What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Amone

For once we retained a player and it has bitten us well and truly on the arse.

I wonder if Mr Burns found out about this stuff and then went cold on any further pursuit of Amone?

Would have been a nice stitch up for the Dolphin's inaugural season.
It’s a terrible event for your club on top of your injured list and other concerns.

But it’s not an own goal if you understand me.

All levels of the club and player group would be disappointed and some would be very angry.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
The impotent performance on the weekend is further proof Amone should be sacked to free up salary cap to pursue someone else.

I’m amazed the club didn’t learn from the De Belin debacle that keeping unavailable players around while they wait for a court date is not conducive to success.

I miss the days when the club employed a “no dickhead policy” and the worst scandal was Trent Barrett doing push-ups in his underwear.

SnowDragon

Juniors

Legal twist could result in Amone making shock return for Dragons​

by Adrian Proszenko, smh.com.au
March 1, 2023 01:00 PM
Suspended St George Illawarra playmaker Talatau “Junior” Amone is seeking immediate reinstatement over claims he should no longer be bound by the NRL’s no-fault stand down rule due to the way his case will now be prosecuted.
Amone has been unavailable for selection since he was charged over an alleged hammer attack on a roofing contractor in November. The case of the Dragons five-eighth - who was charged with reckless grievous bodily harm in company, destroying property and intimidation - was mentioned in Wollongong Local Court on Wednesday.
Under the NRL’s rules, players charged with an offence carrying a maximum prison term of 11 years or more are automatically stood down until their court proceedings are finalised.
That was initially the case for Amone, who was facing the prospect of being behind bars for up to 14 years if the more serious grievous bodily harm charge was dealt with in the district court.

However, police confirmed on Wednesday the case would be prosecuted in the local court, where the maximum sentence available for the charge is just two years. Even if convicted of all charges, the maximum sentence available to the court is now only five years.
Amone’s high-profile lawyer, Elias Tabchouri, is taking immediate steps to lobby the NRL’s integrity unit to change its stance and allow his client to play immediately.
1677698276127.jpeg
Junior Amone could make an unexpected return to NRL duties.Credit:GettyPhoto by: Getty
“I have been a strong advocate for the NRL integrity unit to exercise the discretion they inherently have in dealing with these matters on a case-by-case basis,” Tabchouri told the Herald.
“I believe they should exercise their discretion in this circumstance to allow Mr Amone to rejoin his team and continue with his career.
“He is stood down now in a circumstance where the 14-year sentence doesn’t apply and we are still maintaining his right to defend the matter. He is also maintaining his innocence.

“I’ve found the NRL integrity commission to be open and receptive in all of my dealings with them and hope they will again remain open to discussion in this instance.”
The legal development raises hopes that Amone could be considered for selection for the Dragons’ first game, against the Gold Coast at Kogarah on March 12. The Dragons, who have the bye in round one, had identified Amone as the long-term halves partner for marquee halfback Ben Hunt.
Amone’s potential availability would be a huge boost for a club that has lurched from one drama to the next during the summer. The adverse headlines include the presentation dinner no-shows, Amone’s incident and a heated argument between Zane Musgrove and Mikaele Ravalawa after the Charity Shield loss.

However, the biggest issue for under-pressure coach Anthony Griffin is who will partner Hunt in the halves. Jack Bird is returning from knee surgery, Jayden Sullivan’s preparations have been hampered by a hamstring issue and Moses Mbye has had mixed results as a starting half.
The NRL is monitoring the situation. The Dragons declined to comment.

BLM01

First Grade

Legal twist could result in Amone making shock return for Dragons​

by Adrian Proszenko, smh.com.au
March 1, 2023 01:00 PM
Suspended St George Illawarra playmaker Talatau “Junior” Amone is seeking immediate reinstatement over claims he should no longer be bound by the NRL’s no-fault stand down rule due to the way his case will now be prosecuted.
Amone has been unavailable for selection since he was charged over an alleged hammer attack on a roofing contractor in November. The case of the Dragons five-eighth - who was charged with reckless grievous bodily harm in company, destroying property and intimidation - was mentioned in Wollongong Local Court on Wednesday.
Under the NRL’s rules, players charged with an offence carrying a maximum prison term of 11 years or more are automatically stood down until their court proceedings are finalised.
That was initially the case for Amone, who was facing the prospect of being behind bars for up to 14 years if the more serious grievous bodily harm charge was dealt with in the district court.

However, police confirmed on Wednesday the case would be prosecuted in the local court, where the maximum sentence available for the charge is just two years. Even if convicted of all charges, the maximum sentence available to the court is now only five years.
Amone’s high-profile lawyer, Elias Tabchouri, is taking immediate steps to lobby the NRL’s integrity unit to change its stance and allow his client to play immediately.
View attachment 70714
Junior Amone could make an unexpected return to NRL duties.Credit:GettyPhoto by: Getty
“I have been a strong advocate for the NRL integrity unit to exercise the discretion they inherently have in dealing with these matters on a case-by-case basis,” Tabchouri told the Herald.
“I believe they should exercise their discretion in this circumstance to allow Mr Amone to rejoin his team and continue with his career.
“He is stood down now in a circumstance where the 14-year sentence doesn’t apply and we are still maintaining his right to defend the matter. He is also maintaining his innocence.

“I’ve found the NRL integrity commission to be open and receptive in all of my dealings with them and hope they will again remain open to discussion in this instance.”
The legal development raises hopes that Amone could be considered for selection for the Dragons’ first game, against the Gold Coast at Kogarah on March 12. The Dragons, who have the bye in round one, had identified Amone as the long-term halves partner for marquee halfback Ben Hunt.
Amone’s potential availability would be a huge boost for a club that has lurched from one drama to the next during the summer. The adverse headlines include the presentation dinner no-shows, Amone’s incident and a heated argument between Zane Musgrove and Mikaele Ravalawa after the Charity Shield loss.

However, the biggest issue for under-pressure coach Anthony Griffin is who will partner Hunt in the halves. Jack Bird is returning from knee surgery, Jayden Sullivan’s preparations have been hampered by a hamstring issue and Moses Mbye has had mixed results as a starting half.
The NRL is monitoring the situation. The Dragons declined to comment.
we will see..interesting

SnowDragon

Juniors
I’m really interested to know what has happened to change from 14 to 2 years maximum sentence.

the total max is 5 years now if guilty of all charges and receives maximum sentence. huge Difference, but why? And he is pleading not guilty…

Old Timer

Coach
I’m really interested to know what has happened to change from 14 to 2 years maximum sentence.

the total max is 5 years now if guilty of all charges and receives maximum sentence. huge Difference, but why? And he is pleading not guilty…
It depends on the "court" that the matter is prosecuted in.

Local court evidently has a restrictions to the types of matters heard and also the sentences handed out.

RedVee_8

Juniors
It is a bit hard to understand. They, rightfully, haven’t given any of the reasons behind the decision to us.

Juniors

It is interesting to have the DPP knock back such a high profile case. could be one of or a number of Cost benefit analysis/likelyhood of conviction/strength of case/term of sentence if convicted ? id like to know

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
This has the potential to unsettle the side unless the club makes it clear how they intend to handle this whole mess. In any case, I see no good reason to rush Amone back into the side. He was just an average 5/8 last year. I'd be sticking with Sullivan for at least 4 games and see how he goes.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
14 year to maximum 5 what a huge difference. Under the stand down it surely should be considered.

I would not be rushing him in though. That is a lack of discipline if they do as he has screwed up their off season and put the team through bad press again. Why reward the guy with a start asap like nothing happened? Make him earn it and see how Sullivan goes in the first 5 rounds at least. I would hate for Bud to not get the opportunity he deserves.

May also mean that the prosecution has uncovered sufficient evidence that the injured party materially provoked Amone

Would not be surprised if the tradie ultimately does not hop on the witness stand.

Latest posts