What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

June 30 now 1st Aug

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Reckon that’s what’s happening with Cam Smith and the tits.... they have 550k left on their salary cap and he values himself at a mill. Should be right to go around round 12 for them.

Special K

Coach
What a f**king zoo. The players run this league.

We can't have a window for free agents like every other league because the players kids need to know what school they'll be at.

We can't cut contracts because every NRL deal is guaranteed. Yet the clubs are the ones who aren't loyal not the players who try and get better pay days and force themselves out of contracts.

Now players can change clubs 6 weeks before the finals for a cut rate deal. f**k off.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Anyone knows how many elite players were in last years bottom 8? Elite money wise that is, not influence wise or results wise.

Blokes like Ben Hunt, Ash Taylor etc

Frenzy.

Immortal
Hang on though. What if the player bought is contracted beyond 2021? If he's bought at a nominal value because he'll only play a few games does he go back to his club to get back on a million bux or does the club who pinches have to keep him and blow their cap?

What a potential mess.

I'd appreciate the NRL coming out with a statement on this as I don't really believe that lush with the pomegranate for a head has told the whole story.

AJB1102

First Grade
Yeah thats horse shit. Paul Kent the dumb merkin the Origin hooker is probably:

1. playing finals
2. contracted beyond current season
3. not being released from that contract

It won't have bottom 8 sides raided. For example if Jahrome Hughes went down why would a bloke like Luke Brooks, Ash Taylor, Bent Hunt request a release from a large multi year deal to go to Storm for a month?

It'll only happen if the team getting the player in late is interested beyond this finals series. In which case its same as normal.

AJB1102

First Grade

R-15-3

Bench
What incentive is there for the million dollar man to leave his million dollar deal for a $160k 6 week gig?
Who is giving him money after the finals?
You reckon his club he quit 6 weeks ago offers him his million dollar deal back?
A player won’t just leave a contract for 6 weeks no but if they can get a new deal for next season + 6 games makes it very tempting.
Will have ramifications all over the place, say we think we can go all the way this year sitting up the top of the ladder at the back end of the season but lack 1 spot, do we f**k our next year’s salary cap up to lure a player on a multi year + 6 week deal? The player gets a good chance of a premiership so does the club or against us, say Woods has his best ever season and best prop in the NRL ( yea won’t happen) and we are out of the 8 contention mid contract negotiations for next year close to extending but the option to go 6 weeks early to the roosters makes the negotiations harder etc. All round makes it an unfair playing ground that will benefit certain teams.

AJB1102

First Grade
A player won’t just leave a contract for 6 weeks no but if they can get a new deal for next season + 6 games makes it very tempting.
Will have ramifications all over the place, say we think we can go all the way this year sitting up the top of the ladder at the back end of the season but lack 1 spot, do we f**k our next year’s salary cap up to lure a player on a multi year + 6 week deal? The player gets a good chance of a premiership so does the club or against us, say Woods has his best ever season and best prop in the NRL ( yea won’t happen) and we are out of the 8 contention mid contract negotiations for next year close to extending but the option to go 6 weeks early to the roosters makes the negotiations harder etc. All round makes it an unfair playing ground that will benefit certain teams.

But players don't break contract to sign a 1 year deal. We wouldn't be f**king next year's cap we'd be f**king up 3-4 years cap. I'd hope we wouldn't and I don't believe teams who'd make shit decisions like that would be sitting up top. You just don't fluke it to being a good chance if you still lack something a bottom 8 side has.

If we got the best prop I'm shocked we're not in finals contention 4 weeks out. Unless the Roosters already wanted him for next year they're not gonna pull a 2 or 3 year best prop in the game money contract out of nowhere to maybe win the comp. If he was close to extending our offer is good, Roosters would have to offer similar. He'd take 3 years guaranteed over a $160k, possible premiership ring someone else did the heavy lifting for for 20 weeks and no certainty beyond whenever Roosters season ends.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Here's another scenario based on ignorance because I don't understand the rule. Makes it more pharqued. There is no mention if it is limited to one player.

Someone is 6 point clears in July. Gonna be top 4. Melbourne crash and will not be in the semis. Hooker go down, 5/8 goes down. Thanks very much we'll have Munster and Grant for the finals please. HAHAHAH What a rort.

What if a team has a Chad quality goal kicker? That person is only at 70% come July. A semi bound team could even consider just bringing in a gun goal kicker from a nuffy team!

Frenzy.

Immortal
It sounds a lot like a loan system actually. May be an extension of what happened last year but poorly communicated

ghoti

Bench
Jesus is everyone really that daft? Every scenario mentioned here is almost certain not to happen, and it's seriously exactly the same but with four weeks difference. There's no resemblance to a last minute loan system at all...it would be picking up an entirely new contract the same as it is now.

Yeah there's a chance of the SBW being repeated...but that happened this year with exemptions so it's no different.

Maybe it's true that richer clubs in the top 4 are mooost likely to dip into the bottom 8 for support come finals, but I doubt many will in the end.

Imo the benefit of this will be for mid-tier players and clubs... You'll see things like the Blake Green to Newcastle switch happen for the team running 7th limping into the finals.

It's really nothing to worry about and the journos who threw these scenarios up for clicks need a slap behind the head.

AJB1102

First Grade
Jesus is everyone really that daft? Every scenario mentioned here is almost certain not to happen, and it's seriously exactly the same but with four weeks difference. There's no resemblance to a last minute loan system at all...it would be picking up an entirely new contract the same as it is now.

Yeah there's a chance of the SBW being repeated...but that happened this year with exemptions so it's no different.

Maybe it's true that richer clubs in the top 4 are mooost likely to dip into the bottom 8 for support come finals, but I doubt many will in the end.

Imo the benefit of this will be for mid-tier players and clubs... You'll see things like the Blake Green to Newcastle switch happen for the team running 7th limping into the finals.

It's really nothing to worry about and the journos who threw these scenarios up for clicks need a slap behind the head.

Thank you! I started to think I was missing something because it seemed pretty bloody obvious to me.

The mid-tier signing that used to see clubs sign in a Bryson Goodwin on a min wage for rest of this year and next after 3 outside backs are injured used to need to happen by June 30. Now its 1st August.

Latest posts