What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Journo's criticising the Fans...

getsmarty

Immortal
Just a note to the journo's who are having a go at the fans.

1/. We pay good money for a product. If the product is faulty we have a right to complain.

2/. There is no game without the Fans....take the fans out of the equation and who are the players playing for ? Who are you Journo's writing for ?

I have been following my team for decades....I have never been at the point where the game no longer gives me any enjoyment. That's why we watch sport is it not ?

I have pretty much had a gut-full. If there is a mass exodus of fans from the game, then maybe just maybe, you will get the message that No Fans = Inferior revenue and therefore product.

Have a think about that before you fire your misdirected comments at the consumer.....

gitano

Juniors
It's more complex than many realise. The convenient stance for journo's is to call supporters fickle, unwilling to ride out the tough stuff and so on.

The latter can be said about the players. When I played, which was pretty recently, if someone got benched or dropped they went away to prove the coach wrong. Now players are straight onto their manager to get them out of there. Nobody wants to work hard anymore, it's this little bitch of a generation.

Fans spend their hard earned to line these guys pockets. I'm sure I speak for many when I say that I don't care if we lose a few as long as they're having a dig. From the outside looking in, they aren't.

Journo's are a dying breed as it is. With people now having access to so much more, you'd think they would want to keep some fans onside.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
It's more complex than many realise. The convenient stance for journo's is to call supporters fickle, unwilling to ride out the tough stuff and so on.

The latter can be said about the players. When I played, which was pretty recently, if someone got benched or dropped they went away to prove the coach wrong. Now players are straight onto their manager to get them out of there. Nobody wants to work hard anymore, it's this little bitch of a generation.

Fans spend their hard earned to line these guys pockets. I'm sure I speak for many when I say that I don't care if we lose a few as long as they're having a dig. From the outside looking in, they aren't.

Journo's are a dying breed as it is. With people now having access to so much more, you'd think they would want to keep some fans onside.

You also forgot to add a bout journos about the game they would actually be able to dissect and analyse game and players now they are glorified gossip columnists

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think it’s also a case of the boy who cried wolf..

So many times over the years our fans go militant over issues that any time dragons fans fire up, the media take thre attitude of “Awww.. The Dragons fans aren’t happy again.. How cute..”

But yes, do also agree with the sentiment that Journos are glorified gossip columnists these days..

I blame the internet for that.. Go back to the days when you had Big League and RLW and only a single TV show as the dedicated league media, and the overall coverage was limited, so you had to pick only the better quality stuff to cover..

These days you have multiple league sites, digital news columns, plenty of footy shows and those writing the news are looking for any craps to fill the air, not to mention the worst stuff of all - rumours & click bait..

Crush

Coach
The rumours and click bait are one thing but some of the real stories they write are just plain moronic.
The article yesterday that Cam McInnes gave the players a spray? WTF?
How is that even a story? I would hope captains, coaches and senior players are regularly firing up their fellow players and calling them out for weak effort areas.

Paddles

Juniors
I heard Kent, Hooper, Ginnane and Tallis on MMM yesterday talking about this. They invited callers to discuss the problems. Then they provided a protection racket for Mary turning every issue into something beyond his control.

One caller mentioned that they fade midseason every year, and that Mary had promised to get it right year after year. This it became a discussion about how other teams go ok notwithstanding origin reps, and Hunt should have refused to be rested last week. No actual interrogation of the fact that he has failed year on year.

Another caller mentioned the back five not being up to scratch. Their excuses included 'well Mary doesn't do recruitment!' (with of course no mention of the fact he had this responsibility taken off him for failing in that department, or his inherent conservatism and not giving the likes of Lomax, Garrick, Herbert, Milne others a run). They then lamented the lack of 'big bodies' in the back 5. Someone sheepishly mentioned the size of Ravalawa before they moved on...

Then it was that players' fault, particularly forwards (who they all agree are great on paper) for not doing the job. If the players are great on paper then it is clearly an issue of leadership and motivation. They always come of the sheds in the second half worse than the first, right after a motivational talk from the Maestro.

Finally they discussed the 'cutthroat fans' and how the board needed to 'hold their nerve' on Tuesday and stick with Mary. This is such lazy analysis. You (we) all are pretty hopeless cutthroats if you couldn't get rid of Doust for 2 decades or Mary for six years and counting.

We're stuck in a dank pool of conservatism without leadership. Mary is lacking confidence - you can see the fear in interviews now that some of the arrogance has finally washed away. It's a terrible feeling knowing that if (as happened last year in the Brisbane final) he throws his hands in the air and players ad-lib a win or two, he'll keep the job and prolong the pain. The only way out seems via the spoon.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
There is a player in my local area who used to play hooker for the Dragons and now coaches a team, and I had a few beers with him one day and he did tell me the Dragons have the worst fans. He said a lot of players don’t want to come to the Dragons because the fans are at their throats after 2 losses. He reckons that other clubs he’s played at the pressure is still there but the fans are not as “toxic” as he put it.
I actually remember Trent Barratt saying similar when he left for the Sharks that the pressure was off now so to speak.
I really don’t know what the point of my comment is but at least some ex players feel our fans are a bit harsh, although at the moment you could say it’s justified. We are probably 70% the team that won in 2010 on paper but 20% in performance.

BLM01

First Grade

This is correct especially the 1st statement
For those old enough to remember you supported your side through thick & thin but accepted say back in the 70's & 80's a few years of failure. In a 12 team comp God poor Bears, Magpies, Parra, Newtown & Penrith supporters went through periods of being easy beats for years and some and still turned up to games for 3 grades and did not whinge as much as we do today.
This demand for successful seasons (it is a sport dont forget) every year is not reality and the media and NRL play a huge part of the curent furore that goes on.
The fact that they have shunned lower grades to oblivion, professionalism, (turned it into a business in lieu of fun sport), games leaders, media and player managers have promoted a premium only product and anything lower is not worth covering which is BS.
That includes NRL teams with who are not given even playing fields in respect to home ground adavantages, TV exposure and crowd friendly time slots.
Journos are a dying breed..but so is the sport to a point that they so cling onto and ride upon because of greed.

league

Juniors
There is a player in my local area who used to play hooker for the Dragons and now coaches a team, and I had a few beers with him one day and he did tell me the Dragons have the worst fans. He said a lot of players don’t want to come to the Dragons because the fans are at their throats after 2 losses. He reckons that other clubs he’s played at the pressure is still there but the fans are not as “toxic” as he put it.
I actually remember Trent Barratt saying similar when he left for the Sharks that the pressure was off now so to speak.
I really don’t know what the point of my comment is but at least some ex players feel our fans are a bit harsh, although at the moment you could say it’s justified. We are probably 70% the team that won in 2010 on paper but 20% in performance.

George Ndaira?

If they can't handle criticism they shouldn't be playing for us.

st.phil

Bench
I don't buy the dragons toxic pressure line 100%. Sure - passionate supporters but the facts are many of said supporters have witnessed the club lurch from financial difficulty, to administrative / BOD incompetence and cronyism highlighted in a string of under qualified local favourite head coach appointments. I think only Parra rivals us for poor footy club management when stacked up over the years.

denis preston

First Grade

This was just about your best post !

possm

Coach
This is correct especially the 1st statement
For those old enough to remember you supported your side through thick & thin but accepted say back in the 70's & 80's a few years of failure. In a 12 team comp God poor Bears, Magpies, Parra, Newtown & Penrith supporters went through periods of being easy beats for years and some and still turned up to games for 3 grades and did not whinge as much as we do today.
This demand for successful seasons (it is a sport dont forget) every year is not reality and the media and NRL play a huge part of the curent furore that goes on.
The fact that they have shunned lower grades to oblivion, professionalism, (turned it into a business in lieu of fun sport), games leaders, media and player managers have promoted a premium only product and anything lower is not worth covering which is BS.
That includes NRL teams with who are not given even playing fields in respect to home ground adavantages, TV exposure and crowd friendly time slots.
Journos are a dying breed..but so is the sport to a point that they so cling onto and ride upon because of greed.
As far as the team is concerned, I did not feel the frustration in 2009/10 when Bennett was coach. I can say that I felt frustration on a few occasions when Brown was coach but nothing like what I felt during the Price/Mary era. I suppose that when we see such obvious coaching errors/mistakes that seem to have a great influence on the outcome of a game, the frustration is there and grows rapidly if it continues to occur.

since77

Juniors
These "journalists" are just tabloid hacks. I watched Dean Ritchie call distressed fans "ignorant" a few days ago. What a waste of space he is.
Not one of these "journalists" has bothered researching the key areas McGregor fails in year in, year out.
Conservative team selections (particularly bench and outside backs) , poor use of interchange, consistent long losing streaks each year of his tenure, lack of a game plan, lack of urgency when there is a contest for the ball (or as Mary calls it, "unfortunate tries off kicks"), failure to manage representative players workloads, failure to manage mental and physical fatigue during a game, failure to bring promising juniors through when they're ready and with more upside than the incumbents.
Things smart students of the game have been talking about for years.
I have no problem when the team loses but plays with pride and to its potential. This team plays with no pride and is a rabble. The coach is solely responsible for this, even a tabloid hack should be able to see it.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
As far as the team is concerned, I did not feel the frustration in 2009/10 when Bennett was coach. I can say that I felt frustration on a few occasions when Brown was coach but nothing like what I felt during the Price/Mary era. I suppose that when we see such obvious coaching errors/mistakes that seem to have a great influence on the outcome of a game, the frustration is there and grows rapidly if it continues to occur.
We had a very good team though for a very long time during Browny's era, we were perennial underachievers. We were chock full of origin starts, with Gaz, Cooper, Creagh, Ryles the Morris Brothers, Soward, Barrett, Gypsy, Simon Woolford the list goes on. We really should have won a GF with that team. Bennett come in and added a few hard heads in Smith, Scott and Costigan and put the polish on it to win a much needed GF. But I still remember the down with Brown signs and the slapping incident ;-)

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Aaron Gorrell?
No not Goz, I have had a few with him though, good fella. Im not playing guessing games I'm just telling a story he considers himself more a Broncos player, even though he's a local junior. I have tried fishing but he never even mentions the Dragons.