What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh McCrone Vs Mark McLinden

schnitzel

Juniors
Who is/was better?

They are such similar players in my mind... McCrone has shown this season that his best asset is his running game and the ability to step through traffic with a fend and score tries, much like McLinden used to.

They are both ordinary organisers and kicking in general play is average at best. Poor defenders. Passing games much of a muchness.

McCrone does a good bomb and McLinden had a decent short grubber.

FFS they are both Mc's and even look kinda the same....:shock:

Anyway, I thought McLinden was somewhat overhyped, I actually reckon Josh is the better player all round.

shear_joy9

Coach
mclinden comfortably. He certainly had his ups and downs throughout his raiders career (constant position changes didn't help) but he absolutely killed it in his debut year.

mccrone's a hack. The fact that he's been named one of the side's best this season is only testament to the complete garbage dished out by his teammates this year. He's a good backup for injuries though.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
McLinden. Had the potential to be very good but he didn't seem interested in being a full time professional player. McCrone will be in the ESL at best within 2 years.

Cryptic

Juniors
Wow... Considering McCrone was out best player for 2/3 of the year that's a bit harsh... McCrone has a LOT more going for him than McLinden did.... McLinden always had the possibility of doing well, but never lived up to it.

Might also add McCrone was our only play who got into double digits for the player of the year. McLinden was playing in a much better period for the club, and didn't deliver... McCrone did a lot with the little provided him.

McLinden. But never really reached a consistant level for us. I remember one game where he just carved Brisbane up. I think Marty struggled as he could never really settle into one position.

I said in the other thread I think McCrone could go well into the centres. He has a good turn of pace and knows how to run at the line.

aussies1st

Staff member
Good times remembering the past. McLinden had more talent and on his day he easily beats McCrone. For how they have played out it is fairly even, you wouldn't want either organizing your side.

gUt

Coach
McCrone has really stepped up this year. I'm surprised you guys aren't more positive about his efforts. He would look good in a Broncos jersey imo.

McCrone is pretty ordinary, although he has done better than I expected. The fact that he has been about the Raiders best player this year really says it all about the team this season.

McLinden would have had more talent but never really delivered.

schnitzel

Juniors
The McCrone hate is bizzare. without his efforts this year we would have gotten the spoon. I reckon he's top 10 five eighths in the NRL at present. Not many can consistently score individual tries by breaking the line like Josh has in 2011.

He's not a halfback so I really think he should be moved permanently into the centres.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
McLinden. Elliott broke him though.

Kept sticking numpties in the halves with him (Drew/Gafa/Terry Martin) so he was constantly targeted.

Was disappointed when he left.

Koopa111

Juniors
I really like Mcrone would love him at the knights next year......... Under wayne i think he would be awesome

mongoose

Coach
Mclinden was wildly inconsistent but on his day he was easily better than McCrone. McCrone is probably a bit more consistent and you know what you will get with him most weeks. Mclinden could create tries out of nothing though.

Cryptic

Juniors
I really don't think so... McLinden had a much better team around him... Much more consistant, yet it was rare for him to stand out and I remember our attack in those days being even worse than it was at the end of this season...

I think it all boils down to experience and I can see McCrone doing more by the time he gets to the same age McLinden was at....

That said I still think McCrone is a possible answer for us at centre with a fit Campese and Williams in the side.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Mccrone out played everyone in our line up this year, better than maclinden? I'd say yes.

To be honest I'd rather mccrone and campo in the halves next year anyhow.