What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JT feeling the pressure already

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Looks like JT is feeling the pressure already after last week's capitulation.

He's spent most of the pre-match press conference today whinging about the draw, and how it's unfair that we have to play the Bulldogs twice in such a short space of time.

While I agree that the draw is stupid and should be more evenly spread out, why on earth is he talking about this now? The draw has been known for months. He didn't say anything about it when it was released, did he?

That fact is that all teams are good enough to win on their day. The whole 'we should've played a lesser team' is a load of crap. If you're good enough you beat whoever is there on the day and we haven't been good enough to beat Canberra and a depleted Bulldogs team.

If we didn't give up two 20 point leads we are equal first, simple as that.

These comments have a defeatist attitude about them, I don't like it one bit. Very poor form.

I suppose it wouldn't make sense bitching about playing Canterbury twice in four or five weeks when you're about to play Canberra or Brisbane.

I do agree the timing of the whinge is f**ked though for the reason that if anything the draw has kissed us on the arse playing the Bulldogs early on. They're missing key players both times we've drawn them. We're more likely to beat them missing key players than with them when they'll inevitably get them back.

Tigers Tale

Juniors

He's spent most of the pre-match press conference today whinging about the draw, and how it's unfair that we have to play the Bulldogs twice in such a short space of time.

While I agree that the draw is stupid and should be more evenly spread out, why on earth is he talking about this now? The draw has been known for months. He didn't say anything about it when it was released, did he?

That fact is that all teams are good enough to win on their day. The whole 'we should've played a lesser team' is a load of crap. If you're good enough you beat whoever is there on the day and we haven't been good enough to beat Canberra and a depleted Bulldogs team.

These comments have a defeatist attitude about them, I don't like it one bit. Very poor form.

100% correct....

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The comments are entirely childish and pathetic.

He's been great with the media til now.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
He has a perfectly good point - it's stupid to play twice against the same team in a month. The draw is a mess.

I think JT will be a very good coach. This side is still not his side. I still think he picks 3-4 players every week in the 17 that would not be anywhere near most NRL sides but does he have any better players to choose?

The draw does appear weird but he should be thinking we should have beat the dogs a few weeks ago and now we can go and bury them this week, they are a very beatable side.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Just seen it on the news. Came across as a massive sook.

'Why can't we face a lesser team? We could have been higher on the ladder......'

Hybrid is right about the defeatist attitude. What message does it send to the players. Basically giving them permission to lose.

gronkathon

First Grade
Maybe it will work to motivate the team. Simply implying they are not good enough to beat the Dogs

It doesn't look good though.

simmo1

First Grade
Its a terrible look, however he has a point. It really isn't that hard to spread the draw out a bit, and there is no real reason why the NRL don't do it.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I feel like everyone is reading into this too much. Reporters ask leading questions that put coaches in positions to say things like this.
e.g. "Despite the loss, what do you think of the draw? Could it be better?" etc. He may have explained that there were no excuses but then also given his thoughts on the draw.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I think JT will be a very good coach. This side is still not his side. I still think he picks 3-4 players every week in the 17 that would not be anywhere near most NRL sides but does he have any better players to choose?

The draw does appear weird but he should be thinking we should have beat the dogs a few weeks ago and now we can go and bury them this week, they are a very beatable side.

Complete agree with this. Our inability to grind out wins comes from panic in my view. Lack of confidence in the players alongside you. Thats not when the starting side are out there, there is a different mentality when Woods and Galloway are off. They seem to be off together very often.

At one point last Sunday we had a bench of Farah, Woods, Galloway and one other Lovett I think.

You cannot play so short on experience (particularly in the forwards) and hope to compete

There's room for some explosive edge runners on the bench in my view. Sue should play front row and Akaoula should trade time with Lovett. He's shown enough raw talent at NRL level given limited opportunities

Mario chalmers

Juniors

At first I didn't like these comments but it has distracted the media a little. If it wasnt for his rant then the questions would have been directed towards "mounting pressure on your young halves given you've lost 2 in a row." If his intention was to distract the journos he's done well.

TYGA

Juniors
JT is on the money here. In my view we started easy with GC (AWAY), STGI (Home).
We then had a 5 day turnaround to lay Last years Premiers (Rabbits), then a 5 day turnaround to play the runners up (Bulldogs). We then got lucky with an 8 day turnaround to play the Eeels (AWAy) but moved to ANZ. We then get the Warriors in NZ on a 5 day turnaround. We get lucky to get Raiders at home but lose then get the Bulldogs on a 5 day turnaround.

I can't be bothered by I would like to see the differential in recovery days for our direct competitors each week. This is the bigger issue.

This is all about the bailout package we are getting bent over because we are on the NRL payroll.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it were a team that we beat first time around i bet he wouldn't have complained about the draw.

And after last season, i don't know that there truly was a lesser team than the one who had the worst defence.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
He has a perfectly good point - it's stupid to play twice against the same team in a month. The draw is a mess.

He should have made these comments when the draw was made, then they would have been completely fair and justified. Not a day before the game, it just comes across as defeatist and sounds like he is using it as an excuse.

chopsy_05

Juniors
If you were going to whinge about the draw you'd whinge about the fact that the tigers are one of two teams that don't get a bye prior to an origin game. That means we have 3 games that we will be without Farah and Woods (pending selection). All our byes are the weekend after origin where they are eligible to play. Even the Warriors get a bye prior to origin.

macnaz

Staff member
If you were going to whinge about the draw you'd whinge about the fact that the tigers are one of two teams that don't get a bye prior to an origin game. That means we have 3 games that we will be without Farah and Woods (pending selection). All our byes are the weekend after origin where they are eligible to play. Even the Warriors get a bye prior to origin.

They may be in our favour if we are playing sides short of stars