What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a thought....

Knightmare

Coach
Next year there will be two Friday night games on TV. Does anyone else think that if the Broncos feature in one of them, Channel 9 in Queensland will show the Broncos game live then put on a 'Hogan's Heroes' re-run afterwards instead of the other game? After all, nobody up here cares about Rugby League if the Broncos aren't playing :roll: .......

Leagueguy

Juniors
I understand non-broncos fans don't like seeing Broncos games everyweek. However don't blame nine, they are there to get ratings. Consider also that ratings are a measure of satisfaction amongst fans. Obviously showing Broncos games in Brisbane makes more people happy than unhappy. So isn't that the best outcome.

nqboy

First Grade
I disagree. Nein (Brisbane) show Broncos games because they sponsor the Broncos. There is a fair size tide of anti-Broncos feeling in Brissie and it is possible that they would get even better ratings if they showed the match of the round instead.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Well I'd like to see the ratings, but I'd be very surprised if Broncos games didn't outrate, non-broncos games/match of the round.

Eelectrica

Referee
Knightmare said:
Next year there will be two Friday night games on TV. Does anyone else think that if the Broncos feature in one of them, Channel 9 in Queensland will show the Broncos game live
I don't run Channel nine in Queensland so I have no idea what they'll do. I highly doubt that would be it though

then put on a 'Hogan's Heroes're-run afterwards instead of the other game?
I don't know who owns the rights to Hogans Heros at this time, I'm sure after some investigation of your own, you'll find out soon enough and won't have to worry about missing an episode.
After all, nobody up here cares about Rugby League if the Broncos aren't playing :roll: .......
Really? Last time checked I live in Queensland and don't much care for the Broncos. Unless of course NSW have somehow moved their border around 50 k's or so north of where it used to be.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Even if your a non broncos fan, it can work out well for you when they play Saturday nights. You then get three games on free to air if you don't have fox.

BrisVegas

Juniors
It's not far from the truth actually. The two friday night games will both start at 7:30, and when possible one of those games will include a QLD team. The game featuring the Broncos/Cowboys/Titans will be broadcast live into QLD, irrespective of which game is broadcast live into NSW. The other game will then follow. Channel 9 can choose the order they wish to broadcast the matches on a state by state basis.

Kingytek

Juniors
I was really looking forward to watching the Roosters Knights game at Central coast but was pissed off to find the Broncos game was on and as it turned out I had already seen the score in the bronc game before it started.
Wasnt happy

Captain Clark

Juniors
Eelectrica said:
I don't run Channel nine in Queensland so I have no idea what they'll do. I highly doubt that would be it though

I don't know who owns the rights to Hogans Heros at this time, I'm sure after some investigation of your own, you'll find out soon enough and won't have to worry about missing an episode.

Really? Last time checked I live in Queensland and don't much care for the Broncos. Unless of course NSW have somehow moved their border around 50 k's or so north of where it used to be.

Well you're just a f**king loser.

nqboy

First Grade
Leagueguy said:
Even if your a non broncos fan, it can work out well for you when they play Saturday nights. You then get three games on free to air if you don't have fox.
"if you don't have fox" being the most important part of that sentence. No offence, but I couldn't imagine anything worse than having three Nein games on delay, ruined by ads and the simple-minded bias that pervades the Nein commentary teams.

It's like they have an intelligence test to screen applicants. If you have any, you're ruled out.

Gibbo

Juniors
I don't mind it at all, becuase on the Gold Coast you pick up nine (QLD) and NBN (NSW), so you get to see two games instead of one. But i could understand how it could annoy the rest of QLD. I reckon it wouldn't be a bad thing to do in Melbourne though i.e. Give preference to storm Sunday games, especially next year when nine only has the league to show.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Where is it written in stone that nine shows both games? I would have thought one game would go to fox. Or does nine have exclusive rights to friday night games?

I can't believe the recent fan poll indicated the public are happy with nines broadcasts.

Sir Biffo

Bench
I live on the Sunshine Coast and get both games as well. It's garbage that Brisbane viewers get the crappy Bronco's games though, I mean last week missing out on Storm v Dragons for Bronco's v Tigers ... please.

Mut

Juniors
Its because QLD'er are idiots. Example include

1. Sir Joh
2. No daylight saving
3. Wayne Bennett as coach and QLD worshipping him
4. Mr Saab
5. Majority thinking Lockyer better than Johns
6. Wally Lewis has a job on TV

QLD'ers are an inferior race to us in NSW. They are the like the genius brother who lives in the basement. They can watch Hogans Heroes for all the mut cares. they are a slight on our game.

Mut rues the day it become the NRL from the ARL from the NSWRL

Wooooo! Get some mut up yarse!

Serc

First Grade
Knightmare said:
Next year there will be two Friday night games on TV. Does anyone else think that if the Broncos feature in one of them, Channel 9 in Queensland will show the Broncos game live then put on a 'Hogan's Heroes' re-run afterwards instead of the other game?

I can gaurantee it.

Until I got Foxtel last week, I prayed every week that there wasn't a Broncos game on Sunday arvos! I thought my problem was finally solved by Foxtel last week until i watched the *ridiculous 1hr badly edited highlights* of the Knights vs Roosters game at 7:30pm.

Ch 9 have NEVER stuck the Knights game over the top of the preferred game in Newcastle (at least during the time I lived there), thank goodness NBN has respect for supporters of other teams and has the grace of putting the Knights game (if its non-preferred) later on at night.

_Johnsy

Referee
On any given sunday the Broncos could be playing the Thargomindah thunderbolts, and melb v doggies and 9 in Brissy would play the broncs V Thargomindah. Absolute joke.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
My son's class is full of kids who follow teams that are not the Broncos. Obviously I live in Brisbane too.

This is how I see it in QLD. And I'm a fair person. The pick of the QLD teams for the round should get a preference on Nine on Sunday. So say Titan's v Cowboys, Brisbane v South (or next years closest thing to them)... The Titans v Cowboys game should get the gig.

The forced monopoly the Broncos have on the League market is not winning them many fans.

Knightmare

Coach
Gibbo said:
I don't mind it at all, becuase on the Gold Coast you pick up nine (QLD) and NBN (NSW), so you get to see two games instead of one. But i could understand how it could annoy the rest of QLD. I reckon it wouldn't be a bad thing to do in Melbourne though i.e. Give preference to storm Sunday games, especially next year when nine only has the league to show.

If there is an alternate channel on which you can watch the normal televised game (like NBN Gold Coast), then I would have no problem with 9 showing the Broncos game. But if there is no alternative :crazy: I dread the day when the Broncos will have a bye and 9 up here will televise Broncos training live from Red Hill rather than a top of the table clash! :shock:

Knightmare

Coach
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
My son's class is full of kids who follow teams that are not the Broncos. Obviously I live in Brisbane too.

This is how I see it in QLD. And I'm a fair person. The pick of the QLD teams for the round should get a preference on Nine on Sunday. So say Titan's v Cowboys, Brisbane v South (or next years closest thing to them)... The Titans v Cowboys game should get the gig.

The forced monopoly the Broncos have on the League market is not winning them many fans.

Exactly! Now if they showed the best out of who the Broncos, the Cowboys or (soon) the Titans were playing, I could understand that. But to think that everyone in Brisbane (or Queensland) would rather watch the Broncos play Souths at Suncorp (wouldn't all Broncos fans be at the game anyway?) than say, Melbourne vs the Bulldogs in a fight for 1st on the ladder is kidding themselves!