What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Kerr

BennyV

Referee
Will definitely start the season with the cutters.
But a little inside info, there are BIG raps on Kerr within the dragons.
There is a big belief if he gets a run due to injury that he will cement a first grade spot. Thats how high the opinion of him is within the dragons.
If he gets a bench spot, we will have a HUGE bench!
Vaughan, Mose, Sims, and Kerr.... with starting forwards AhMau, Packer, Frizz, Thomo, and the way its looking JDB at 13.
Thats a monsterous bench...
But believe me when i tell you, the plan with Kerr is not to play the entire season with the cutters, he will get a run in 1st grade and the expectation is he will hold his own and cement a first grade spot.
We would be insane to play without either Havili or McCrone on the bench as backup hooker. Definitely Marketo too!!!
It's funny that everyone these days thinks we need an enormous pack. It wasnt that long ago that we won a comp with a bunch of 6 foot, 100 kilo forwards who were genuinely tough players (Smith, Costigan, Scott, Young).
Agree, some of the best props in the world arent the biggest guys, but they play big. Its what I loved about Weyman. It also requires a decent coach.

Uplifting

Juniors
I'd hope locals, Sele, Host will be in the mix also. Big raps on them too. IMO, give them all a run in the first 6 weeks and see who shines and then settle on your pack.

Hope Mary changes his team selection strategy and doesn't just:

- have a guess based on off-season training or
- any irrelevant preconcieved ideas Mary might have about players
- or wait for an injury.

The Doc

Juniors
I'd hope locals, Sele, Host will be in the mix also. Big raps on them too. IMO, give them all a run in the first 6 weeks and see who shines and then settle on your pack.

Hope Mary changes his team selection strategy and doesn't just:

- have a guess based on off-season training or
- any irrelevant preconcieved ideas Mary might have about players
- or wait for an injury.
I just hope that mary at the very least gives these young juniors a run in the trials.
And not as in a small 5 or 10 minute run and thats it.
Give them proper game time in the trials... and have the balls to give them a go if they go well in the trials.
I personally fear that mary, knowing he is on thin ice, will take the safety first approach of only playing experienced players such as marketo and deprive the young guys out of fear for losing his job!!!
Luciano if he resigns should have a bench spot, Host hasnt done anything rong, and Sele has big wraps on him, as does Kerr who i know isnt our junior but he is a young bull also that could have a Klemmer like impact for us.
These youngsters deserve a shot in 1st grade, give them 2 or 3 weeks to show what they got.
Alot of these youngsters futures in the red V depend on mary having the balls to promote them or not.

j0nesy

Bench
Hard to see Kerr getting a run in our pack. I'm impressed with our forwards, very impressed:
Packer - An old school prop. Big and tough.
Masoe - Huge man, could be devestating but let's see how he recovers from his knee injury
Vaughan - another big boy, has a lot of potential
AhMau - going backwards
Kerr - big raps and a big lad
[wakeman] - I reckon he's one of our best forwards but doubt he will get a go
[sele] - never impressed me, but others rate him. Doubt he'll get a go.

McInness - 80 minute player but not sure if that's the best way to use our player resources.
Mccrone - given size of our pack I wouldn't mind seeing him on the bench for a bit of versatility and as cover for hooker and half.
Havili - I think he's a 2nd rowers that can play a bit of hooker. Decent player but look at our 2nd row

Friz - by far our best 2nd rower
Thompson - could be pushed by sims and leilua
Sims - damaging ball runner when at his best. Very strong.
JDB - good player but needs to do more in attack will be under pressure
Host - wouldn't be surprised to see him go past JDB next season.
Leilua - talented player but needs to work on his fitness and defence. Great optionnoff the bench.

Not so impressed with Marketo and Matthew. But gee that's a lot of forwards.

Last edited:

Bench
We have a very good team on paper, but we. Need Mary to develop each players skills and not play them out of position

He has got to show some balls and select his team on performance, there were players not performing in 2016 but were never dropped, I would hope that this changes in 2017.

Uplifting

Juniors
Jonsey and Doc I reckon your consideration of those players is insightful. And I think fans in generally really value giving all players a fair go. Our hopes are pinned on our existing, young and new players.

It's impossible to know exactly what a player is capable of until giving them a genuine go. This is why 'trial and error' is the only way.

I personally think that team selection is one of Mary's greatest flaws (and this was so of Price too).

Don't know why some coaches have such narrow vision. Promising young players need to be in a system headed by a coach who atleast understands the capacity of his most important resources, his players. Anyway I hope this aspect is improved next season.

j0nesy

Bench
Jonsey and Doc I reckon your consideration of those players is insightful. And I think fans in generally really value giving all players a fair go. Our hopes are pinned on our existing, young and new players.

It's impossible to know exactly what a player is capable of until giving them a genuine go. This is why 'trial and error' is the only way.

I personally think that team selection is one of Mary's greatest flaws (and this was so of Price too).

Don't know why some coaches have such narrow vision. Promising young players need to be in a system headed by a coach who atleast understands the capacity of his most important resources, his players. Anyway I hope this aspect is improved next season.

Come to think of it I think Kerr will get a run at some stage. Masoe was out for the season with a knee injury and it takes a long time to come back from that, some never do. Ah Mau is going backwards and, while he's a hard ball runner, he isn't the biggest prop out there and can be a bit dimensional. Which does open the door a bit for Kerr, and less likely Sele, to be given a shot. A Packer, Vaughan, Kerr prop rotation is a chance, bearing in mind we have some good 2nd rowers that can also cover prop (e.g. Sims, JDB and Host).

Kerr is still a bit of an unknown at this stage.

Was a junior Qld rep this year so some one must think enough about him and when I saw him play for the Storm in the under 20's he went alright.

The Dragons have some good young forwards coming through Host, Sele, Kerr and Lawrie but i am disappointed that leatigaga, Taufa and Jurd at this stage have been let go.

The drama surrounding leilua is like a drawn out soap opera and its rather annoying.

At times and this is just my opinion he was outplayed by leatigaga and Taufa who both don't have the ball playing skills didn't go missing in games and played for the full amount of time they where on the field.

On Masoe I don't see him anywhere near first grade for a while he needs time to adjust and that should be with the Cutters and it won't hurt him.

If he gets the shits with that they he will be on his way just like Ikahihifo who imo was treated poorly and never had a hope of playing first grade.

GeeJay 2

Juniors
Kerr is still a bit of an unknown at this stage.

Was a junior Qld rep this year so some one must think enough about him and when I saw him play for the Storm in the under 20's he went alright.

The Dragons have some good young forwards coming through Host, Sele, Kerr and Lawrie but i am disappointed that leatigaga, Taufa and Jurd at this stage have been let go.

The drama surrounding leilua is like a drawn out soap opera and its rather annoying.

At times and this is just my opinion he was outplayed by leatigaga and Taufa who both don't have the ball playing skills didn't go missing in games and played for the full amount of time they where on the field.

On Masoe I don't see him anywhere near first grade for a while he needs time to adjust and that should be with the Cutters and it won't hurt him.

If he gets the shits with that they he will be on his way just like Ikahihifo who imo was treated poorly and never had a hope of playing first grade.
Coast I think Jurd signed a Cutters contract for 2017. I hear he just had shoulder surgery after playing half the year in the 20s carrying an injury. Should be back in couple of months to full training.

GeeJay 2

Juniors
Coast I think Jurd signed a Cutters contract for 2017. I hear he just had shoulder surgery after playing half the year in the 20s carrying an injury. Should be back in couple of months to full training.
I also heard Nathan lestigaga is joining North Sydney Bears in the NSW Cup.

getsmarty

Immortal
Kerr: Loving My New Surroundings
Mon 21st November, 12:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons new recruit Josh Kerr is ready to seize the opportunities ahead of him after arriving at the Club.

The Redcliffe Dolphins junior, who can play throughout the front-row, arrived at the Red-and-Whites after agreeing to a two-year contract during the off-season from the Melbourne Storm.

Kerr was part of the Victorian side’s National Youth Competition team last season with his performances on the field earning him selection into the Queensland Maroons U20 team.

The forward is hoping such opportunities continue in his new surroundings and has embraced everything that has come with the decision to join the Red V.

“I’ve had a very lucky and fortunate year which included being named in the Queensland U20 side as a result of a few injuries and what not,” said Kerr.

“Luckily my name was available to be selected for the squad and I took the opportunity with both hands and learnt a lot from it.

“The surroundings here at the Dragons are different to Melbourne but I’m really loving it here and it’s so easy to get around and the beaches are great.

“I’ve never done anything like this before so I am a little bit nervous but everyone has been so welcoming and been able to have a laugh so I can’t ask for more.

“I love the fact we have the beach out the back and we’re able to walk down there at the end of a session to cool down.

“I am learning new things off some talented players and will take on board everything that I can this pre-season.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/11/21/kerr_.html

hewi

Bench
A common theme appears to be that the new players are made very welcome by their team mates and they love living in the Gong, pleasant climate plus beaches. After Canberra or Melbourne I know I'd be over the moon!!!

“I am learning new things off some talented players and will take on board everything that I can this pre-season.”

The guy is buggered already then.

Learning past two years in Storm system (Cronk, Bromwich, Smith, Bellamy).
Learning past two weeks in Dragons system (Hutchinson, Ah Mau, Marketo, McGregor).

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I believe that Ah Mau is a robotic type of player. Kerr reminds me a bit of Tony Priddle but I think that he will
become a much better player.
De Belin and Thompson along with Ah Mau do not seem to have the variation in their games and are two dimensional. They seldom show attacking initative and the outcome of their efforts is predictable and mediocre.

hewi

Bench
As long as he doesn't end up like poor Tony Priddle. I saw him at a Roosters game at the SFS and one of the Roosters punched him flush on the chin. He dropped like a sack of spuds and IMO was never the same player again.

Mr Red

First Grade
Agree, some of the best props in the world arent the biggest guys, but they play big. Its what I loved about Weyman. It also requires a decent coach.

mate Weyman's playing weight was around 113 to 115kg ... so he was BIG.

Matt Scott would be a better example of what you mean by playing big as he is only around 105 to 106kg but plays like he weighs 10kg more...

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Yes Priddle was a bit disappointing in the latter part of his career. I think that our depth of forwards next year will be akin to our good packs in 1977 and 1979 which included Young, Reddy, Buckley, Edge, Stone, Starkey and Jansen from what I can recall.