What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Mansour

Panther67

Juniors
Just thought we could leave our appreciation to Josh Mansour here rather than on our Rd 12 congrats. Thanks guys.

maple_69

Bench
Getting knocked back by your local footy side is a bit like being shut out by your own family.
That’s certainly how it felt for Josh Mansour, a budding soccer talent who, just days after being cut by the Bulldogs SG Ball development squad in 2007, went back to his junior club Kingsgrove Colts hoping to revive his fledgling rugby league career in the St George A-grade competition.
Instead, what he got was a door slammed in his face.
“It was a kick in the guts,” Mansour describes. “I’m like, Did I make the right choice sticking to rugby league or should I have stuck to soccer?
“And then I told myself, This is it. This is the last chance because I’m right on the edge here. I’ve got to choose to play footy or go back to doing carpentry.”
This was a kid who had never made a rep team, and wasn’t even wanted by his junior club. As far as NRL dream-chasers go, this guy wasn’t anywhere near having a crack at the big time.
“And then someone told me there was an open trial for the North Sydney Bears in the Premier League [now the NSW Cup]. So I went there by myself and there were four games opposed. I ended up playing three games before the coach at the time, Wayne Lambkin, told me to sit out the fourth game.
“I didn’t know if that was a good thing or a bad thing but it ended up being OK as me and six other boys got picked up.”
But Mansour barely stepped foot on North Sydney Oval again that year. Instead, the Rabbitohs reared their head and found a kid that had perseverance written all over him.
“That was the first thing,” recalls then Rabbitohs Toyota Cup assistant coach Ben Gardiner, now the side’s head coach.
“And he had a fair bit of belief in himself as well. A lot of people probably told him he was too small. So he worked hard on putting on weight and worked hard on his general strength because he knew he wasn’t going to get any taller.
“And now that’s one of his key attributes. He’s so strong and he pushes people off and gets such a quick play-the-ball. We did a lot of work in 2010 with him on how to find his front when he’s running the ball so that he could start the set off quickly for the team. And you look at Penrith now, that’s exactly what he’s doing.”
The 2010 season was a crucial one for Mansour. He helped the Rabbitohs surge to the grand final and was selected in the Toyota Cup Team of the Year before travelling with the Junior Kangaroos to England.
Bigger things were expected to come the following season, but instead Mansour languished in the NSW Cup as then coach John Lang went with Shaune Corrigan, Fetuli Talanoa and James Roberts.
“I could’ve had a chance to make my debut with Souths, I was pretty confident,” says the 22-year-old Mansour.
“But towards the end of the year, I lost that confidence because I felt like I got brushed. I wasn’t really too happy about that.
“I played a couple of trials with Souths, but I lost my confidence. I thought they never believed in me, to be honest. They never gave me the opportunity.”
And that’s when the one-third Lebanese, Portugese and Cuban Mansour hit another crossroad in his career. November had arrived and Mansour had no one to play for.
“Souths offered me nothing and that was upsetting. I looked back and I got all these accolades, and I thought I at least could’ve got a pre-season contract or something, but they didn’t offer me anything at all,” he says.
“Only Penrith offered me a pre-season. I had no choice to take it because no other clubs were looking at me.
“I never had a one-on-one chat with Johnny Lang. I gave up work some days to have the opportunity to train with them, to be part of the team. But when I got to Penrith I did a couple of one-on-one chats with Ivan [Cleary, Panthers NRL coach]and I did some individual video work with him. He’s been great with me from the start. That was obviously a big boost for me.”
Cleary’s faith has thus far been handsomely rewarded. Mansour’s average of 164m per game is the most by any Panther on record and trails only Paul Gallen and Brett Morris as the best in the NRL. HIs 17 tackle-breaks against the Sea Eagles in Round 12 were the most by any winger in NRL history and his 204m the most by any Panthers winger in a single game.
It’s enough to make the family that encouraged him to never give up very proud.
“My cousins played but never reached a rep level so I’m pretty much the only one,” Mansour says. “They’ve been behind me since day one. All my cousins are all older than me so I was looking up to them when I was young, but now they’re all looking up to me. It’s a great feeling,” he said.

http://www.nrl.com/perseverance-pays-for-mansour/tabid/10874/newsid/67870/default.aspx

Interesting read on Josh Mansour.
Really encouraged by his comments on Ivan Cleary. His ability to manage young guys and get the best out of them (in this case give Josh the confidence to perform at his best) is going to be invaluable to our club.

Looking forward to seeing him in Panthers colours for a long time to come.

Also, isn't it telling how many kids come into the team after having a rough run, spending time in NSW/QLD Cup before they get their crack and hit the ground running. After the broadcasting deal, the ARLC needs to fix up the 20s/NSW Cup model.

PinkPanther

Juniors
Only played a few games and has already broke a Penrith record and a NRL record. Great signs for the future!

Copperhead

Juniors
I don't know what South's were thinking, but we got very lucky with Josh.
Hope he's with us for a long, long time.

soc123_au

Staff member
A few of the 50uffs supporters on here, mainly Bunniesman were talking him up big time about 18 months ago. It seems they had him pegged correctly. If he keeps up the work ethic that got him this far, then the sky could be the limit for him. Luckily for us we get to see him progress wearing a black jersey.

This kid is a great talent. We will regret losing him to you guys for meny years to come imo.

From what I understand, there were a few reasons why he was not retained that haven't been mentioned in the article.

They certainly had nothing to do with talent, moreso just that he may have fell in with the wrong crowd. Sounds like the move to Penrith has done him the world of good.

Good luck to him.

Doomednow

Bench
Also, isn't it telling how many kids come into the team after having a rough run

The part that annoys me is that he chose us because no one else was offering a contract. Can't hold that against him, and we are lucky to have such a young talent, but jeez it would be nice to be a team players from elsewhere wanted to play for. Here's hoping we can build towards that.

maple_69

Bench
That's the reality we have to deal with though. Gus has attracted some great players though and a few young guys have mentioned gus's personal interest is what swayed them. As with the sharks success is ultimately what will make Penrith an attractive option.

Also encouraging that we were the only team to be able to see his magnificent potential.

betcats

Referee
How can you be "a third" of something heritage wise?

Im no expert but people just generalise a lot i think. If you're dads say a quatre portugese and you're mothers half portugese, what are you? Can you really put a number on it?

I don't mind when Norths players end up at Panthers, after all Panthers are my team whilst the Bears hibernate from the big time. The Souths/Norths deal is also good IMO. As far as I'm concerned if all decent Bears players keep getting a shot at NRL level with either Panthers or Bunnies, I'll be stoked.

stretcher

Juniors
Im no expert but people just generalise a lot i think. If you're dads say a quatre portugese and you're mothers half portugese, what are you? Can you really put a number on it?
That's easy ya mum is one nationality ya dads another and you are born in a different country than both haha

Doomednow

Bench
Simple maths. You are 1/4 x 1/2 = 1/8.

522232d1317010357-newbie-question-about-new-watch-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

DC_fan

Coach
A few of the 50uffs supporters on here, mainly Bunniesman were talking him up big time about 18 months ago. It seems they had him pegged correctly. If he keeps up the work ethic that got him this far, then the sky could be the limit for him. Luckily for us we get to see him progress wearing a black jersey.

I saw him play two years ago and thought this kid is gong to be really good. I remember talking to Joshs dad and saying he was going to be Souths fullback when Wesser left.

I am disappointed Souths let him go.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I wish we kept him ahead of Corrigan and Talanoa. One of many of John Langs f**k ups.

He's not going to keep up his current ridiculous stats forever when teams start to figure him out but he's a big talent.

soc123_au

Staff member
He's not going to keep up his current ridiculous stats forever when teams start to figure him out but he's a big talent.

It would be fantastic if he could keep producing those stats forever, but it is very unlikely that will happen. Even as other teams figure him out, it is hard to defend against strength & leg drive. The kid seems to be focused & driven in carving out a career in the NRL, if he remains focused he will go a long way to filling the void left by Flash.

DC_fan

Coach
I saw him play two years ago and thought this kid is gong to be really good. I remember talking to Joshs dad and saying he was going to be Souths fullback when Wesser left.

I am disappointed Souths let him go.

Seems Ivan has noticed what I have seen in young Josh.

Kilkenny

Coach
To his credit Josh Mansour has taken his opportunity with both hands. He is talent and could establish himself in the NRL now he has shown what he is capable off.

Have the Panthers locked him up for 2013 and beyond? I hope they have but I haven't researched to confirm this! If we don't or haven't well someone surely will.