What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just watched the Sunday footy show & Fred Fittler quoted a stat that said if Brails runs the ball more than twice, Sharks win 80% of games. Hows that?

Don Tweddle

Juniors
These kind of stats can be misleading imo. Good dummy halfs are going to run more when the defensive line is retreating or staggered or there's a really fast play the ball etc.

It's not simply the case that we're more likely to win if Brailey runs straight into a defensive wall for the hell of it more often.

Edit: typo

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
These kind of stats can be misleading imo. Good dummy halfs are going to run more when the defensive line is retreating or staggered or there's a really fast play the ball etc.

It's not simply the case that we're more likely to win if Brailey runs straight into a defensive wall for the hell of it more often.

Edit: typo
Yeah exactly....we don't necessarily win more often because of his runs but I will say we look much more dangerous side when he does run.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Speaking of CTE. Keith Titmus, that kid from Manly that died and landed Dessie in hot water has been diagnosed with CTE post mortem (as it has to be).

That's going to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Can't paste any of the stories as I don't have subscriptions.

Here's one link anyway

Chimp

Bench
Speaking of CTE. Keith Titmus, that kid from Manly that died and landed Dessie in hot water has been diagnosed with CTE post mortem (as it has to be).

That's going to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Can't paste any of the stories as I don't have subscriptions.

Here's one link anyway

That does make things interesting, particularly given his age. Would suggest anybody who does anything physical and that involves contact or shaking of the head is at risk.
I’d guess if they did a large enough sample (I’m talking 100’s of thousands), they’d probably find most people who live any sort of active life will have signs of it.

coolumsharkie

Referee
That does make things interesting, particularly given his age. Would suggest anybody who does anything physical and that involves contact or shaking of the head is at risk.
I’d guess if they did a large enough sample (I’m talking 100’s of thousands), they’d probably find most people who live any sort of active life will have signs of it.
Perhaps not all are susceptible to it. Considering you can't test for it while breathing equals a big problem for the sport. Any contact sport.

Chimp

Bench
Perhaps not all are susceptible to it. Considering you can't test for it while breathing equals a big problem for the sport. Any contact sport.
Which is why for me, the only way forward for any sport is to define it as a ‘known and accepted risk’ - I get that doesn’t work under current legal frameworks, but something will have to give eventually, either contact sport dies, or the participants are required to sign disclaimers - you can’t have a halfway house, it won’t ever work.
In rugby league terms, yes you can penalise high shots, and make changes to reduce ferocity of contact (no kick offs, shorten the 10m etc), but that would ruin the spectacle of the game, and there’d still be accidental/incidental contact, which is all we really see anyway nowadays - long gone are most deliberate head highs.
Life is for living, almost everything comes with risk, accept it and get on with it….

Mako-Ver

Juniors
I reckon they will end up finding this thing is unrelated to headknocks. How many "24 hours a day gamers" brains have been examined? How many Barristers brains have been examined?
Correlation is not causation.

Latest posts