What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Development and Reward for Clubs

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-concessions-for-raiders-20140610-zs2ku.html

NRL boss David Smith opens door to junior development concessions for Raiders

Date
June 10, 2014 - 4:04PM

Jon Tuxworth
Sports reporter at The Canberra Times

NRL boss David Smith has given the best indication yet that junior development concessions will be introduced, admitting the issue ''has been a loose end'' he wants to address by the end of the year.

The Canberra Raiders and Wests Tigers in particular have stepped up pressure on the NRL to implement a system that rewards clubs for the money they spend on development.

Canberra has threatened to cut back funding of junior development and focus on recruiting established talent at other clubs after star fullback Anthony Milford signed with Brisbane.

Raiders Group general manager Simon Hawkins and chief executive Don Furner met with the NRL last week and Smith said he wants to introduce a fairer system, which allows development clubs to be competitive.

"We've looked at the salary cap and the club funding model; what we haven't looked at is player development and how we treat that to recognise clubs like Canberra Raiders,'' Smith said.

"We've got to have a system that recognises those clubs which do the great job the Raiders do [with junior development].

"Everybody's clear it's something that's perhaps been a bit of a loose end, and it's something we're committed to having looked at by the end of the year.''

Smith said he would analyse a number of different options, but it's too early to reveal details.

"It's a combination of salary cap concessions and recognising there are additional funding needs for areas like the Raiders,'' he said.

"We want 16 competitive clubs. It's about getting that balance right and recognising the difference in clubs, because they're not all the same. It costs a lot of money to develop a player; I think we need to recognise clubs like the Raiders for doing that."

Asked if transfer fees could be introduced, Smith said: "We'll look at a system which creates as much balance as we possibly can; we'll look at all the options.''

Smith insisted he isn't concerned at Canberra's inability to attract big-name players, despite offering substantially more money than incumbent clubs.

In recent weeks the Raiders have missed out on key targets, such as Melbourne's Kevin Proctor and Penrith's Josh Mansour, before Tigers fullback James Tedesco reneged on a three-year deal to join Canberra.

"All things go in a cycle and I wouldn't say it's a worry, I'd say we need to get a system in place from a development perspective where the Raiders are recognised,'' he said.

"Hopefully they'll have a better season on-field next year, and that'll be an attraction in itself.''

Raiders chairman Allan Hawke believes the NRL is taking the club's stance more seriously in the wake of the recent dramas surrounding Tedesco and Milford.

"They [Hawkins and Furner] had a very fair meeting, and they came away thinking the NRL now understands the seriousness of the issue,'' Hawke said. "We want to see that backed up with action.

"The last week has probably given them a better perspective of the difficulties we face in attracting people to come to Canberra.''

Hawke will raise the junior concession issue again at the NRL chairman's meeting on June 19.

"I'd be surprised if it wasn't on the agenda, and if it's not there's three or four other clubs in the same position as us who want to push that issue to the NRL,'' he said.

"If we're going to put our code front and centre against the competition [for young talent] we face, we have to be fair dinkum about it.

"Our reputation for developing talent we have around the district is unparalleled, I believe. It's how we get an even break.

"I'm sure the NRL don't want us to just be making up the numbers. We certainly don't want that.

"That's why we've been so strong about his argument.'

cooko

Juniors
im a Canberra fan and I disagree with salary cap concessions for juniors

however re putting money into juniors or just saving to spend on the football club.

Every club should be responsible for having say 10000 kids playing footy on the weekend, whether that is in their local area or somewhere else they are supporting.

If clubs like easts and manly aren't doing this, then they should have to pay x dollars to the nrl for doing it.

Make no mistake the approach of easts and manly are a disease on rugby league. It is not fair for certain clubs to keep junior rugby league alive and other clubs just feed off it like vampires. Yes easts and manly I am looking at you again.

Roosters have recently partnered with Wyong so we're a little bit closer to developing 10,000 kids. When Coogee returns to our junior area we can probably add a few more.

I'm not sure of manlys region but doesn't souths also oversee the north sydney juniors?

cooko

Juniors
Border_2.JPG

Imagine if the raiders had an area the size of Woden to work with. You wouldn't have ever picked up campese or mccrone.

nick87

Coach
Imagine is the Raiders have the access to TPA of the roosters, we might be able to secure a marquee signing for longer than 72 hours

kbw

Bench
Roosters have recently partnered with Wyong so we're a little bit closer to developing 10,000 kids. When Coogee returns to our junior area we can probably add a few more.

I'm not sure of manlys region but doesn't souths also oversee the north sydney juniors?

Great for Central coast and another step in ignoring the actual local players the Roosters have.

While there is a partnership between Norths and Souths in the NSW Cup, North Sydney are responsible for their own juniors and run the HM and SG Ball teams as well as the U13s - 15s development squads

A Stray Alien

Juniors

coogee still in east junior area but there is no jnr club the coogee royals coogee Bay .coogee penquins the brothers club east randwick randwick north Bondi sharks Dunbar all died of the same thing no funding from the district club.

the two cooge clubs are souths juniors clubs the wombats train in matraville and get most of there players from that area and the dolphjns train at coogee and struggle for numbers most come from out of the area only one in coogee these days are back packers and site seers so if you think coogee is going to help the roosters you need your head read i am from one of the coogee clubs and know both there historys well

RWB

Bench
Imagine is the Raiders have the access to TPA of the roosters, we might be able to secure a marquee signing for longer than 72 hours

If you still think money is the issue then you're never going to get it.

Proctor & Tedesco were offered well over what they decided to stay at their current clubs for.

Money is only one motive in a complex decision making process. It just seems to get the most coverage.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ns-for-junior-development-20140620-zsg3h.html

NRL commits to investigating concessions for junior development

Date
June 20, 2014 - 10:00PM

Chris Wilson
Sports editor at The Canberra Times

The NRL has commited to investigating compensation for junior development by next season, Head of Football Todd Greenberg highlighting the Canberra Raiders as one of the clubs who deserve to be recognised for their ''heavy lifting'' at the grassroots level.

The Raiders have been one of the main agitators for concessions, concerned their juniors continue to be poached by rivals once the club has spent thousands of dollars on their development and they reach NRL maturity. The Raiders and Wests Tigers have both threatened to cut back junior development funding.

But at a meeting of the 16 NRL club chairmen on Thursday, officials endorsed a proposal to investigate junior concessions as part of the NRL's planned differentiated funding model by 2015.

While at present all NRL clubs receive the same annual grant of about $7 million, a differential funding model would recognise the different strenths and weaknesses of all clubs. Instead of dividing funds equally to all 16 clubs, it would set individual targets and could provide funding incentives for areas such as junior development, and compensate for inequalities in broadcasting opportunity, corporate sponsorship and membership.

Raiders chairman Allan Hawke said he was encouraged by the presentation on Thursday.

''They're going to have a specific look at the junior development issue and one of the things they're looking at is the differentiated funding model or whether there would be some allowance in the salary cap for those clubs that develop players,'' Hawke said.

Greenberg confirmed funding for junior development was on the game's immediate agenda, but there would not be any ''knee-jerk reaction''. He said the NRL was hoping to introduce the differentiated funding model by 2015, with junior concessions a possible component.

''There's a focus on making sure clubs are rewarded for the work they do in developing local juniors – that should be fundamental,'' Greenberg said.

''It's clear that some areas like Canberra have a bigger base to draw [from], but to do that they have to spend some money, so the game needs to recognise that. So that's what we'll do through concessions, [salary] cap relief or a differentiated funding model.

''i think there's a lot of clubs doing a lot of heavy lifting at the bottom – when I say the bottom, I mean the bottom of the junior development base – and Canberra's one of those clubs.

''Talking to [Canberra chief executive] Don Furner at the Raiders, I understand principally what he's talking about. They're developing talent in a local region and he's looking for advantages for his club in order to retain those players. He makes a good point and we've got to continue to find ways to ensure our clubs continue to invest in junior development.''

Greenberg said there were no concerns at the NRL about the long-term viability of the Raiders to be a competitive outfit, given Canberra has struggled to recruit marquee players. Tigers fullback James Tedesco, Melbourne Storm forward Kevin Proctor and Penrith winger Josh Mansour have all turned down more money from the Raiders to stay with their existing clubs.

But Greenberg, former chief executive of the Bulldogs, said the game was ''cyclical''.

''This is a great club, a proud club and a historic club, and it'll attract good players,'' Greenberg said of the Raiders. ''They're going through a tough spot at the moment but we have great faith they'll turn it around.

''They'll attract good players here that will happen over time, but it won't happen overnight. I've seen some of Ricky Stuart's comments in recent weeks about being patient, and I think that's great advice to local people in Canberra.''

CC_Roosters

First Grade
http://m.canberratimes.com.au/rugby...cutbacks-to-junior-teams-20150410-1mi31h.html

What is fruner on about this guy needs his head checked out. He is threatening to cut the sg ball and harold matthews sides, what exactly would that solve except destroy the pathway for young players in southern nsw. What an idiot, the raiders are very well financed so it would be a disgrace if they made any cuts to the pathways in the region

On the other hand i do think that club trained players who remain should get salary cap credits on an increasing scale the longer they stay at the club.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Good on him. Clubs shouldn't have to finance this. Juniors are juniors are juniors. Every junior in the land should be handled by the NRL. Clubs should focus on professional footy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
3 mill on running hm and sg ball teams? Yeh right. These teams directly benefit Canberra Raiders, as does Mounties and u20's squad. Good luck attracting enough external players to move to canberra if you cut your jnr pathways! The salary cap prevents them from spending this alleged 3mill on other clubs players, it is dumb argument he is making!
Maybe the govt should threaten to remove their pokie machine licenses if they remove jnr funding?

We're paying $400k of WA league Money to run an SG ball team for the benefit of all the nrl clubs.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
3 mill on running hm and sg ball teams? Yeh right.
Maybe the govt should threaten to remove their pokie machine licenses if they remove jnr funding?

We're paying $400k of WA league Money to run an SG ball team for the benefit of all the nrl clubs. Stf up Furner!

Oh cry me a f**king river. We've been spending above and beyond for decades and the NRL gives us nothing in return. Give us cap concessions for juniors or FOAD.