What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh McGuire

George Dragon

Juniors

NRL 2021: Josh McGuire opens up on his relationship with Dragons coach Anthony Griffin​

Josh McGuire sees Anthony Griffin as a bit of a father figure – but with parenthood comes discipline, and the Dragons prop has revealed the greatest spray he ever copped.

Nick Walshaw

5 min read
July 1, 2021 - 8:25AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

As Josh McGuire remembers it, he sauntered into day one of Brisbane U20s exactly like a schoolboy whose rap sheet reeked of booze and brawling.
At the time, he was 17.
“And already on my last chance with the Broncos,” he says.

“You might find this hard to believe but I was a bit of a rogue early on.
“I’d already been suspended for fighting, underage drinking – we probably don’t have time for each story but, yeah, this was my first day back in six months.”
Six months?
“I’d got caught at a Gold Coast strip club,” he cackles.
“Which isn’t great when you’re in high school.”
Josh McGuire in 2005 in his Australian representative gear.

McGuire in 2007 in his Broncos gear.

Worse too, when you initially try denying it.

But play?
Yeah, the kid could do that.
Which is why now, at this his first training sessions with Broncos U20s, McGuire made a beeline for his new coach – some fella named Anthony Griffin – to explain his offerings as a ballplaying edge forward.
“And back then, I really was considered a gun backrower,” McGuire insists.
“So I’ve rolled into training saying how I’m this and that, explaining everything I could do.
“But Hook, he just stared at me.
“Then eventually, says ‘mate, I think you’re a prop. So you can play prop, or you can f... off’.”
That was 13 winters ago.

The opening line to what has since become an enduring, if slightly unlikely friendship between two Queenslanders who, despite being separated by 24 years, and plenty more, have now suddenly reunited in not only a different city, or State, but a St George Illawarra side pushing for the most unlikely of NRL playoffs.
Which isn’t exactly a unique Wollongong yarn, right?
Or not when currently, the Dragons have no less than five faces — think McGuire, Corey Norman, Ben Hunt, Andrew McCullough and Tariq Sims — from that inaugural Broncos U20 team.
But Hook and Moose?
Undeniably, it’s a special bond.
For a start, know there isn’t anybody has copped more Griffin sprays than McGuire.
Yet know also this ageing NRL enforcer not only labels the coach who attended his wedding a “father figure”, or that advisor he’s continually sought over the years for advice on all things, but also a man he’s now moved his own young family 2000km for a reunion with.
“Because while I mightn’t always like what Hook says,” McGuire concedes, “I always need to hear it”.

But us?
We want to hear about the sprays.
Particularly one against Gold Coast U20s, which both Hunt and McCullough have told us was rolled gold.
“Was still fancying myself a ballplayer at that stage,” McGuire recounts.
“But that afternoon, I was having a shocker. So halftime comes and I cop it.”
At which point, this newest Dragon switches into a Griffin impersonation which, honed over a decade, and boasting slightly more drawl than growl, starts: “McGuire, if you f...ing pass one more f...ing time, f... it, you won’t be playing”.
So as for how the young Bronco responded?
“Like Dory in Finding Nemo,” he cackles. “Forgot everything.
“First touch after halftime, I’ve hurled this long ball to hit our winger. Instead, hit row three of the grandstand.
“So immediately I’m called to the sideline by our trainer, who whacks the headphones on me …”
Again, cue Hook impersonation.
“McGuire, if you don’t take 10 f...ing hit ups before this f...ing game is over, you aren’t playing for me.
“Ever. F...ing. Again.”
Then, clunk.
“So for the rest of that game I’m zinging around trying to make hit ups,” he laughs.
“Even got the ball once with a three-man overlap – and went myself.”
But as for his best NRL spray?
“Three years later,” he continues.
“Halftime of a preliminary final against Manly.

“Hook was into me, screaming about how the Sea Eagles forwards were … well, I can’t say exactly what he suggested they were doing to me, but it wasn’t good.”
Still, you want to know how much this bloke loves his coach?
When Griffin was eventually outed by Brisbane in 2014, and replaced by a returning Wayne Bennett, McGuire admits to being “heartbroken”.
“And I actually thought it was unfair,” he says.
“Because while we made a grand final the next year, Hook did a lot of the heavy lifting for that.”
Same deal McGuire’s career.
“Before meeting Hook, I thought I was a man,” the now 31-year-old continues.
“Thought being tough was drinking, fighting, taking somebody’s head off.
“But Hook, he taught me that being a man is being disciplined, consistent, and dedicated to a purpose.”
At which point the narks will note McGuire is coming off a five-week suspension.
“So, yeah, I still f... up every now and then,” he shrugs.
Josh McGuire and his father Adam.

“And Hook is the first one to kick my arse.”
Always has been.
“Growing up, my dad was away a lot with the army,” McGuire continues.
“So I had Hook.
“And while my old man, he’s amazing, Hook became that father figure who wouldn’t just kick my arse when I needed it, but would also give me a cuddle when I needed one of those too.”
But the real key?
“Personally, I’m built on emotion and trust,” the prop says.
“That’s how I play. What I react to.
“So I need to feel that emotion and trust coming back.”
Then when it does?
“Then,” McGuire says, “you’ve got a coach to bleed for”.
Dragons prop Josh McGuire carts the ball into the Warriors defence

Elsewhere, McGuire reveals that while reuniting with so many old Broncos has been “like a high school reunion”, his 13 winters of aggression have also produced a little, err, history with others.
“Even this year, before switching, Blake Lawrie and I were going at it in a game,” he laughs. “Blake, he kept saying I was over the hill.
“So I’ve turned and said ‘f... off Lawrie, Hook wants me at the club right now — and it’s to replace you’.
“So when I got signed, yeah, I wanted him thinking ‘shit what if it’s true?’.”
But now?
“A couple of boys have actually said I’m not as big a c..khead as they thought,” he grins. “So that’s nice.”
Currently signed until the end of 2022, McGuire isn’t sure if he will try to play on with St George Illawarra beyond next year, or even what life post football will bring.

Gareth67

First Grade
So he had direct orders not to pass and he passed immediately. Watch him come out on Friday and hit someone in the head with a swinging arm.

Everything will be O.K g.c.dragon , Griffin has told him to come out swinging - reverse psychology , hopefully it will work on him .

blacksafake

First Grade

NRL 2021: Josh McGuire opens up on his relationship with Dragons coach Anthony Griffin​

Josh McGuire sees Anthony Griffin as a bit of a father figure – but with parenthood comes discipline, and the Dragons prop has revealed the greatest spray he ever copped.

Nick Walshaw

5 min read
July 1, 2021 - 8:25AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

As Josh McGuire remembers it, he sauntered into day one of Brisbane U20s exactly like a schoolboy whose rap sheet reeked of booze and brawling.
At the time, he was 17.
“And already on my last chance with the Broncos,” he says.

“You might find this hard to believe but I was a bit of a rogue early on.
“I’d already been suspended for fighting, underage drinking – we probably don’t have time for each story but, yeah, this was my first day back in six months.”
Six months?
“I’d got caught at a Gold Coast strip club,” he cackles.
“Which isn’t great when you’re in high school.”

Worse too, when you initially try denying it.

But play?
Yeah, the kid could do that.
Which is why now, at this his first training sessions with Broncos U20s, McGuire made a beeline for his new coach – some fella named Anthony Griffin – to explain his offerings as a ballplaying edge forward.
“And back then, I really was considered a gun backrower,” McGuire insists.
“So I’ve rolled into training saying how I’m this and that, explaining everything I could do.
“But Hook, he just stared at me.
“Then eventually, says ‘mate, I think you’re a prop. So you can play prop, or you can f... off’.”
That was 13 winters ago.

The opening line to what has since become an enduring, if slightly unlikely friendship between two Queenslanders who, despite being separated by 24 years, and plenty more, have now suddenly reunited in not only a different city, or State, but a St George Illawarra side pushing for the most unlikely of NRL playoffs.
Which isn’t exactly a unique Wollongong yarn, right?
Or not when currently, the Dragons have no less than five faces — think McGuire, Corey Norman, Ben Hunt, Andrew McCullough and Tariq Sims — from that inaugural Broncos U20 team.
But Hook and Moose?
Undeniably, it’s a special bond.
For a start, know there isn’t anybody has copped more Griffin sprays than McGuire.
Yet know also this ageing NRL enforcer not only labels the coach who attended his wedding a “father figure”, or that advisor he’s continually sought over the years for advice on all things, but also a man he’s now moved his own young family 2000km for a reunion with.
“Because while I mightn’t always like what Hook says,” McGuire concedes, “I always need to hear it”.

But us?
We want to hear about the sprays.
Particularly one against Gold Coast U20s, which both Hunt and McCullough have told us was rolled gold.
“Was still fancying myself a ballplayer at that stage,” McGuire recounts.
“But that afternoon, I was having a shocker. So halftime comes and I cop it.”
At which point, this newest Dragon switches into a Griffin impersonation which, honed over a decade, and boasting slightly more drawl than growl, starts: “McGuire, if you f...ing pass one more f...ing time, f... it, you won’t be playing”.
So as for how the young Bronco responded?
“Like Dory in Finding Nemo,” he cackles. “Forgot everything.
“First touch after halftime, I’ve hurled this long ball to hit our winger. Instead, hit row three of the grandstand.
“So immediately I’m called to the sideline by our trainer, who whacks the headphones on me …”
Again, cue Hook impersonation.
“McGuire, if you don’t take 10 f...ing hit ups before this f...ing game is over, you aren’t playing for me.
“Ever. F...ing. Again.”
Then, clunk.
“So for the rest of that game I’m zinging around trying to make hit ups,” he laughs.
“Even got the ball once with a three-man overlap – and went myself.”
But as for his best NRL spray?
“Three years later,” he continues.
“Halftime of a preliminary final against Manly.

“Hook was into me, screaming about how the Sea Eagles forwards were … well, I can’t say exactly what he suggested they were doing to me, but it wasn’t good.”
Still, you want to know how much this bloke loves his coach?
When Griffin was eventually outed by Brisbane in 2014, and replaced by a returning Wayne Bennett, McGuire admits to being “heartbroken”.
“And I actually thought it was unfair,” he says.
“Because while we made a grand final the next year, Hook did a lot of the heavy lifting for that.”
Same deal McGuire’s career.
“Before meeting Hook, I thought I was a man,” the now 31-year-old continues.
“Thought being tough was drinking, fighting, taking somebody’s head off.
“But Hook, he taught me that being a man is being disciplined, consistent, and dedicated to a purpose.”
At which point the narks will note McGuire is coming off a five-week suspension.
“So, yeah, I still f... up every now and then,” he shrugs.

“And Hook is the first one to kick my arse.”
Always has been.
“Growing up, my dad was away a lot with the army,” McGuire continues.
“So I had Hook.
“And while my old man, he’s amazing, Hook became that father figure who wouldn’t just kick my arse when I needed it, but would also give me a cuddle when I needed one of those too.”
But the real key?
“Personally, I’m built on emotion and trust,” the prop says.
“That’s how I play. What I react to.
“So I need to feel that emotion and trust coming back.”
Then when it does?
“Then,” McGuire says, “you’ve got a coach to bleed for”.

Elsewhere, McGuire reveals that while reuniting with so many old Broncos has been “like a high school reunion”, his 13 winters of aggression have also produced a little, err, history with others.
“Even this year, before switching, Blake Lawrie and I were going at it in a game,” he laughs. “Blake, he kept saying I was over the hill.
“So I’ve turned and said ‘f... off Lawrie, Hook wants me at the club right now — and it’s to replace you’.
“So when I got signed, yeah, I wanted him thinking ‘shit what if it’s true?’.”
But now?
“A couple of boys have actually said I’m not as big a c..khead as they thought,” he grins. “So that’s nice.”
Currently signed until the end of 2022, McGuire isn’t sure if he will try to play on with St George Illawarra beyond next year, or even what life post football will bring.

Very good read.
Thanks George.

BLM01

First Grade
Well Griffin with todays youth and PC world would have to change his tact on getting the message across and through.
I am sure he has learned after his Penrith & Brisbane stint
Great open read

This bloke's old man is a digger but he needed Hook to tell him that being a man involves being disciplined, consistent, and dedicated to a purpose? Poor old Moose isn't the sharpest tool in the shed...

Anyways, he's a f**king grub. But he's our f**king grub now!

I actually thought he was one of the reasons in that later stage of the game we got going.
He ran from dummy half a bit and got us over the advantage line and DeBelin played off that.
Passing game not the best from there but running game was good.

Latest posts