What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just curious on what ppl would do:

What would u do if u get a penaltie right in front and it's your first attacking set down there

• Total voters

Clintsheaff23

Juniors
Hi everyone not sure if I'm in the right spot for this but just wanna ask what ppl would do in this case I was co coaching in a game of footy and need to settle an argument:

U get a full set of 6 tackles on the other teams try line u get a penaltie right in front What's your decision as coach:

Option 1: Take the penaltie shot

Or

Option 2: have a crack at attacking the line with full set.

P.S.

Don't forget that it's the first set down there end and your yet to attack there line which would u do?

Clintsheaff23

Juniors
Hi everyone not sure if I'm in the right spot for this but just wanna ask what ppl would do in this case I was co coaching in a game of footy and need to settle an argument:

U get a full set of 6 tackles on the other teams try line u get a penaltie right in front What's your decision as coach:

Or

P.S.

Don't forget that it's the first set down there end and your yet to attack there line which would u do?

wibble

Bench
Depends on a lot. What level of football? What are the relative strengths of the teams? How important is the result?

Generally, if defences are good, but you want to entertain or learn, go for the try. If you want to win, go for the goal.

If defences are bad, go for the try.

At NRL level? In most cases, if scores are even, go for the goal.

Clintsheaff23

Juniors
The book of Flanno

Take the two.

Won a Grand final by a penalty goal.

This is no lie.

Jimmy banished to France, but we love his right boot.

See i disagree I see that as a negative play it's not even 5mins into the game and are yet to test there defence wouldn't it make sense to go for the try instead of the 2pts

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Or

P.S.

Trick question.

There’s no such thing as a “penaltie”

Clintsheaff23

Juniors
Hold the pil, take the two.
Would u still take the 2 even if u don't have a recognised goal kicker as we ended up taken the 2 against my decision to go for the try the goal kick ended up going under the goal post right in front so came away with nothing

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Also, it's not a try line, it's a goal line.

The answer to your question depends on your assessment of the defence. Early in the game, so they're well rested. If they're any good they'll hold you out. So take the two.

But if their defensive line is looking like a dog's hind leg, might be a gamble worth taking. But there has to be no question about it, and a good playmaker will read it well. If there's any delay or uncertainty, kick the goal and get back to restart with the ball in hand. Consider it an early gift.
Would u still take the 2 even if u don't have a recognised goal kicker as we ended up taken the 2 against my decision to go for the try the goal kick ended up going under the goal post right in front so came away with nothing
Hang on, you didn't say that up front.

What's the age group?

Fight to win, backline movement, banana kick to a Morris, improve the position and hopefully 6 points.

Goes to bunker, interference and tiny knock on.

But much more fun.

Parra

Referee

Or

P.S.

Captain points at the posts. You get the kicker to line up like he is taking the shot. Captain tells the ref you are just taking a kick. Get the winger to stand wide, have the kicker kick to the corner and you score an easy try, undefended as the opposition is all waiting near the posts.

Or just take the two.

Captain points at the posts. You get the kicker to line up like he is taking the shot. Captain tells the ref you are just taking a kick. Get the winger to stand wide, have the kicker kick to the corner and you score an easy try, undefended as the opposition is all waiting near the posts.

Or just take the two.

Captains challenge and referred to the bunker.

“The tee is placed, the hooker is not offside at this point, I’m looking at the number of steps back...”

Latest posts