What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Sa'u

True EEL

Bench
It's not a matter of them not rating him. Mitchell is only 21 remember. When Hagan was coach he was 17 or 18 so it's no real surprise he didn't use him. DA gave him a bit of a run late last year. It was more a matter of him not being ready for first grade physically.

Eels Dude,

since you can hold a proper conversation without descending to idiotic name-calling, i'm happy to respond more constructively to you're point RE: Mitchell

i get what you are saying, the Coaches didn't want to rush Mitchell as maybe he wasn't ready and that is fine, i get that, however, i see Jacob Loko playing at age 18 and it appears to be a clear cut case of if you're good enough, you're old enough.....so to me, at 21-22, Mitchell should have shown that by now???

mind you, i admit that at 18 Loko is a huge beast of a thing physically and Mitchell is not exactly and Loko is not (yet anyway) playing in the forwards, but i'm sure you see what i'm saying

the biggest thing for me is, if you have an opinion that is away from the norm on here, you are treated like an idiot (not be you by the way) and for me its just getting a bit old.....i am not death-riding Mitchell - and certainly not death-riding him the way people have to MK for ages on here - just saying i dont rate him as highly (yet) as everyone else does....to me he hasn't proven himself to the types of standards that folks on here relate him too

Eels Dude

Coach
Eels Dude,

since you can hold a proper conversation without descending to idiotic name-calling, i'm happy to respond more constructively to you're point RE: Mitchell

i get what you are saying, the Coaches didn't want to rush Mitchell as maybe he wasn't ready and that is fine, i get that, however, i see Jacob Loko playing at age 18 and it appears to be a clear cut case of if you're good enough, you're old enough.....so to me, at 21-22, Mitchell should have shown that by now???

mind you, i admit that at 18 Loko is a huge beast of a thing physically and Mitchell is not exactly and Loko is not (yet anyway) playing in the forwards, but i'm sure you see what i'm saying

the biggest thing for me is, if you have an opinion that is away from the norm on here, you are treated like an idiot (not be you by the way) and for me its just getting a bit old.....i am not death-riding Mitchell - and certainly not death-riding him the way people have to MK for ages on here - just saying i dont rate him as highly (yet) as everyone else does....to me he hasn't proven himself to the types of standards that folks on here relate him too

Fair points. You are entitled with your opinion and certianly shouldn't be chastised for it.

One thing I will point out is that you see a lot of young outside backs and halves make their debuts at around 18 or 19... whether they hold their spots is another thing, but there is less physical demand on these positions then there is required of a forward.

You rarely see forwards debut until they're around 21 or 22 these days (with the exception of some Islander players who develop physically really quickly) because there is a lot required of them and their bodies need to fill out properly before they're able to handle the pace of first grade against much bigger men.

Mitchell for example made 36 tackles in a 45 minute stint last week. An incredible effort really. He wouldn't have been able to do that a year ago because he wouldn't have been physically strong enough to. Young outside backs and halves aren't required to do such a job. He's at that age now where his body has developed and he can be a regular first grader if his form warrants it. I don't necessarily think he's a superstar, I've not seen him play much, but from what I have seen I think he deserves to be given a chance and now that he's physically ready it's the perfect time.

True EEL

Bench
Fair points. You are entitled with your opinion and certianly shouldn't be chastised for it.

One thing I will point out is that you see a lot of young outside backs and halves make their debuts at around 18 or 19... whether they hold their spots is another thing, but there is less physical demand on these positions then there is required of a forward.

You rarely see forwards debut until they're around 21 or 22 these days (with the exception of some Islander players who develop physically really quickly) because there is a lot required of them and their bodies need to fill out properly before they're able to handle the pace of first grade against much bigger men.

Mitchell for example made 36 tackles in a 45 minute stint last week. An incredible effort really. He wouldn't have been able to do that a year ago because he wouldn't have been physically strong enough to. Young outside backs and halves aren't required to do such a job. He's at that age now where his body has developed and he can be a regular first grader if his form warrants it. I don't necessarily think he's a superstar, I've not seen him play much, but from what I have seen I think he deserves to be given a chance and now that he's physically ready it's the perfect time.

yes, point taken about physical demands, in fact i made this point myself RE: Loko - although being younger than Mitchell - also being much bigger and not playing in the forwards, i certainly appreciate all of that

mind you, many of Mitchell's tackles were 2nd and 3rd man in the game against the Storm and he also fell off many tackles, therefore, i wonder if he is really ready for the physical demands you are speaking of, or indeed if he will ever really be...??

Eels Dude

Coach
yes, point taken about physical demands, in fact i made this point myself RE: Loko - although being younger than Mitchell - also being much bigger and not playing in the forwards, i certainly appreciate all of that

mind you, many of Mitchell's tackles were 2nd and 3rd man in the game against the Storm and he also fell off many tackles, therefore, i wonder if he is really ready for the physical demands you are speaking of, or indeed if he will ever really be...??

He can be. He just needs to be given the opportunity to get used to playing first grade and what's required. You can't do that over 4 or 5 games. It takes time. The step up between NYC or NSW Cup to the NRL is massive these days and the only way he's going to get used to the pace of NRL is if he's allowed to string some games together. They may be third man tackles he made the other day, but 36 tackles in 45 minutes regardless is like wow. I don't even think Hindy has done that before. No wonder he was buggered and falling off tackles.

Mitchell should really be used as an interchange hooker week to week to develop him and get him used to the pace of NRL standard football. The same way Matt Keating served his apprenticeship off the bench behind Mark Riddell in 2008.

True EEL

Bench
He can be. He just needs to be given the opportunity to get used to playing first grade and what's required. You can't do that over 4 or 5 games. It takes time. The step up between NYC or NSW Cup to the NRL is massive these days and the only way he's going to get used to the pace of NRL is if he's allowed to string some games together. They may be third man tackles he made the other day, but 36 tackles in 45 minutes regardless is like wow. I don't even think Hindy has done that before. No wonder he was buggered and falling off tackles.

Mitchell should really be used as an interchange hooker week to week to develop him and get him used to the pace of NRL standard football. The same way Matt Keating served his apprenticeship off the bench behind Mark Riddell in 2008.

have never been trying to suggest that Mitchell should have proven himself in the 4-5 games he has had spread over the start and end of two seaons, hell no.....just overall, am unsure if he is going to come through the way many are hoping or suggesting.....it may even be a case of it not happening with Parra, as at the moment, we have McGuire and keating and also Robson that can go to Hooker...

and yeah, the number of tackles was a good effort, but Hindy has certainly done that before....and even though i admit he is quite often second or third man into a tackle as well....i remember a couple of SOO games where they had to take him off just before haltime as he was making tackles in-line with the game clock at SOO level...now that is wow!

and again, as i said above, sure he should serve an apprecticeship off the bench, many hookers do that and need to do that, so yeah agreed

Eels Dude

Coach
have never been trying to suggest that Mitchell should have proven himself in the 4-5 games he has had spread over the start and end of two seaons, hell no.....just overall, am unsure if he is going to come through the way many are hoping or suggesting.....it may even be a case of it not happening with Parra, as at the moment, we have McGuire and keating and also Robson that can go to Hooker...

and yeah, the number of tackles was a good effort, but Hindy has certainly done that before....and even though i admit he is quite often second or third man into a tackle as well....i remember a couple of SOO games where they had to take him off just before haltime as he was making tackles in-line with the game clock at SOO level...now that is wow!

and again, as i said above, sure he should serve an apprecticeship off the bench, many hookers do that and need to do that, so yeah agreed

Ok McGuire will probably retire at the end of the year. Robson... well he may not be offered a new contract even. Mitchell is at the start of his career and while he may not be a superstar at least has the abilities to be a long term first grader. Something McGuire and Robson cannot at this stage of their careers. So I say give him a run, at least that way you find out whether he's good enough or not.

You're correct about Hindy he has but was always pulled off around the 30 minute mark. Mitchell's tackle count for minutes played was simply outstanding for a rookie who'd just played 4 first grade games prior to sunday.

Let's just see how he progresses, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he can at least be a worthy first grader. Which is an attribute certain players in our side can't claim after playing 50 odd first grade games.

Eels Dude

Coach
Keep it short and sweet guys, otherwise you just put people to sleep.

Suity

Shut up you self indulgent funnysuitman. I'm not here to entertain you. If myself or True EEL end up in discussion about the Parramatta Eels in a forum about the Parramatta Eels so be it. If it puts you to sleep then go to bed. Sounds like from your recent posts you've woken up on the wrong side of the bed the past week. Either that or it's your time of the month.

Suitman

Post Whore
Shut up you self indulgent funnysuitman. I'm not here to entertain you. If myself or True EEL end up in discussion about the Parramatta Eels in a forum about the Parramatta Eels so be it. If it puts you to sleep then go to bed. Sounds like from your recent posts you've woken up on the wrong side of the bed the past week. Either that or it's your time of the month.

I rest my case. Even that post made me yawn.
It's just boring sh*t, so my tip is......at least try and liven it up.

Suity

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Ok McGuire will probably retire at the end of the year. Robson... well he may not be offered a new contract even. Mitchell is at the start of his career and while he may not be a superstar at least has the abilities to be a long term first grader. Something McGuire and Robson cannot at this stage of their careers. So I say give him a run, at least that way you find out whether he's good enough or not.

You're correct about Hindy he has but was always pulled off around the 30 minute mark. Mitchell's tackle count for minutes played was simply outstanding for a rookie who'd just played 4 first grade games prior to sunday.

Let's just see how he progresses, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he can at least be a worthy first grader. Which is an attribute certain players in our side can't claim after playing 50 odd first grade games.

Can't really see McGuire retiring unless he gets a serious injury. In the opening rounds he has been to good to be considering retiring, plus he only turned 30 this year so does have at least 2 years left in him.

Eels Dude

Coach
Can't really see McGuire retiring unless he gets a serious injury. In the opening rounds he has been to good to be considering retiring, plus he only turned 30 this year so does have at least 2 years left in him.

He turned 31 actually. And he previously stated when he signed with us that he just wanted one more year in the NRL before he ended his career. The fact he's suffered a minor injury in the early rounds shows his body just cannot cope with NRL level football anymore and he probably knows that himself.

True EEL

Bench
Keep it short and sweet guys, otherwise you just put people to sleep.

Suity

umm, gee, thanks for the tip your lordship....hmm, self-indulgent was a pretty good description....seriously, its a Parramatta forum - if you don't like it, don't read it :sarcasm:

SDM

First Grade
umm, gee, thanks for the tip your lordship....hmm, self-indulgent was a pretty good description....seriously, its a Parramatta forum - if you don't like it, don't read it :sarcasm:

That was short and boring, maybe you shouldn't bother....

True EEL

Bench
That was short and boring, maybe you shouldn't bother....

ouch....burn....!!! oohh u got me dude :sarcasm:
so, you couldn't come up with a decent comeback to our last little foray, so thought you would loiter around and see if you could prey on another comment of mine to another poster....hmm, time to get a day job dude, at least i'm on holidays and have an excuse to be on here as much as i have been bothered too lately...