What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Schuster

shiloh dc

Juniors
Saints should pull out all stops to sign Josh Schuster from Manly to play 5/8 - his preferred position. We need his size and skillset. It doesn't matter that he is currently signed until 2024 - if assertions made at time of signing his contract have not been met (and it appears they haven't) then he has a legal right to break his contract. I would love to see the Schu on the other foot- ball team!

thebigredv

First Grade
I can see Schuster having a bright future and worth consideration for sure. He does some special footy-smart things and plays with ease at times.

For now I like Amone as a 14, can come on with great utility value and fresh legs against tired ones. I can see what Griffin was thinking in putting Bird in there at this point of the season although that has an expiry date.

The sticking point for mine is we are still yet to see Sullivan get his shot, mostly thanks to ongoing injury. Everyone knows of Sullivan's potential but it still remains an idea rather than a reality. I'm feeling his re-entry to first grade is only a couple weeks away. From there we can see what we are working with. No one can say with certainty that Sullivan is the answer at 6 but hopefully it is. Feels like years he has been injured.

Why we didn't have a go at Smith or Mahoney for hooker is the one I question.

Dragon David

First Grade
I can see Schuster having a bright future and worth consideration for sure. He does some special footy-smart things and plays with ease at times.

For now I like Amone as a 14, can come on with great utility value and fresh legs against tired ones. I can see what Griffin was thinking in putting Bird in there at this point of the season although that has an expiry date.

The sticking point for mine is we are still yet to see Sullivan get his shot, mostly thanks to ongoing injury. Everyone knows of Sullivan's potential but it still remains an idea rather than a reality. I'm feeling his re-entry to first grade is only a couple weeks away. From there we can see what we are working with. No one can say with certainty that Sullivan is the answer at 6 but hopefully it is. Feels like years he has been injured.

Why we didn't have a go at Smith or Mahoney for hooker is the one I question.
Bud Sullivan is an enigma in that he presents us with a major conundrum because of his high rate of injuries. He remains a continuous mystery as to when he will be playing in first grade mainly because after he recovers from his injuries while playing for reserves he gets back playing again in reserves and then gets injured again and the cycle keeps going. Maybe next time he recovers from injury he starts in first grade without another stint in reserves to break this cycle.

In the case of Schuster, I don't think that he is the answer for us. Amone will develop and his heart is with the Dragons and I keep saying that we need guys who are proud Red V men.

justadragon

Bench
Bud Sullivan is an enigma in that he presents us with a major conundrum because of his high rate of injuries. He remains a continuous mystery as to when he will be playing in first grade mainly because after he recovers from his injuries while playing for reserves he gets back playing again in reserves and then gets injured again and the cycle keeps going. Maybe next time he recovers from injury he starts in first grade without another stint in reserves to break this cycle.

In the case of Schuster, I don't think that he is the answer for us. Amone will develop and his heart is with the Dragons and I keep saying that we need guys who are proud Red V men.
Agree with your thoughts DD, Sullivan was caught with poor technique trying to tackle a big bopper, something that can and should be rectified because he will need that good technique in the NRL no question, one thing I cant fault with him is that he is fearless maybe to his own detriment at the moment.

Dragon David

First Grade
Good player but for the last month supporters on here have been screaming for our juniors in Amone, Bud & Sloan to be selected worried that they’ll ask for a release.
Now people want to sign Schuster to play 6 ahead of Amone & Bud.
FTR I’d sign Schuster but as a ball playing back rower.
So true blacksafake about the three amigos. There is no reason to go for Schuster when we haven't even had the three young guys play in first grade to see how they will go. I would say that they would do splendidly BUT they have all got to be ready and fit and injury free.

Schuster won't go anywhere unless he is guaranteed a 5/8th spot. I think that he will stay at the Sea Eagles in the back row and fill in for Foran if he gets injured. When Foran decides to hang up his boots, Schuster might be moved to 5/8th.

Dragons4me

Juniors

True but Bud plays above his weight. He often puts his body on the line in both defence and setting up the attack and that's why he gets injured. So how does he taper his playing style to give him some hope of longevity in the game? I honestly can't wait to see he, Junior and Tyrell get more than one game together in the top grade. Put them behind our pack and watch them go.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
True but Bud plays above his weight. He often puts his body on the line in both defence and setting up the attack and that's why he gets injured. So how does he taper his playing style to give him some hope of longevity in the game? I honestly can't wait to see he, Junior and Tyrell get more than one game together in the top grade. Put them behind our pack and watch them go.
That is an awesome thought. Imagine playing first grade footy week-in-week-out with the guys who have been your best mates since you were about 7 or 8, coming through the ranks together and all. That's a dream right there

Dragon David

First Grade
That is an awesome thought. Imagine playing first grade footy week-in-week-out with the guys who have been your best mates since you were about 7 or 8, coming through the ranks together and all. That's a dream right there
This is what we have been waiting for. Please let it happen.
Bud is the man which we are all waiting for. He does give it all and will be the one to lead us one day to the premiership we deserve.

dungay dragon

Juniors
AND his manager is threatening that he MUST play 5/8 ! We have Amone, Sullivan & Mbye to fill that role ! ( noticed i didn't nominate Bird ! ) Just glad fans don't run our recruitment.
Am all for our Juniors getting an opportunity in top grade providing they are playing at that level most weeks
Schuster is an amazing talent , highly skilled and potentially one of the best ball players in the NRL ..something we desperately need esp from a forward perspective
Would disregard the 5/8 threat and just throw some decent cash at him
With simms going and off loading a number on the one year contracts should be suffice to offer him an attractive salary , if he genuinely wants to leave Brookvale
He may get some time at 6 but much prefer in back row
As for Bird , am more than happy with his form at 6 , and stiffening up our defence , and Junior for the time being at 14 ..
Gives us an extra edge in attack when he comes on

kit66

Bench
You'd think Desi would know a good half when he sees one. If he's not giving Schuster the 6 jersey it's either because he's not that sure Schu is a 5/8 or he's happy with Foran or he needs a ball player in the forwards. I must say Schuster's form has dropped of late, he looks a little disinterested, or maybe I'm misreading things. A year or so ago I would have said sign him up.
We have Amone and Bud to come through and I'm happy with that. Schuster in the 2nd row though I could live with, skilled forwards are essential these days.

Trifili13

Juniors
You'd think Desi would know a good half when he sees one. If he's not giving Schuster the 6 jersey it's either because he's not that sure Schu is a 5/8 or he's happy with Foran or he needs a ball player in the forwards. I must say Schuster's form has dropped of late, he looks a little disinterested, or maybe I'm misreading things. A year or so ago I would have said sign him up.
We have Amone and Bud to come through and I'm happy with that. Schuster in the 2nd row though I could live with, skilled forwards are essential these days.
Agree. We should be giving Amone and Bud a fair crack before we discard them or recruit others.

Only joking here but just because Dessie was a half doesn't mean he can spot one. The Maestro was also a test centre but persisted with Aitken. Also, Dessie's current halves combination is doing the job and also Josh being out, so no need for him to make changes.

be55

Juniors
You'd think Desi would know a good half when he sees one. If he's not giving Schuster the 6 jersey it's either because he's not that sure Schu is a 5/8 or he's happy with Foran or he needs a ball player in the forwards. I must say Schuster's form has dropped of late, he looks a little disinterested, or maybe I'm misreading things.
Schuster hasn't played a game all year...he was injured pre-season...It looks like he might play Friday night if Hasler selects him in the 17