats pretty close his value. Very good player and I feel we are a lot better team with him but we should not let this negotiation drag on. Give him until next Friday or we start moving in a different direction

Farrquarr

Juniors
Honestly if we let him hold the club to ransom wr will end up like the tigers. With players thinking they are n****r yhen the club. Take away the offer and make an example.

Gandhi

Juniors
Honestly if we let him hold the club to ransom wr will end up like the tigers. With players thinking they are n****r yhen the club. Take away the offer and make an example.
100% right. Dugan suits the Tigers culture. If he doesnt sign for 750k....let him go. We will be cashed up ....and wow, we might even find a full back who can pass a ball, chime into the backline and achieve try assists! Give him 7 days or take the offer off the table. If he goes public and continues to sook, take it off today. The guy has no respect. He needs to write 500 times on a blackboard, I AM A CENTRE.

Gandhi

Juniors
So he is THE BEST player n NRL is he? He is worth 750k...not
1 mill. Thurston, cronk, smith, even slater. Not duges. Maybe not even 750k.

Gandhi

Juniors
any good fullbacks off contract?
Well the club isnt going to play dugan at fb next year no matter what mary says. Mary may not even be here next year. Millward is pulling the strings. Millward says he is a centre. Therefore, we could go after gagai to replace duges at centre and move mann to fb ...or one of our juniors. Or go after hayne to play fb or centre. Or go after cronk to play halves and move widdop to fb. Lots of options. There are other options too.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Well the club isnt going to play dugan at fb next year no matter what mary says. Mary may not even be here next year. Millward is pulling the strings. Millward says he is a centre. Therefore, we could go after gagai to replace duges at centre and move mann to fb ...or one of our juniors. Or go after hayne to play fb or centre. Or go after cronk to play halves and move widdop to fb. Lots of options. There are other options too.
mann played one bad game at fb last year and never seen him return back to fb after that

TomRedVRiver

Bench
If Dragons fans and Dugan himself don't see that he is a better centre than fullback after Friday night, then they have delusions of grandeur.

People are so worried about our right edge defence, well... Dugan solves that problem. Not to mention he is lethal in attack running the ball on the edges.
With good service from Hunt, we would be hard to stop on both sides of the field.

SaintElroy

Juniors
If Dragons fans and Dugan himself don't see that he is a better centre than fullback after Friday night, then they have delusions of grandeur.

People are so worried about our right edge defence, well... Dugan solves that problem. Not to mention he is lethal in attack running the ball on the edges.
With good service from Hunt, we would be hard to stop on both sides of the field.

This

MilanDragon

Juniors
If Millward wants Dugan at right centre which doesnt worry me. Why did we sign Atkin who is a right centre .

They signed him for 3 years if I'm not mistaken. Maybe the plan was to see how Aitken develops in that time. Play Dugan at FB for the first couple of years then shift him if Aitken hasn't developed as much (or possibly shift Aitken at that point to forward pack). In that 2 years a guy like Field/Dufty to step up into FB.

Also if we hadn't signed Aitken then missed out on Dugan we could've been left short too (even though we seem to have an abundance of centres).

This of course is pure speculation but trying to figure out how the club was thinking.